Timing belt ... is it ok to go a few thousand miles over the recommended replacement?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I pushed my camry over the limit about 12,000 miles.
Not far from home, I heard a clunk and then things got REAL quiet:p
I got it off the road, but could not get the dampener bolt out with the tools I had.
We towed it home, and I fixed it that weekend for $40, no damage done on that engine.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: blackangst1
Here's the thing about timing belts. It could go another 30k or another 3. You dont know. But this you can count on: If it fails....new motor. IMHO it's not something to slack on.

heh, busted 2 timing chains. no damage.

Better said is 'if it fails you have a very good chance of needing a new top end".

i got lucky.

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Wow...that price seems awfully high. I guess they're charging you full retail for the parts. Checking with zygmunt, (one of the places I get my BMW parts from) I find this:

Part # Description Mfgr Availability? Retail Your price
A5006-160543 Timing Belt Kit Gates IN STOCK $478.90 $184.65
Try checking with some of the quality local shops in your area, before paying the Stealer/Dealer's price. MANY shops will let you even provide your own parts, (but don't guarantee them) and some will price match against quality sources like Zygmunt and others.

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. I asked the Dodge dealership if I could bring my own parts and have them install it. They said yes, but it won't be warrantied. It got me scared of unscrupulous shops that will purposefully mess up the labor in order to get me to come back.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: chuckywang
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Wow...that price seems awfully high. I guess they're charging you full retail for the parts. Checking with zygmunt, (one of the places I get my BMW parts from) I find this:

Part # Description Mfgr Availability? Retail Your price
A5006-160543 Timing Belt Kit Gates IN STOCK $478.90 $184.65
Try checking with some of the quality local shops in your area, before paying the Stealer/Dealer's price. MANY shops will let you even provide your own parts, (but don't guarantee them) and some will price match against quality sources like Zygmunt and others.

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. I asked the Dodge dealership if I could bring my own parts and have them install it. They said yes, but it won't be warrantied. It got me scared of unscrupulous shops that will purposefully mess up the labor in order to get me to come back.

Find a good independent shop to do the work. Obvviously, they can't guarantee parts they don't sell...I understand that. My BMW shop will USUALLY match (or get VERY close to) the prices I find on-line, just to get the job, and they make good money on the labor for most jobs...Their parts guy says he'd rather make $5 on the parts, than to not make any sale...