To all ATOT runners...

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I'm training for a physical test -- it's coming up soon (Friday), and I think I'm borderline passing for the run (1.5mi). Would it be more beneficial for me to run once in the morning and again at night, or should I allow myself a full day between 'sets'?

I'm thinking twice daily should be okay, but I'm looking for the most efficient way to improve..and I've learned that more training isn't always better.

And no, I didn't just start today...I'm not that bad of a procrastinator. ;)

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
What time of the day is the test? You train at that time so your body is used to it. Run only once a day. Do not run the day before the test. What is the test and what do you have to pass, distance or time? Then I can help you on your hasty training (you waited just a little long didn't you to ask for advice? :))

SWScorch

Diamond Member
May 13, 2001
Running doubles really only makes a difference if you're running high mileage, AFAIK. I think it would probably be best to only run once per day, but make it count. I don't mean run every run as a workout, just if you were going to run, say, 3 miles in the am and 3 in the pm, maybe just run 5 once per day. That way, you get the endurance, the added aerobic benefit of a longer run, and more time for your body to recover. Especially if it's on Friday, running twice per day would probably just tire you out.

However, this is just my train of thought. I'm not a coach so I may be wrong. I'll see if I can find anything about this for you.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: F22 Raptor
What time of the day is the test? You train at that time so your body is used to it. Run only once a day. Do not run the day before the test. What is the test and what do you have to pass, distance or time? Then I can help you on your hasty training (you waited just a little long didn't you to ask for advice? :))

I've been training for the rest of the test for months -- didn't start running until recently (trying to put on weight).

After a ~3hr written test, I have the PT test..so probably around 11am-noon:

Bench 96% bodyweight (one rep after warmup)
31 pushups (no time limit)
39-41 (can't recall exactly) situps in one minute
1.5mi run in 13:06

My running has been getting better since I started, but if there's a more efficient way, it wouldn't hurt.

I was expecting the test to be July-August -- found out two weeks beforehand that it was on June 2nd. It's not lack of preparation - it's lack of notice. I've been primarily working on overall strength/weight gain, with the plan of running later. However, as you can see, the time arrived significantly sooner than I expected.

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Originally posted by: CadetLee
Originally posted by: F22 Raptor

I've been training for the rest of the test for months -- didn't start running until recently (trying to put on weight).

After a ~3hr written test, I have the PT test..so probably around 11am-noon:

Bench 96% bodyweight (one rep after warmup)
31 pushups (no time limit)
39-41 (can't recall exactly) situps in one minute
1.5mi run in 13:06

My running has been getting better since I started, but if there's a more efficient way, it wouldn't hurt.

I was expecting the test to be July-August -- found out two weeks beforehand that it was on June 2nd. It's not lack of preparation - it's lack of notice. I've been primarily working on overall strength/weight gain, with the plan of running later. However, as you can see, the time arrived significantly sooner than I expected.

I see, Well I suggest running exactly 1.5miles and timing yourself. No need to do more or less. Just give it your all, and when the heat is on you should do even better.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
So once/day seems to be the best bet, then. My test is mid-day..but I can't run then (work) -- better off early morning (6am) or late afternoon/evening...or should it not matter?

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Originally posted by: CadetLee
So once/day seems to be the best bet, then. My test is mid-day..but I can't run then (work) -- better off early morning (6am) or late afternoon/evening...or should it not matter?

Run in the morning when you have more energy. Make sure to eat a dinner high in carbohydrates the night before and hydrate well the rest of this week. Eat a lot of pasta and chicken, carb loading before a compeition always helps. Usually after eat your big meals. Something like a power bar and maybe some cereal (Smart Start for mornings is highy reccomended by me, 46gs of good carbs) before. And, you are in luck, you only need a week to carb load. :)

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
If you do the twice a day approach, the most you'll want to do is 2 miles----1 there and 1 back....and shoot for a 12-14 minute routine.

One of the little known facts about running is that there's a major bell curve in what you get for your time when you run. 12-14 minutes is the peak of that curve for 90% of the people out there... If you want to get maximum effectiveness for your training...do a light run for about a mile to a mile and a half.....take a stretch break, then run up some hills....jog down, run up, jog down....do sets of 5 and if the hills are big enough, you can split them into halves or thirds increasing your distance each set. Then run back to where you started. This is how I trained back when I ran in high school. 6 of us 8 distance runners went to state training this way....and I basically lost about 15 pounds in 2 months every season when we started running like this again. It's brutal.