Time for a new mattress

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
We have had memory foam but it’s beginning to wear out & I am getting back & hip pain, plus it gets too warm at times. Should I go back to a tradional box spring and mattress or try another memory foam? One plus to memory foam is no worries about bed bugs when it is delivered. We did the bedbug thing..shuddering here & don’t want a repeat. A lot of companies deliver new beds & take away old ones in the same truck so I worry

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
We bought a Cal-King Beautyrest Silver firm mattress set a bit over 2 years ago. Best mattress we've ever had. IIRC, it was about $1250 delivered and the old one hauled away.

If you're Costco members, keep an eye out. They have VERY GOOD mattresses in-store once or twice a year...significantly cheaper than any of the mattress/furniture stores.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
We have had memory foam but it’s beginning to wear out & I am getting back & hip pain, plus it gets too warm at times. Should I go back to a tradional box spring and mattress or try another memory foam? One plus to memory foam is no worries about bed bugs when it is delivered. We did the bedbug thing..shuddering here & don’t want a repeat. A lot of companies deliver new beds & take away old ones in the same truck so I worry

New mattresses are sealed in a plastic bag. The couple of times I had one delivered the guys brought it to the bedroom then unwrapped it. Though, unwrapping on the porch or garage might be better as the plastic can pick up a lot of dirt from the truck.

As BoomerD mentioned, Costco is a good source also, but getting rid of the old mattress can be troublesome.

Speaking of myself, I got the firmest mattress then got a memory foam topper. Haven't had any issues. Contour pillow for sidesleeping prevents neck stiffness/pain I used to get.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
If you have memory foam now and get hot, I would suggest against another straight memory foam. You can get a gel top memory foam, which certainly helps. A cheap memory foam mattress will not last though, no matter how you play it.

I'd look at a traditional or a latex (or a hybrid latex on coil). You could of course also opt for a cheaper traditional and then get a high quality mattress cover but that's not always the best option (just allows you to swap out the foam when it wears out).

Reactions: Captante

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Have a mattress from bed in a box, something relatively inexpensive I bought some 15 years ago, and it's wonderful. Everything else hurts my back.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
We've a hybrid -- several inches of memory foam with a traditional, woven base.

Like sleeping on a damn cloud. Just firm enough -- not too soft.

Reactions: Captante

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
i think @Kaido (kitchen overlord) bought something recently and he no longer has back pain. said it was well worth the cost.

but dont remember if it was a new expensive office chair or mattress.
msg him?

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
i think @Kaido (kitchen overlord) bought something recently and he no longer has back pain. said it was well worth the cost.

but dont remember if it was a new expensive office chair or mattress.
msg him?

As I've gotten older & creakier, I've started to invest in ergonomics more. It started out with the Microsoft 4000 keyboard (specifically that keyboard) for my wrists (carpal), then New Balance shoes with custom inserts for my feet (no more foot pain, yippie!), then a memory foam bed with a Medcline pillow, and then with COVID & doing more WFH stuff, an ALL33 Backstrong chair:

It takes a few days to get used to, and like someone else who has it here mentioned, you'll need a sitting cushion eventually as the pads are fairly thin & wear down quick, but once my body got used to sitting up properly after a few days, it completely zeroed out my back aches from sitting in front of the computer all the time. I kind of hate spending money on stuff that isn't directly awesome, like a super-cool kitchen gadget or a game console or whatever, but I would 100% invest in all of the stuff above again because my feet are pain-free, I sleep really well on my memory foam mattress (currently using a Zinus model from Amazon that was like 1/10th the cost of a Temperpedic), and my back pain went away with the fancy chair (way better than the Aeron imo!).

Reactions: Geekbabe

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Right now I have an Ikea composite made of a wool/cotton wrapped in memory foam. It's actually super comfortable because the non-foam core doesn't compress at all making for a solid supportive base. It does however suffer from the heat retention issue.

The most comfortable mattress I've ever slept on was a composite Simmons that had a very firm spring core and quilted cooling-foam outer softer but still supportive layers. Can be quite pricey if not on sale plus requires a box-spring.

Second place goes to the Latex foam Restonic that my ex-wife still uses now. It was every bit as comfortable as the Sealy but also got a bit warm.

Last edited:

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Ditch memory foam unless you weigh 120lbs or less.

