• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Time for a new mattress

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
We have had memory foam but it’s beginning to wear out & I am getting back & hip pain, plus it gets too warm at times. Should I go back to a tradional box spring and mattress or try another memory foam? One plus to memory foam is no worries about bed bugs when it is delivered. We did the bedbug thing..shuddering here & don’t want a repeat. A lot of companies deliver new beds & take away old ones in the same truck so I worry

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
We bought a Cal-King Beautyrest Silver firm mattress set a bit over 2 years ago. Best mattress we've ever had. IIRC, it was about $1250 delivered and the old one hauled away.

If you're Costco members, keep an eye out. They have VERY GOOD mattresses in-store once or twice a year...significantly cheaper than any of the mattress/furniture stores.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
We have had memory foam but it’s beginning to wear out & I am getting back & hip pain, plus it gets too warm at times. Should I go back to a tradional box spring and mattress or try another memory foam? One plus to memory foam is no worries about bed bugs when it is delivered. We did the bedbug thing..shuddering here & don’t want a repeat. A lot of companies deliver new beds & take away old ones in the same truck so I worry
New mattresses are sealed in a plastic bag. The couple of times I had one delivered the guys brought it to the bedroom then unwrapped it. Though, unwrapping on the porch or garage might be better as the plastic can pick up a lot of dirt from the truck.

As BoomerD mentioned, Costco is a good source also, but getting rid of the old mattress can be troublesome.

Speaking of myself, I got the firmest mattress then got a memory foam topper. Haven't had any issues. Contour pillow for sidesleeping prevents neck stiffness/pain I used to get.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
If you have memory foam now and get hot, I would suggest against another straight memory foam. You can get a gel top memory foam, which certainly helps. A cheap memory foam mattress will not last though, no matter how you play it.

I'd look at a traditional or a latex (or a hybrid latex on coil). You could of course also opt for a cheaper traditional and then get a high quality mattress cover but that's not always the best option (just allows you to swap out the foam when it wears out).

Reactions: Captante

[DHT]Osiris

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2015
Have a mattress from bed in a box, something relatively inexpensive I bought some 15 years ago, and it's wonderful. Everything else hurts my back.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
We've a hybrid -- several inches of memory foam with a traditional, woven base.

Like sleeping on a damn cloud. Just firm enough -- not too soft.

Reactions: Captante

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
i think @Kaido (kitchen overlord) bought something recently and he no longer has back pain. said it was well worth the cost.

but dont remember if it was a new expensive office chair or mattress.
msg him?

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
i think @Kaido (kitchen overlord) bought something recently and he no longer has back pain. said it was well worth the cost.

but dont remember if it was a new expensive office chair or mattress.
msg him?
As I've gotten older & creakier, I've started to invest in ergonomics more. It started out with the Microsoft 4000 keyboard (specifically that keyboard) for my wrists (carpal), then New Balance shoes with custom inserts for my feet (no more foot pain, yippie!), then a memory foam bed with a Medcline pillow, and then with COVID & doing more WFH stuff, an ALL33 Backstrong chair:

It takes a few days to get used to, and like someone else who has it here mentioned, you'll need a sitting cushion eventually as the pads are fairly thin & wear down quick, but once my body got used to sitting up properly after a few days, it completely zeroed out my back aches from sitting in front of the computer all the time. I kind of hate spending money on stuff that isn't directly awesome, like a super-cool kitchen gadget or a game console or whatever, but I would 100% invest in all of the stuff above again because my feet are pain-free, I sleep really well on my memory foam mattress (currently using a Zinus model from Amazon that was like 1/10th the cost of a Temperpedic), and my back pain went away with the fancy chair (way better than the Aeron imo!).

Reactions: Geekbabe

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Right now I have an Ikea composite made of a wool/cotton wrapped in memory foam. It's actually super comfortable because the non-foam core doesn't compress at all making for a solid supportive base. It does however suffer from the heat retention issue.

The most comfortable mattress I've ever slept on was a composite Simmons that had a very firm spring core and quilted cooling-foam outer softer but still supportive layers. Can be quite pricey if not on sale plus requires a box-spring.

Second place goes to the Latex foam Restonic that my ex-wife still uses now. It was every bit as comfortable as the Sealy but also got a bit warm.

Last edited:

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Ditch memory foam unless you weigh 120lbs or less.

My favorite mattress in the house is an extra firm Simmons Beautyrest Platinum Recharge we got 5 years ago. I bought a Simmons Silver Medium for $400 last Summer and it's OK....but it's only 12" thick and is a little too bouncy....definitely happy with it for the price, but it will be replaced before too long with another Platinum. They go on sale a few times a year at US Mattress for $850-900....you just have to watch. Unfortunately, with the housing market on fire, I'm sure the mattress market is too...so sales may be hard to come by.

ASK THE COMMUNITY