davidthemaster3

Mar 11, 2011
Looking to upgrade my current 2012 PC hardware. My OC on the computer burnt out pins on the CPU (still works though!), but I cannot OC anymore. Basically, my 3570K is a 3570; multiplier tops out to 38 in BIOS, but never goes above 3.6 GHz anyways.

Looking for general recommendations for the build if it can save some money or has a better bang for buck for the same price. Really want an NVMe SSD and I'm pretty sure I could bump it to 1TB. RAM is in the QVL list. Looking into AIO coolers, because the NH-D14 is HEAVY.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
Gaming, streaming, multitasking (videos+gaming)

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
2000$, my PCPartPicker is configured with taxes

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
Canada and USA. I'm visiting friends in Maryland the weekend of July 2nd and they live next to the BELTWAY/ROCKVILLE Microcenter. Will most likely buy the CPU/Mobo there.

4. IF you're buying parts OUTSIDE the US, please post a link to the vendor you'll be buying from.
We can't be expected to scour the internet on your behalf, chasing down deals in your specific country... Again, help us, help YOU.
http://www.memoryexpress.com/ (preferred for their uber price match with a 10% difference)
https://www.newegg.ca/
http://www.ncix.com/
https://www.amazon.ca/
http://www.canadacomputers.com/

http://www.microcenter.com (see #3)

5. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.
AMD for GPU, because of the Freesync Monitor
I avoid Seagate HDDs like a plague.

6. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler (Might or might not reuse)
Thermal Compound: Noctua - NT-H1 3.5g Thermal Paste
Storage: Mushkin - Reactor 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: PowerColor - Radeon R9 390 8GB PCS+ Video Card (Until Vega)
Monitor: Asus - VW246H 24.0" 1920x1080 Monitor
Monitor: Asus - MG279Q 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Corsair - K70 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Kingston - HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset (Purchased For $99.00)
UPS: APC - BR1500G UPS

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
Light to Medium overclocking

8. What resolution, not monitor size, will you be using?
1440p 144hz, although the MG279Q's freesync range is 35-90. Overclocking the freesync range works, but does not look good. It looks like shimmering/ghosting/overdrive or something and I don't like it, so stock freesync range.

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Note that it is usually not cost or time effective to choose your build more than a month before you actually plan to be using it.
early July

10. Do you need to purchase any software to go with the system, such as Windows or Blu Ray playback software?
Will reuse existing licences when possible and buy new licences when required.

Eyeing these parts for now. 1700x instead of 1700, because with the Microcenter motherboard rebate, they are priced indentically. Might consider peripheral upgrades if they are worth it:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor ($482.98 @ Memory Express)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - MasterLiquid Pro 280 64.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($136.48 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AX370-Gaming K7 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($293.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($220.48 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($342.28 @ Newegg Canada Marketplace)
Video Card: PowerColor - Radeon R9 390 8GB PCS+ Video Card (Purchased For $260.00)
Case: Fractal Design - Define C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.57 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($146.98 @ Memory Express)
Total: $1982.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-16 14:19 EDT-0400

Existing parts:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $239.00)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $50.00)
Thermal Compound: Noctua - NT-H1 3.5g Thermal Paste (Purchased For $9.00)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (Purchased For $180.00)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (Purchased For $78.00)
Storage: Mushkin - Reactor 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $250.00)
Video Card: PowerColor - Radeon R9 390 8GB PCS+ Video Card (Purchased For $260.00)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R3 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $115.00)
Power Supply: XFX - 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $68.00)
Optical Drive: Asus - BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For $55.00)
Total: $1304.00 (Paid at the time)
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-12 14:57 EDT-0400
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Well, since Microcenter has great bundle deals, half your work is already done.
You could go with a 1700 instead of a 1700X, and use that heatsink/fan that comes with it and save some $$$.

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
Well, since Microcenter has great bundle deals, half your work is already done.
You could go with a 1700 instead of a 1700X, and use that heatsink/fan that comes with it and save some $$$.
If he's willing to spend $2k on an upgrade, including liquid cooling, I don't think it's necessary to downgrade to 1700+wraith spire.