My favorite mattress in the house is an extra firm Simmons Beautyrest Platinum Recharge we got 5 years ago. I bought a Simmons Silver Medium for $400 last Summer and it's OK....but it's only 12" thick and is a little too bouncy....definitely happy with it for the price, but it will be replaced before too long with another Platinum. They go on sale a few times a year at US Mattress for $850-900....you just have to watch. Unfortunately, with the housing market on fire, I'm sure the mattress market is too...so sales may be hard to come by.

Reactions: bigi and KMFJD

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
bumping this because i'm a real adult now (maybe) and really want to replace my craigslist bed that i bought because i needed something to sleep on.

seems like there are a good number of black friday deals but a) i know mattresses get marked up like crazy b) black friday has devolved to running semi-sales on last year's shit :p

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Ditch memory foam unless you weigh 120lbs or less.

My favorite mattress in the house is an extra firm Simmons Beautyrest Platinum Recharge we got 5 years ago. I bought a Simmons Silver Medium for $400 last Summer and it's OK....but it's only 12" thick and is a little too bouncy....definitely happy with it for the price, but it will be replaced before too long with another Platinum. They go on sale a few times a year at US Mattress for $850-900....you just have to watch. Unfortunately, with the housing market on fire, I'm sure the mattress market is too...so sales may be hard to come by.
good lord i wish i knew that before i ended up buying a couple of different types, have had nothing but back and shoulder pain because of them

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
good lord i wish i knew that before i ended up buying a couple of different types, have had nothing but back and shoulder pain because of them

From my experience memory foam is great for a cheap guest bed, but not something I want to be sleeping on every day.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
lol I still need a new bed

I'm basically stuck using other peoples crappy beds for the time being. My wife and I have been using furnished finder/airbnb over the last few months and will continue doing so through the beginning of next year till we get our living situation figured out more long term. Despite the 3500 to 4000 /month rent we are paying none of them have decent beds that we've stayed at.

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
I have the cheapest memory foam 12" I think from Az few years ago with no issue, under $200USD at the time. But I am the kind of person that can sleep anywhere.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
From my experience memory foam is great for a cheap guest bed, but not something I want to be sleeping on every day.
It got so bad i was barely to take off my shirt or lift my arms above my head due to should cuff issues, been sleeping on a rather firm normal mattress for past week and pain is almost gone. I'll be purchasing a new one when i get home

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
It got so bad i was barely to take off my shirt or lift my arms above my head due to should cuff issues, been sleeping on a rather firm normal mattress for past week and pain is almost gone. I'll be purchasing a new one when i get home

I want a new bed that allows you to adjust the head & feet position, I am thinking ahead to the time when I will need it medically. unfortunately those are expensive so it will have to wait. I don’t want a hospital bed that’s been in a ton of other homes, they aren’t comfortable & I fear bed bugs.

My daughter works for a mattress company and I could probably ask her to help me get a discount but I think I would still be looking at a bill of a couple grand for the adjustable platform and a good mattress, along with waterproof mattress cover etc.

Last edited:

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I want a new bed that allows you to adjust the head & feet position, I am thinking ahead to the time when I will need it medically. unfortunately those are expensive so it will have to wait. I don’t want a hospital bed that’s been in a ton of other homes, they aren’t comfortable & I fear bed bugs.

My daughter works for a mattress company and I could probably ask her to help me get a discount but I think I would still be looking at a bill of a couple grand for the adjustable platform and a good mattress, along with waterproof mattress cover etc.
Something along the lines of these?

1637356811195.png

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I got an Avocado Green mattress a year or two ago. I added the mattress topper to the basic mattress.

Consumer reports ranked it either number one or near the top of their reviews. They really didn't like the topper though. Shrug. Not sure why.

The mattress is a beast though weighing in at around 130lbs.

If you're used to memory foam, you might not like it since you don't really sink into it like with foam. I think it's perfect though.

There's also another type of foam that's just called Purple. Instead of a solid slab of memory foam, it's made up of a matrix of hollow foam squares. You probably have to see it to really get an idea of how it works.

edit: I'm going to leave this up for general reference but since all of the mattress components are either all natural and/or organic, it's way more expensive than a standard mattess.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
bumping this because i'm a real adult now (maybe) and really want to replace my craigslist bed that i bought because i needed something to sleep on.

seems like there are a good number of black friday deals but a) i know mattresses get marked up like crazy b) black friday has devolved to running semi-sales on last year's shit :p
buy from costco?
u know the most it'll be marked up is 14%

Dec 10, 2005

Not sure how you feel about buying without trying. I've had the original Casper since fall 2018 with their foundation, and it's been pretty good. Bonus is that it wasn't super expensive either - kind of middle of the road.