Titan X reference cards and manufacturers

naxeem

Feb 8, 2008
I'm curious - if all TitanXes are made identical and just sticker applied, why do Asus or EVGA sell their stock (basic) TitanX for as much as 15% more than Palit, for example.

Those are all hardware identical quality PCB and components, right?

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
You're paying for other things too, like whatever EVGA or Asus want to throw in the box, step up programs and all warranties are not the same.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
You're paying for other things too, like whatever EVGA or Asus want to throw in the box, step up programs and all warranties are not the same.

Is the step up program included in the basic price? I thought you payed extra for that.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
Is the step up program included in the basic price? I thought you payed extra for that.

Nah, all you have to do is register the card within 14 days of purchase and you're eligible.

Although, I'm not sure where one would "step-up" from a Titan X, I don't see a more expensive card coming out in the foreseeable future...

But the difference in price is probably just due to warranty and customer service.

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
I purchased my EVGA Titan X's at MSRP of $999. What is Palit selling there's for? And as others pointed out, even if EVGA did charge over MSRP (which they don't), I'd pay for it considering their customer service is far ahead of other manufacturers. Then there's also the bonus of Step-Up but that doesn't apply to Titan's afaik.

naxeem

Feb 8, 2008
Well, here in UK, Amazon gives everyone 1y of support and warranty, no matter the brand. Asus sells for 930 GBP, Palit for 850 GBP, EVGA for 890GBP... so difference is like 80GBP and that is 120 USD difference... Quite enough to buy Accellero IV for it two times and get some more juice.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
But how is Palit customer service after that first year? If it's as good as evga then get it.

How about Asus'? They seem to suck at CS and surely don't offer trade up program, etc...

I think there is also the brand name factor raising prices. If, for example, Palit was the same price as the more dominant brands, who would consider it? I think they have to be cheaper to compete.

naxeem

Feb 8, 2008
I don't see what would I trade a Titan X for? 980Ti won't eat up into it and frankly, until next chip I don't see anything Nvidia could throw up. Can't trade it for 390X sure that. :p

Still. Maybe I could trade in normal for water-cooled Kingpin that is coming. :p

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
How about Asus'? They seem to suck at CS and surely don't offer trade up program, etc...

I think there is also the brand name factor raising prices. If, for example, Palit was the same price as the more dominant brands, who would consider it? I think they have to be cheaper to compete.

Yeah Palit is a lesser known brand than the others. ASUS is pure marketing, that's how they dominate and that is why it probably costs more. Their CS is pretty bad based on what I've read. However, ASUS custom designed video cards are usually very well built so that adds to their high end rep.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
Palit's card will be identical. Personally, I get rid of my cards so fast that I've never once had to deal with any brand's customer service. I don't even bother registering my cards. Never had a card arrive DOA, never had one die on me, and I always over clock. I'm of the opinion that if you're just buying the stock model you just go for best price.

naxeem

Feb 8, 2008
Palit's card will be identical. Personally, I get rid of my cards so fast that I've never once had to deal with any brand's customer service. I don't even bother registering my cards. Never had a card arrive DOA, never had one die on me, and I always over clock. I'm of the opinion that if you're just buying the stock model you just go for best price.

Even more - I'll strip those of their stock coolers and put either Accelero Extreme IV or water block... Just wasn't sure if those actually have diff. power components, etc.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Even more - I'll strip those of their stock coolers and put either Accelero Extreme IV or water block... Just wasn't sure if those actually have diff. power components, etc.

Yeah I'm still waiting for a CLC I can install on the Titan X. I tried installing the Accelero IV yesterday, then noticed I couldn't fit it on my mobo because the backplate blocks the RAM and CPU cooler. And I have a Z87 mobo that runs 8x on 2nd the PCI-E slot, so I have no choice but run the top slot for 16x.

:(

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
Yeah I'm still waiting for a CLC I can install on the Titan X. I tried installing the Accelero IV yesterday, then noticed I couldn't fit it on my mobo because the backplate blocks the RAM and CPU cooler. And I have a Z87 mobo that runs 8x on 2nd the PCI-E slot, so I have no choice but run the top slot for 16x.

:(

I believe I read on OCN that this works:

1. http://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/138-kraken-g10-gpu-bracket.html
2. http://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/145-kraken-x41-liquid-cooler.html

Also make a post on the EVGA forums because Jacob from EVGA said if enough people ask, they'll modify the GTX 980 AIO cooler for the Titan X. You can also e-mail Inno3D and see if they'll sell their AIO cooler.

Last edited:

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
I e-mailed Inno3D and got an answer:

Dear 5150 Joker,

Firstly, thank you for kind support of our product.

We are still having an internal discussion to see whether we should sell the water cooling system separately.

If there is any update, we will post it on our facebook. So you may know it instantly.

Best Regards,
Ken Wong
Technical Support

naxeem

Feb 8, 2008
I believe I read on OCN that this works:

1. http://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/138-kraken-g10-gpu-bracket.html
2. http://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/145-kraken-x41-liquid-cooler.html

Also make a post on the EVGA forums because Jacob from EVGA said if enough people ask, they'll modify the GTX 980 AIO cooler for the Titan X. You can also e-mail Inno3D and see if they'll sell their AIO cooler.

So that Kraken is a good alternative? Great! Because, TitanX has a lot of untamed power.
Does it cover VRAM and VRM good?

naxeem

Feb 8, 2008
X61 looks even better for Titan and then we could apply EVGA Kingpin BIOS on it...

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
Got everything I need in my cart at newegg.... what is the best TIM for GPU's these days ???

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
It's been a while since I read about TIM differences but at that time noctua NH-1 was pretty good so I bought a few tubes and that's what I have used in both cpus and gpus. I've seen huge gains but that is likely primarily due to sloppy stock TIM application.

I guess I like Noctua coolers and love their fans so considering that their TIM was amongst the better ones I bought it.

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
So that Kraken is a good alternative? Great! Because, TitanX has a lot of untamed power.
Does it cover VRAM and VRM good?

Seems to be a good alternative but I doubt it covers the VRAM or VRM very well. You'd probably need to toss some small low profile sinks on those w/sticky thermal pads.