Toddler kills his mother

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
http://www.krem.com/story/news/loca...ooting-kills-hayden-walmart-shopper/21058855/

HAYDEN, Idaho—A toddler shot and killed a Walmart shopper Tuesday morning in what deputies described as an "accident."

Walmart employees evacuated the Hayden store around 10:20 a.m. following the gunshot.

Deputies with the Kootenai County Sheriff's Office responded to the scene and found a 29-year-old woman dead inside the store.

A woman was shopping with four kids, when her two-year-old son reached into her purse and accidentally discharged the weapon, according deputies. Authorities said the toddler was seated in the shopping cart when the gun was discharged. The woman and children were in the back of the store near the electronics area when the deadly shooting happened.

Deputies said the woman was in town for holidays and is not from the area. Authorities said the victim did have a concealed weapon. At 2:20 p.m., authorities said it was unclear if the woman had a concealed weapon permit.

Video surveillance in the store, along with eye witness testimony helped deputies determine that this was an accident.

Walmart issued this statement Tuesday afternoon:

"A very sad incident occurred at our store today involving the death of a female customer. We are fully cooperating with the Kootenai County Sheriff's deputies as they investigate this matter."

Walmart plans to reopen their Hayden location at 6:00 a.m. Wednesday, December 31st.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Gun safeties exist for a reason.

Sad story, especially considering it's the Holidays.

Fern

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
My handgun doesn't have a safety. But then again I don't leave it around two year olds while loaded and ready to fire.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
What type of gun do y'all think this was? I didn't think a 2 year old would be able to pull the trigger on most of the guns out there.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
It's obvious you don't have children or been around many.
My pocket .38 was ~10lbs. Doubt a 2YO could do that.

I do carry it in a nemesis holster though. Not the wife's purse.

Plaxico got 3years (?) for his idiocy. Never overestimate the brains of gun owners.:D

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
My handgun doesn't have a safety. But then again I don't leave it around two year olds while loaded and ready to fire.

Is yours a fairly old revolver?

Most of mine are, but I have purchased a couple of Colt SSA pistols clones and they have a safety. Something called a transfer safety bar or some such.

I have a couple of semi-auto's. Both have safeties, even my Colt 1911 made in 1913 (it has two).

Fern

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
It's obvious you don't have children or been around many.

I have a 5 year old. At 2, you'd think they'd have a much higher chance of shooting themselves than someone else considering how puffy their digits are and how clumsy they can be.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
This story is just one more data point proving that guns are the answer to our self-defeinse prayers.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
I have a 5 year old. At 2, you'd think they'd have a much higher chance of shooting themselves than someone else considering how puffy their digits are and how clumsy they can be.

I bet the pistol never left the purse, toddler's finger entered the trigger guard and exerted enough pressure compress the trigger.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
We should pass gun control that limits two year olds from using firearms so these kinds of tragedies wouldn't happen.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Anyone else think that the standard person should keep the gun and the clip separate? Too often they seem to just keep them loaded with one in the chamber. Complete and utter stupidity.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Remember folks you or a loved one is 100 times more likely to be killed by your gun then they are from some criminals gun.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
Anyone else think that the standard person should keep the gun and the clip separate? Too often they seem to just keep them loaded with one in the chamber. Complete and utter stupidity.

nope. But honestly, some oversight should be made in the civilian ccw holster market. we really dont need people leaving guns in purses or cars. Keep it on you or leave it at home