"Tolerant" Palin, not so tolerant afterall

robphelan

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2003
After telling the entire world how tolerant towards homosexuals she is during her "debate", she thumbs her nose at McCain and now publicly supports a Constitutional ban on gay marriage (McCain wants to leave it up to the states).

link

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: robphelan
After telling the entire world how tolerant towards homosexuals she is during her "debate", she thumbs her nose at McCain and now publicly supports a Constitutional ban on gay marriage (McCain wants to leave it up to the states).

link

:thumbsdown:

Has no reason to be in the US Constitution, period.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
No surprise. Apparently she belongs to our own American equivalent of the Taliban, militant religious fundamentalists who want to use the highest levers of state power to enforce the theocratic dictates of their angry, vengeful, primitive God on YOU.

Allah Akhbar! :roll:

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Perknose
No surprise. Apparently she belongs to our own American equivalent of the Taliban, militant religious fundamentalists who want to use the highest levers of state power to enforce the theocratic dictates of their angry, vengeful, primitive God on YOU.

Hmm....Not allowing gays to marry does not = Taliban. You are minimizing the strife that homosexuals in radical Islamic states go through, dont you think? As in being stoned possibly.

Oh wait, according to Mr. Imadingusjackoff, there are no gays over there.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Suggesting that people who oppose gay marriage also hate gays is akin to saying that people who are pro-choice hate kids.

One does not equal the other.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Suggesting that people who oppose gay marriage also hate gays is akin to saying that people who are pro-choice hate kids.

Only when you rationalize and compartmentalize via bigotry. Opposition to gay marriage is hate. It is the desire to prevent, because of insane bigotry, another person from having what you do. The religious bigot wants to proclaim his love for another before God with all the emotional joy that brings, but he or she wants to prevent other people bases on pure bigotry, from doing exactly the same. Such people are vial and evil and don't deserve a place in civilized society. They are identical to racist swine.

Rike

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2004
Originally posted by: robphelan

link

I'm betting that Palin knows her ship is going down so she's getting on record (again) as a hardcore conservative. It will put her in a position to do well with the hardcore conservatives in the future. After all, she's still fairly young as a politician, she's going to be around for a while.

Maybe she'll run for Uncle Ted's job if he doesn't make it this time around. Or maybe even if he does.

Rike

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2004
Originally posted by: Corbett
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Opposition to gay marriage is hate.

With statements like this, it really doesn't leave much room for debate, does it?

That's the point. Because everyone who does not think the "correct" way is an idiot. Of course, no one who is remotely rational has ever really been convinced to see things differently by being called an idiot. Only true idiots are converted. Thus, such statements only serve to comfort those with whom you agree and encourage the true idiots to change sides, temporarily.

n yusef

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2005
Originally posted by: loki8481
Opposition to gay marriage is hate..

so why are you championing Obama?

Many Obama supporters (myself included) are really disappointed that he must be against gay marriage for political expediency. All candidates have to face the bigoted majority in order to get elected, and I see this as a necessary evil.

That said, and judging by the tone of the Republican campaign, I would assume that Obama would be better on gay rights than McCain.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007

Obama doesn't want to ban gay marriage. If a state bans it, that's the result of their own bigotry.

There really is no room for argument on equal rights.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
She'll have about as much luck getting it passed as Bush did.

Just another way of trying to get rubes in the voting booth.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

Your analogy is false and poor.

Your point is correct despite that - just as those who support slavery of blacks don't have to hate blacks.

Just as those who oppose interracial marriage don't necessarily hate the couples.

It's not that they have to hate the people. They're just bigots.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Governor Palin is quite tolerant of Gays. Just so long as they stay in their place.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

With statements like this, it really doesn't leave much room for debate, does it?

Let's try it your way, Corbett. Debate slavery with me.

I'm taking the position that saying opposition to interracial marriage is hate 'doesn't leave much room for debate, does it?'

Now you presumably argue how opposing interracial marriage is not hate.

Can you follow through with the standard you lay out?

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008

um... isn't there a slight difference between wanting to ban gay marriage and supporting the murder of homosexuals in the street?

This is truly disrespectful to all of the homosexuals who have to live with a constant treat to their lives due to government issued requirements of death-on-sight.

]Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Only when you rationalize and compartmentalize via bigotry. Opposition to gay marriage is hate. It is the desire to prevent, because of insane bigotry, another person from having what you do. The religious bigot wants to proclaim his love for another before God with all the emotional joy that brings, but he or she wants to prevent other people bases on pure bigotry, from doing exactly the same. Such people are vial and evil and don't deserve a place in civilized society. They are identical to racist swine.
Even you must agree, my fellow racist swine friend *remember you said in another thread that we are all racist, and you are correct*, that there are differing levels of hate/bigotry, no?

I don't know what the problem with letting states decide this issue is, It's not like it's killing anyone either way, it is just a stupid wedge-issue used to make the mindless on both sides give money time and energy to the political process.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

I think a better analogy might be the "separate but equal" laws aimed at blacks not all that long ago. Maybe she don't "hate" gay people, but Palin seems fine with declaring they have fewer rights than straight people do. I'm not sure what the best way to describe that would be, but it's NOT OK just because she's not literally gay bashing.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

Good...this isn't an issue where every viewpoint is just as good as any other. There aren't a lot of issues like that, but gay bashing (which is what attacking the rights of gay people amounts to) is one of those areas where I'm fine putting aside my liberal desire to let everyone have their own opinion and just be honest...Palin and people who think like her are bigots, plain and simple.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: n yusef

Many Obama supporters (myself included) are really disappointed that he must be against gay marriage for political expediency. All candidates have to face the bigoted majority in order to get elected, and I see this as a necessary evil.

injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere... unless you need votes.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Ocguy31

Hmm....Not allowing gays to marry does not = Taliban.

Yes it does

Please leave the country if you don't like it.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Originally posted by: Rainsford

Good...this isn't an issue where every viewpoint is just as good as any other.

Would it be fair to say that you believe that bigotry, no matter against who or why, is wrong and there is honestly no room for debate on that subject?
injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere... unless you need votes.
QFIronicT