TN man quits job after getting W2 with 666 on it

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/tenne...r-getting-w-2-with--666--on-it-195255048.html

A Tennessee maintenance worker has quit his job after discovering the number "666" printed on his W-2 tax form.

The man, Walter Slonopas, a 52-year-old born-again Christian, told The Tennessean that God was worth more than money.

The number 666 is commonly referred to as the number of the beast and is often associated with the devil. (The number played a pivotal role in the classic horror movie "The Omen.") Revelation 13:18 in the New Testament says, "Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."

This wasn't the first time that Slonopas had a work-related run-in with the notorious number. When he first began his job in 2011, he said, he was accidentally assigned the number 666 to be used when he clocked in. His number was later changed to 668.

However, a few months later, when the company updated its clock-in system, Slonopas was again assigned the number 666. He quit, but returned to work after being given yet another new number.

The Tennessean spoke with Bob LaCourciere, vice president of sales and marketing for the Revstone Corp., Slonopas' former company, about the W-2 form. He explained that the number referred to the order in which the tax documents were mailed.

Slonopas, who calls the situation "unbelievable," is seeking a new W-2 with a different number on it. He says that he can't file his taxes without one.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. Can't say I'm surprised, however.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Why is he stupid? He believes something and that something to him was greater than his job. He didn't hurt anyone, he decided what was best for him, but the job accomodated him. Jobs have accomdated the beliefs and other religous people's ideals, so I see this as no different.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Jokes on him, they recently found out the sign of the devil is 616 :D

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Why is he stupid? He believes something and that something to him was greater than his job. He didn't hurt anyone, he decided what was best for him, but the job accomodated him. Jobs have accomdated the beliefs and other religous people's ideals, so I see this as no different.

:rolleyes: He's stupid for thinking "666" is somehow anything but a number.

He can do what he wants, and the company can too, but I still call this guy stupid for believing 666 is anything other than just a number.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
:rolleyes: He's stupid for thinking "666" is somehow anything but a number.

He can do what he wants, and the company can too, but I still call this guy stupid for believing 666 is anything other than just a number.

Really?

Are muslim people stupid because they believe they shouldn't eat pork or the fact they believe their head should covered? Or jewish people who believe you should buried so many hours after dying? He has a religous belief, as long as it doesn't interfere or intrude on others personal space I see no problem with it. He is not stupid, maybe a little paranoid.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
As long as he's not out there suing to force people to accommodate his particular phobia of that number, I have no problem with his actions.

It is kind of strange that they keep assigning him that number though. Maybe they just want to get rid of the guy and figured out a way to do it.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003

Yes.

Are muslim people stupid because they believe they shouldn't eat pork or the fact they believe their head should covered?

Yes.

Or jewish people who believe you should buried so many hours after dying?

Yes.

He has a religous belief, as long as it doesn't interfere or intrude on others personal space I see no problem with it. He is not stupid, maybe a little paranoid.

Your examples (and the guy in the OP article) are instances of stupid beliefs that people are stupid for having. These people may be smart in other aspects of life, but they're stupid for having these stupid beliefs.

I also never said I have a problem with it or that anyone else should have a problem with it. He can be as stupid as he wants, but I can also call him out on that stupidity.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Jokes on him, they recently found out the sign of the devil is 616 :D

hehe, indeed.

...and, this guy has been assigned the number 666 twice...shouldn't it be us who react?

I mean, this guy is likely the Beast! :awe:

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
Your examples (and the guy in the OP article) are instances of stupid beliefs that people are stupid for having. These people may be smart in other aspects of life, but they're stupid for having these stupid beliefs.

being gay is a stupid choice :p

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
The W2 only reflects what information is within the system on him.

Apparently, he is unable to understand that.

the company is not going to issue him a new W2 - that will create trouble with the IRS for the company.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Really?

Are muslim people stupid because they believe they shouldn't eat pork or the fact they believe their head should covered? Or jewish people who believe you should buried so many hours after dying? He has a religous belief, as long as it doesn't interfere or intrude on others personal space I see no problem with it. He is not stupid, maybe a little paranoid.

Yes. I say that as someone who beliefs all religion and religious activities fall into the "stupid" category.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007

Personally, I wouldn't call him "stupid", since being the father of a child I can't tell him not to use that word if I do so myself. If he wants to quit his job because of his interpretation of his religion, that's fine, however, I would say that his stance that he needs a new W-2 and can't file his taxes until he gets one is unreasonable.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
I always thought that if I invented some awesomely useful, must have gadget, I would name my company "Demon [appropriate name depending on product]" and make the introductory product Mod. # 666, just for laughs.

Obviously not the best profit model, but I am old enough now to care too much. Being rich doesn't have the same appeal as it did 40 years ago. And if it caused even a small percentage of people to rethink stupid beliefs, it would be worth it. And I would have a lifetime supply of laughs reading what some people think about it.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Really?

Yes to all.

Believing in fantasy in indeed stupid.. especially if you aren't a child.

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
Yeah, pretty much. Calling him stupid may be pushing it a bit maybe, but if you reach an adult age and still insist on believing in ghosts and goblins, well...

When it comes down to it, there's no reason to humor, or "respect" peoples' irrational and illogical superstitions just because they call said superstitions a religion.

Like sikh males needing to wear a bigass beard and a turban, and said beard and turban getting in the way of dress or safety codes. Should we let people with bigass beards work around heavy machinery where their facial hair might get caught in moving parts just because their ancient religion (which pre-dates modern industry!) dictates they can't shave their faces? Or should cops and soldiers get to wear turbans for the same reason?

No. We should not. People need to wake the F up and stop living in a fairytale world. There aren't any gods, or devils for that matter. We made all that shit up ourselves.

Are muslim people stupid because they believe they shouldn't eat pork
Sure. There's nothing wrong with pork, properly butchered and cooked. The entire continent of europe made it through not just the stone age but also all the way up and through the dark age eating pork (even though the bible actually forbids it, just like the koran...but of course people back then didn't know how to read latin, or even read period, so there we are, lol.) It's just irrational superstition, nothing more.

He has a religous belief, as long as it doesn't interfere or intrude on others personal space I see no problem with it.
Problem is, so many religious people want to shove their religion on everyone else, or thump people in the head with it. I'm sure you have heard and seen plenty examples of that yourself.

Getting all uptight over a number, which occurs ALL the time around us in our daily lives, is just crazy. It's also numerology, which is incompatible with christian dogma as it happens.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I might agree with you if he were required to ware a uniform with 666 emblazoned on it, but this was a one-time deal.

If he thinks the Devil is bad, wait until he tries explaining to the IRS why he didn't file a tax return.

In any case, HE is the one issued the 666, not the company who issued that one and many others. Presumably he knows he's not the anti-Christ . . .

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Slonopas, who calls the situation "unbelievable," is seeking a new W-2 with a different number on it. He says that he can't file his taxes without one.

LOL. Hope he has a large refund waiting and doesn't get it because of this. I believe in religious freedom but this goes into the realm of stupid.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Meh, it's sort of like hotels with no 13th floor. Although, it does make you wonder what comes after 665?