Time To Show Some Good Will for the Holidays and the New Year.

AnandTech Moderator

Staff member
Oct 12, 1999
A number of members who consider themselves knowledgeable and experienced on our Hot Deals forums need a refresher course in manners and civility. The problem is, when a newbie makes a simple mistake they think it is a sign of their greatness to bump the thread with flames and sarcasm. Here is a clue:

1. Bumping bad threads just recirculates them and clogs the first page of the forum.

2. Gratuitous rudeness is NOT welcome on our forums. Don't know what gratuitous means? Look it up.

3. Effective immediately, such rude behavior will be reason to consider you a candidate for some vacation time courtesy of Air Mod. Extreme cases will be reason to make you an experienced EX-member of AnandTech Forums. If you are a subscriber, and you are banned, you are out of luck. NO REFUNDS.

We want keep AnandTech a friendly forum. Please take some of your holiday cheer, and share it with your forum friends and neighbors. Then, carry that spirit through in the New Year. :)

AnandTech Moderator

P.S. I am the Nice Mod. You don't want to read the version of this post the Mean Mod wrote. :Q

gittyup

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2000
Unfortunately, this needs to be drilled a little harder into the heads of the members that get off on flaming for innocent mistakes. I don't think it's too much to be civil to each other.

Sanjoelo

Apr 4, 2001
Cool. Glad to see this is bothering someone other than me. There's enough ill-mannered crap in day-to-day life without using anonymity as an excuse to make it the status quo.

-JB

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
This is probably the best post ever. I've wanted to tell people that for awhile now. Great job. On another note...perhaps the rules should be posted a bit more clearly to avoid accidental mess ups. Just a thought. :) Thanks to everyone.

Agaricus

Aug 22, 2001
Hmmmm. Addressed speciically to this forum, it would appear to be ON topic. The question might arise as to whether the senior citizen comment fell within the
subset of users to whom it was directed? What happened to happy holidays?

ScrapSilicon

Lifer
Apr 14, 2001

<< This is an off-topic post. This belongs in Forum Issues.

Please change title to "Mod: Please Lock or Move, OT Post"

:p
>>

uhm....

<< vacation time courtesy of Air Mod >>

Are there any frequent flier bonus points like double the number ...free hotel room...continental breakfasts....things like that on the flight/trip ?? p.s. is one of the destinations the GreatSmokey Mntns? AmexBlue PMing allowed? ;)

kyutip

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2000
Yay, no more rude people.
I've notice a lot more sarcastic posts than before.
If you ever post something that has been posted before (even though it deviate a little) be prepared for some rude awakening.
Lately it has become a forum that when you make any mistake (post code, repost, odds & ends deal, etc), be prepared to be roast.
I'm pretty sure if mods make a notice or stats, the offender is mostly repeat offender.
Kinda like they have nothing to do but post rude remark.
Let's hope that day is over.

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Amen

I really would like to read the version the MEAN MOD wrote, I always need some new MOD quote material.

Danzilla

Platinum Member
Dec 30, 2000
No one seems to have mentioned the rudest of all people here. The people who post and repost completely useless garbage because they don't care about wasting everyone else's time fall squarely in that category. While it's important to make new posters feel welcome, they shouldn't be rewarded for not caring to learn a little about the forum before posting. Now personally, I don't see anything wrong with some nice juicy sarcasm or well-worded rudeness when making a point. Where to draw the line is more of how I see the problem. If a person can't carry on a conversation without losing their temper and swearing/insulting others, then I don't think we need to hear from them.

$.02,
D.

PS. Happy Holidays!

kjacobs

Feb 10, 2001
Thank you sir...

I was just reading an innocent inquiry this morning and it was spoiled by some bozo commenting on somebody's English!

We ALL have to start somewhere, whether it is language, or building a PC.

*I* have received much valuable help on this forum and will try to help others when *I* can.

Merry Christmas to all!

Ken

Colie

Nov 19, 2001
I agree completely. May want to get rid of the post numbers where a person posting a hot deal gets credit for one post same as a person posting a bump or one liner. Some seem to be enamored by the fact that they have many posts by their name and consider themselves superior to newbies like me who have just recently discovered this great forum. It is still the best forum on the internet.

GasPath

Jan 10, 2001
I wish to ring in my support for this initiative. Some of the threads have become battlegrounds and combative, instead of informative and tolerant.

Paul

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
As everyone gets caught up in the season, remember the true reason for Christmas.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!