I think it's an excellent build, and for your desired purposes it will serve you extremely well.

davidthemaster3

Mar 11, 2011
The 1700 has a 50$ rebate with the motherboard, while the 1700x has a 100$ rebate with the motherboard, effectively making them the same price.
I wanted the liquid cooler to have a good cooler and not have a kilogram of heatsink hanging off of the motherboard.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Is that PSU really the best deal/option at $150? Not a bad PSU for $90...but it is Canada.

My one suggestion would be to get a good 240mm rad (w/ 120mm fans) instead of a 280mm. Good 140mm rad fans are few and far between, and most of these AIO pumps can't handle the resistance of the larger rad, and the reduced flow rate gives you worse temps. The 240mm rads are also compatible with far more cases. I think you could even use a 240mm AIO in your R3 and not have to buy another case.

A good 240mm AIO can handle an OC Ryzen 8 core no problem.

I know the Fractal Design Celcius series was just released and should include the AM4 mounting bracket.

They went for lowest noise with a trade off of slightly lower performance. Their 240mm option is good up to a 200w load before other (louder) AIOs start pulling away. There's an integrated fan hub on their rads that ties the pump and fans all together, but I'd suggest running the fans separate from the pump. Less stress on a single MOBO header, and I think you can get better performance/noise ratio running the pump at full with the fans under 100%. These Fractal AIOs also have a detachable rad (with standard G 1/4 fittings), so you can daisy chain them or replace the pump or whatever.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

davidthemaster3

Mar 11, 2011
Is that PSU really the best deal/option at $150? Not a bad PSU for $90...but it is Canada.

My one suggestion would be to get a good 240mm rad (w/ 120mm fans) instead of a 280mm. Good 140mm rad fans are few and far between, and most of these AIO pumps can't handle the resistance of the larger rad, and the reduced flow rate gives you worse temps. The 240mm rads are also compatible with far more cases. I think you could even use a 240mm AIO in your R3 and not have to buy another case.

A good 240mm AIO can handle an OC Ryzen 8 core no problem.

I know the Fractal Design Celcius series was just released and should include the AM4 mounting bracket.

They went for lowest noise with a trade off of slightly lower performance. Their 240mm option is good up to a 200w load before other (louder) AIOs start pulling away. There's an integrated fan hub on their rads that ties the pump and fans all together, but I'd suggest running the fans separate from the pump. Less stress on a single MOBO header, and I think you can get better performance/noise ratio running the pump at full with the fans under 100%. These Fractal AIOs also have a detachable rad (with standard G 1/4 fittings), so you can daisy chain them or replace the pump or whatever.

The PSU is 140$ w/o taxes so it comes around to 105$ USD. I know it's a bit expensive, but I suck at choosing power supplies, so I put this one in in case no one offered an alternative. I'm open to suggestions.

I was thinking of changing the RAD to the Corsair H110i. The MasterLiquid 280 has a 2 year warranty, while the H110i has a 5 year warranty ... and it's cheaper. But the Celsius s24 sounds cool for the detachable rad, it'd make getting another Celsius + a g12 for the GPU easy if I want to do that later...

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
The PSU is 140$ w/o taxes so it comes around to 105$ USD. I know it's a bit expensive, but I suck at choosing power supplies, so I put this one in in case no one offered an alternative. I'm open to suggestions.
Never skimp on power supplies. The price is fine for what it is.

davidthemaster3

Mar 11, 2011
Didn't want to skimp on it, hence the power supply choice. There's a Seasonic G650W that's 15$ CAD cheaper, but has half the warranty (5 years vs 10 years) so I thought the G3 was worth it.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006

I was thinking of changing the RAD to the Corsair H110i. The MasterLiquid 280 has a 2 year warranty, while the H110i has a 5 year warranty ... and it's cheaper. But the Celsius s24 sounds cool for the detachable rad, it'd make getting another Celsius + a g12 for the GPU easy if I want to do that later...

