Titan X Launch

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
That's a good move on Nvidia's part in my opinion. Open it up, let the board partners push this thing and build them with a proper cooler. :thumbsup:

absolutely - CLC should help unleash the beast. probably need a skynet bios to see what its real limits are though. Sick of the [reduced] power target and voltage

Profanity isn't allowed in the technical forums.
-- stahlhart

Last edited by a moderator:

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
Lol, and I misspoke in the other thread about the lack of backplates -- kinda weird seeing that it turned out that way. Ugh.

Well, I suppose aftermarket cards will be coming in at more than $1k. Seems kind of crazy, but a hefty overclock puts this thing into 980 SLI territory and makes it somewhat worth it, hahah.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
However, for gamers I feel the Titan X hasn't been able to capture the original Titan magic.

What magic? All the titans were very expensive, with steep gaming premiums.

If NV priced this card at $700, I bet a lot of gamers wouldn't even bother waiting for 980Ti/1080GTX or a 390X.

Probably, and may effect GTX 980 sales, too. Priced high to not cannibalize --- Think nVidia enjoys the 550 MSRP of the GTX 980.

It's what I feared with AMD and nVidia raising the prices of smaller dies -- HD 7970 and GTX 680. I mean, really, how many gamers are really going to fork over a 1,000 dollars and their steep premiums? I see no magic, but a lack of competition and a company maximizing revenue. Welcome to Titan, a new brand for luxury sku's.

Never thought I see this price-point -- gamers offering their pro's and cons -- ultimately, the market will decide to accept the higher prices.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
@RussianSensation
There's no need to criticize price or perf/$. That does not apply to NV. People either choose to pay extra for NV or they don't. It's clear in AT's article, NV is pushing their top tier GPUs as premium luxury items. As such, mundane metrics like value or perf/$ don't apply.

I mean, do you go around criticizing why a Patek Phillip watch is $20K or more? Or $30K hand-bags? Nope, luxury items are excluded from rational & logical decision making. ;)

Luxury? Because of a name? It certainly isn't special in any other regard. Just the new generation enthusiast gpu labeled and priced in the stratosphere.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
That's why you drop the price to $450 or even $479 and then it starts to make sense.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
Luxury? Because of a name? It certainly isn't special in any other regard. Just the new generation enthusiast gpu labeled and priced in the stratosphere.

This only works when one executes and has competitive and engineering advantages. nVidia has engineered their way to maximize even more and created a Titan luxury brand.

I don't like the prices, but interested to see how favorably or unfavorably the market reacts to it.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
This only works when one executes and has competitive and engineering advantages. nVidia has engineered their way to maximize even more and created a Titan luxury brand.

I don't like the prices, but interested to see how favorably or unfavorably the market reacts to it.
They're a business and they're here to make money, I wouldn't blame them for trying. What I am noticing is that by almost any metric this card isn't "luxury," so if that's their aim then they failed. The performance is great, definitely, but with AMD's 300 series coming soon, it may be a shadow in mere months. Otherwise, the combination of power draw/heat/noise and laughable to be considered a "luxury" part. They couldn't even muster a CLLC system like AMD did over a year ago for the 295X2?

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
What I am saying is, you are perpetuating FEAR, UNCERTAINTY and DOUBT.
Before anything ever happens. Might as well tell everyone you shouldn't fly in an airplane. It might crash. Just stop man.

If the plane has a component that operates at higher than engineering specs then yes it will may trigger a catastrophe event and make the plane go down.
Same with the Memory Module temperature we see in the pics of the Titan-X, if those modules operate with temperatures above the original manufacturers specs, then they will eventually give up.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
They're a business and they're here to make money, I wouldn't blame them for trying. What I am noticing is that by almost any metric this card isn't "luxury," so if that's their aim then they failed. The performance is great, definitely, but with AMD's 300 series coming soon, it may be a shadow in mere months. Otherwise, the combination of power draw/heat/noise and laughable to be considered a "luxury" part. They couldn't even muster a CLLC system like AMD did over a year ago for the 295X2?

That's not for you to determine, it's the market place. Curious to see how favorably or unfavorably, the market reacts to this price-point and the Titan brand. A lot of if''s, speculation and conjecture when it comes to AMD -- the TitanX is out and actually reviewed.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Originally Posted by Silverforce11
I was actually seriously considering folking major $ for a Titan X, mainly due to future GameWorks title I want to play. This was the last straw.

In your silly analogy, if said plane was running too many active hours between safe maintenance spec, or if its engine overheat above safe recommended spec... yes, I would certainly not fly on it.

Most of the planes up there, are probably doing just that.

You are joking right ??? operating an engine above its recommended specs will result in a catastrophic event of some part/parts resulting in an engine failure.
Do you actually run your car engine above the recommended temperature (red line) every day ??? Dont think so.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
That's not for you to determine, it's the market place. Curious to see how favorably or unfavorably, the market reacts to this price-point and the Titan brand. A lot of if''s, speculation and conjecture when it comes to AMD -- the TitanX is out and actually reviewed.
Actually it is. I am the market just like you or anyone else interested in video cards. Don't be dismissive just because someone's opinion upsets you.
Bro says my Titan is waiting at home for meeeeeeeee
I would be interested in hearing first hand experience. :thumbsup:

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
Actually it is. I am the market just like you or anyone else interested in video cards. Don't be dismissive just because someone's opinion upsets you.

I would be interested in hearing first hand experience. :thumbsup:

I would be interested in walking out of work, going home and playing with my new toy. But sadly that would mean no more future toys so alas I wait.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
K8mmiUR

NEj7bER

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005

How is the power draw laughable? Its 30~60% faster (depending on game) than the R290X/780Ti given similar power consumption.. on the SAME node! Id think that's pretty impressive.

Heat/Noise is directly linked to the cooler so maybe here they could have done a better job.

Eymar

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2001
You had someone else open the package? That's one of the best parts of buying a new videocard. :)

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
Okay sweet card but priced well beyond what most enthusiasts are able/willing to pay. I was thinking $799, damn. AMD help this situation out please..

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
Okay sweet card but priced well beyond what most enthusiasts are able/willing to pay. I was thinking $799, damn. AMD help this situation out please..

Yeah its abit too much. Given how underclocked maxwell parts are including the Titan X..

I think we will see geforce variants with 6GB (or 5+1GB? ;)), 3rd party cooling and higher clocks (10~20% headroom) once R300 series hits the scene.