Tiny House Ordered! Land Ready to Lease

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
You've got a TridenT in your attic! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

J9cUHJs.jpg

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I'm very surprised you were able to land that house in a residential area without having sewer or utility's.

Jun 18, 2000
Surprise twist: OP is actually the homeowner, and the house is just a workshop or something. The whole tiny house, talking to Jesus, severe mental disorder is an elaborate ruse/troll post for Coolcoin nominations.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
Any updates? I just read through the entire thread and, like Greenman, can't believe this is to code.

It looks more like someone said "Sure, I have some room. I'll rent you the side yard. You want to put a tiny house there, fine. Live in a tent, your car, an old appliance box, I don't much care. Cash only, due on the first of the month." Neighbors are like "What in the hell is going on next door?"

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
That's pretty cool. And if that's to code, then awesome. Nice to know some places are more lenient and not so draconian about bylaws and crap.

I kinda want to buy land in a rural lake front area some day and do something like this, though I'd build it myself. I'd use it as a place to camp and as a hobby land and then eventually retire there once I don't have to work anymore and it's all ready and setup for year round use.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Seems totally legit (not being facetious). He bought a piece of land where other people have done the same exact thing he's doing now; it's like a trailer park but for tiny/manufactured homes. OP is just being all funny with his replies to see us squirm.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Seems totally legit (not being facetious). He bought a piece of land where other people have done the same exact thing he's doing now; it's like a trailer park but for tiny/manufactured homes. OP is just being all funny with his replies to see us squirm.
He didn't buy the land, he's renting it. The homes around him are traditional structures with foundations, running water, and sewers. His tiny house doesn't have those things. He'll have two buckets instead, one filled with clean water, another filled with shit. Hopefully the second bucket has a tight fitting lid.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
I'd much rather pay a couple hundred bucks a month to share a place with 9 other people, and at least have a place to poop and wash my hands afterward.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Don't these not have a bathroom and running water? You'd have to dig a well and a septic but I don't really see the huge deal at least not on the technical side, who knows about political/logistical side. If this is indeed a residential area I would probably use a blue boy instead of septic personally just so it does not have a chance of smelling. Idealy you want a septic and well to be far apart too so if there's no room to do that then you skip the septic. You would need a truck to empty out the blue boy once in a while though, and know of a place to actually bring it. In winter you'd probably want it to sit in an insulated heated box so it does not freeze.

A proper basement with city sewer/water does make a lot of things easier but it's something that can be worth sacrificing if it means less utility bills.

Ohhh and if it's going to be sitting on cinder blocks make sure you fill them with cement. Otherwise they'll just sink in the ground over time. Idealy you should look at using sonotubes filled with concrete, get an auger to go about 10 feet deep.

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
I've seen prefab buildings delivered early, then jacked up a little while some type of foundation is built under it. So the pictures are still plausible.

Still, I haven't decided if op is naive, legit crazy, trolling, or is somehow going to actually make this work.

I'm rooting for both crazy and making it work at the same time. It's the best story.

Reactions: PottedMeat
Feb 4, 2009
I've seen prefab buildings delivered early, then jacked up a little while some type of foundation is built under it. So the pictures are still plausible.

Still, I haven't decided if op is naive, legit crazy, trolling, or is somehow going to actually make this work.

I'm rooting for both crazy and making it work at the same time. It's the best story.

Agreed, I’m wondering if there is some kind of composting crapper in there

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Has the Devil stolen OP's computer? We need updates!

I assume there is a composting crapper.

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
The guy bought a house without a toilet or running water, he probably doesn't have cable.

He could atleast stop by the library instead of leaving us hanging in our comfortable houses with all the amenities.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
He could atleast stop by the library instead of leaving us hanging in our comfortable houses with all the amenities.
Have you read his posts? The OP doesn't perceive reality the way you and I do. He's living in a shed, no heat, no sanitation, probably no electrical service. I wouldn't expect anything normal from him.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I think The demons are stopping in from posting. That, or Jesus doesn't want him to be on the internet.

Both, I guess

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I think the idea is neat, but I'd want a toilet and shower and some form of running water, even if it's a tank I have to fill manually, at least something! Of course all this only makes sense if it ends up being super cheap. Basically a frugal way of living while still having a house and place to call home without shared walls.