I took a quick peek on partpicker, I see a gold Seasonic 650w for $90 after rebate which is more than enough power. There's also the 750w version for $125 if you really want overkill.
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/R7V48d/seasonic-power-supply-ssr650rm
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/VwR48d/seasonic-power-supply-ssr750rm

I'd take the Corsair over the CoolerMaster if it were between those two. CM tries for best performance but fans are usually very loud, Corsair usually has a good range, while the Fractal AIO has the quietest fans I've seen in reviews so far.

Yeah the detachable RAD is kinda neat, but not as practical as a true custom loop. The AIO pump is to weak to push multiple rads or anything extra by itself, so you'd need to add a pump or simply daisy chain them so there's a pump for each rad. I think it would be pretty sweet to daisy chain another 240mm and add the GPU in like you mentioned. Maybe add a small reservoir/fill port (in the highest point you can), to make it easier to remove air and maintain fluids/anti-microbial. CPU/pump - rad - GPU/pump - rad - res - CPU/pump could be easily done for under $250 total.

davidthemaster3

Mar 11, 2011
I've never been successfull with a MIR so I never factor them in. Hopefully another deal will popup between now and when I buy (around the 1st week of July).

As for the AIO, if I do expand it, it would be with 2 Celsius units, so two pumps (redundancy!) and dual rads, no worries about mixed metals and stuff. Adding a fill port would make it as practical as a custom loop. Don't really care about looks, seeing as I'm getting a non-windowed case. I checked the prices and the S36 is 13$ CAD more after taxes. The Define C does support a single 360mm Rad, which would be great if I add a GPU and way overkill for just the CPU ...
S24 (140$) + S36 (153$) + G12 (40$) = 333$ CAD or 250$ USD

I won't reuse the R3, cause I'm planning to resell my current system to recoup some of the costs.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
I've never been successfull with a MIR so I never factor them in. Hopefully another deal will popup between now and when I buy (around the 1st week of July).

As for the AIO, if I do expand it, it would be with 2 Celsius units, so two pumps (redundancy!) and dual rads, no worries about mixed metals and stuff. Adding a fill port would make it as practical as a custom loop. Don't really care about looks, seeing as I'm getting a non-windowed case. I checked the prices and the S36 is 13$ CAD more after taxes. The Define C does support a single 360mm Rad, which would be great if I add a GPU and way overkill for just the CPU ...
S24 (140$) + S36 (153$) + G12 (40$) = 333$ CAD or 250$ USD

I won't reuse the R3, cause I'm planning to resell my current system to recoup some of the costs.

Yeah, I just know here in the US it's possible to get a top of the line Seasonic PRIME 750w for $125 (even was a deal for an 850w for $90)..so while your PSU choice wasn't bad it just seemed overpriced. That's why I mentioned it...but didn't really feel like taking the time to see if that was a good deal in Canada or not.

As odd as it may seem, these larger (3+ fan) AIOs are actually worse than the smaller (2 fan) ones. Again it's not the rad surface that limits you (with an AIO), but the water flow rate. Most of these AIOs have a weak pump that can struggle with a larger rad. The water is what moves the heat away from the CPU, so if the flow is poor the CPU will be hot, no matter how many fans you have on the loop elsewhere. I still think the 240mm AIOs are the best balance at this time. Though with the detachable rad on these Fractal units, you could technically add a pump. Or perhaps daisy chained the second pump will offer enough extra oomph...but it's not something I've ever seen tested.

davidthemaster3

Mar 11, 2011
I read the Anandtech and OC3D reviews for the S24 & S36 (both sites had both AIO). The S36 only gets about a single degree better than the S24, so I would agree the pump is lacking. Might not go with expanding the AIOs road afterall, cause of the added cost with an extra pump, not to mention it's easier to just add the G12 later if I keep the loops seperate. So I guess a S24 for now.

While checking if I could get other parts at Microcenter, I found the SSD is cheaper there so might as well grab it too. I rechecked the bundle rebates and now the rebate is only 50$ on the 1700x (but it did drop 20$ on the base price). So it's 30$ more expensive than the 1700.

davidthemaster3

Mar 11, 2011
After searching around a bit, I found Silicon Lottery's statistics with the testing they have done with the 1700, the 1700x and the 1800X, showing the binning.