Tom Brady is the "greatest" quarterback since the merger.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Taking all factors into account Brady wins. Not by much, but he does.

He has the statistics and personal records. He has the playoff wins and the Super Bowl wins.

Some people may claim that Montana's four wins in four Super Bowls is better than Brady's 3 out of 5. Well, Montana played before free agency and the salary cap. That's the big difference. With those two conditions Super Bowl winning teams are almost guaranteed to turn over significant players within a year or two.

Montana had the best team and that team got to stay together for many years. Brady went to the Super Bowl last year with virtually an entirely new team then the ones he went to his first Super Bowls with.

Brady has had to play several different styles of QB. The ball control qb. The deep passing qb. The passing as a running game.

When Brady had a great deep threat he set the passing touchdown record. When he had a great slot receiver he revolutionized the position with the short passing game.

The expanded playoffs let more teams in which meant that the hot team had a chance of getting in and running the table. Which is what the Giants did recently.

Currently the race for greatest qb is very tight. If Brady gets the Pats in again, with the 25th ranked defense, win or lose, he clearly becomes the greatest qb ever.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Not a Patriots fan, but I agree. The only reason it's even in doubt is because of a pair of ludicrous circus catches by the Giants in the last two Super Bowls. When it takes something completely unbelievable like the Velcro catch on David Tyree's helmet to beat you, then you know you're playing the best ever.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I see a typo in your title. "Tom Brady" is commonly spelled: "Joe Montana"

...and sometimes "Steve Young"

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
Tom Brady is a very good quarterback, but the greatest of all time??? Thanks for the laugh.

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
u know i dunno
its like as an ne fan hes an all time great he has the arguement, dont like speaking in asbolutes in any sport neccesarily, im ok with the company hes in
its been a real treat being an ne fan and when hes gone ...man its going to suck for the next guy.
we got aces and drew an all time great, hes maybe bigger ven than larry legend and into russell territory
sick of the superbowl shit but there be days well long to lose in a sb

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Not a Patriots fan, but I agree. The only reason it's even in doubt is because of a pair of ludicrous circus catches by the Giants in the last two Super Bowls. When it takes something completely unbelievable like the Velcro catch on David Tyree's helmet to beat you, then you know you're playing the best ever.

srsly

The only reason why tom brady doesn't have 5 rings is because God is a Giants fan.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
I think arguing greatest of all time is kind of impossible. You can argue greatest of the current era but comparing across generations isn't really a fair way to compare. Example, yes Brady does play in the world of free agency while Joe Montana did not. However Brady is also playing in an NFL that plays under a ruleset designed to make quarterbacks thrive. They're protected and their receivers are given much more cushion than in the past.

Is he the best of the current generation? I think so. It would be very difficult to argue for anyone else based purely on results. Peyton Manning would be in the conversation but whether the playoff losses are on him or someone else the point is he's 1/2 in super bowls.

CLite

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2005
The expanded playoffs let more teams in which meant that the hot team had a chance of getting in and running the table. Which is what the Giants did recently

The basis of one of your arguments is simply wrong. The giants were the #5 NFC seed in 2007 and the NFC East division champion in 2011. Both of these were playoff berths prior to the expanded playoffs.

Carry on though......

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
What 3rd down means in the Brady household:
Gabriela+ve+Rafaela+Bundchen,+%C3%BCnl%C3%BCmanken+Gisele+Bundchen'in+karde%C5%9Fleri..jpg

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Montana had the best team and that team got to stay together for many years.

This doesn't make sense. If the 49ers had the best team with little turnover, they would have won every year. They had plenty of turn over as well as injuries and varying levels of maturity from year to year.

You can't say montana played with more hall of famers because there will be plenty of pats in the HOF. And if free agency is why it's harder for brady, you also have to take in account montana competed against teams before free agency, which theoretically (according to your argument), should all have been tougher to beat as well.

Both players had some exceptional talent around them as well as exceptional coaching. Both players are also exceptional leaders. Both are clutch players.

At this point, I find it hard to say Montana was hands down better than brady, but I'm not ready to say brady is hands down better than montana.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Eli Manning and Coughlin is the best duo of all time, they beat Knoll/Bradshaw, Walsh/Montana, and Brady/Belichick.