[THW] Review Samples vs Retail R9290x boards(large differences)

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
A few weeks...or would you advise people to buy something
else rather than waiting a few times ?

A few more weeks and it's Q1.
Then few weeks more and press will likely be receiving their first Maxwell samples

:eek:

amenx wisely edited his inappropriate post so please don't quote it
- Elfear

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Great but the claim still stand , AIB radeons
will be hardly if not at all matched by the 780ti.

Is that with or without Mantle in BF4 for example....JK

The NVidia loyalist will always buy what NVidia offers.

The AMD loyalist will always buy what AMD offers.

The bang for buck crowd has a open mind and shops price vs performance.

The educated buyer currently is in a holding pattern as there is currently too much dust in the air to get a clear picture.

If I was in the market currently I'd have to wait for the dust to settle.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011

The educated buyer currently is in a holding pattern as there is currently too much dust in the air to get a clear picture.

Hardware.fr posted the numbers , 3 resolutions 15 games,
the results back my sayings and for thoses who think that
it s a biaised review keep on mind that the reviewer is known
to have a preference for Nvidia but when doing reviews he s
quite professional and neutral.

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/912-22/recapitulatif-performances.html

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010

Awwww why the edit? Dude that was hilarious, and spot on :thumbsup:

A few more weeks and it's Q1.
Then few weeks more and press will likely be receiving their first Maxwell samples

More so:
Just wait a week or two...
Then Well if you wait another week or two you might score a nice Holiday Bundle or sale.
And right before you click "Buy it Now" on your favorite etailer:

"GM104 tapers out, expected in 6-8 weeks!"

So now it's:
Wait, might be better or reduce cost of the current card you're looking at...

Just wait. :confused:

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Hardware.fr posted the numbers , 3 resolutions 15 games,
the results back my sayings and for thoses who think that
it s a biaised review keep on mind that the reviewer is known
to have a preference for Nvidia but when doing reviews he s
quite professional and neutral.

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/912-22/recapitulatif-performances.html

What's your point? I only was stating that there are more than one type of buyers in the GPU market is all.

Good things come to those who wait....So they say.

I'm all about bang for buck at time of need.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
What's your point? I only was stating that there are more than one type of buyers in the GPU market is all.

AMD's slogan should be "Just wait for us..."

It would cover their position against Intel AND Nvidia. Think of the marketing money they'd save. They can put their whole catalog under one banner and slogan. Haha.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011

AMD's slogan should be "Just wait for us..."

It would cover their position against Intel AND Nvidia. Think of the marketing money they'd save. They can put their whole catalog under one banner and slogan. Haha.

Currently for thoses who cant wait the reference 290
is the better offering whatever the drama about its
cooler , price perf/ratio is the stronghold of this card,
even lower performing parts have trouble reaching
the same numbers in this matter.

Will you both say otherwise without stretching reality.?.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010

I only speak for myself and no one else.

Saw the acoustics across various sites, owned a Ref HD 7970 that operated at lower temps (thus lower fan speed) and absolutely hated it.

Pass on Ref R9 290, and if you need to know, I'm Pro AMD. I sold my CFX 7970's and was ready to buy until I saw the results. I choked on my coffee and then said "nope, I'm not going to be your fool again." I'll wait.

While I'm waiting, I might just pick up a second 660 Ti and go SLI until 14nm, I mean, $150 (or less, haggle powers GO!) for a used 660 Ti versus $400+ for a R9 290 for about the same performance, less noise, less heat, less power consumption, and it's just a band aid since this is the end of the 20nm generation...why not.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

If your stating that the r290 even in it's current configuration is the best bang for the buck currently I'd agree....Not sure why you took my statement as anti-r290.

Waiting it out also give the future r290 buyer a chance to get a peak at how Mantle will effect BF4's performance. If it's a pretty sizeable gain then it's going to be icing on the cake.

If your a NVidia fan then maybe it's best to hope Mantle lives up to the hype. I'd think if the r290's ridicule even the GTX 780Ti a price adjustment will follow.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
After my experiences with a GTX 470 I would never buy a reference card, by either Nvidia or AMD. Even if ref coolers kept the cards cool, custom coolers of course would improve on that. This is important imo, aside from noise, that it would keep boost based cards performing at their best. It would lessen power draw slightly (in some cases) and of course temps which would then allow for higher boost and reduce or eliminate throttling. Some AIB custom cards may have bios's with higher power targets as well.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
If your stating that the r290 even in it's current configuration is the best bang for the buck currently I'd agree....Not sure why you took my statement as anti-r290.

Waiting it out also give the future r290 buyer a chance to get a peak at how Mantle will effect BF4's performance. If it's a pretty sizeable gain then it's going to be icing on the cake.

If your a NVidia fan then maybe it's best to hope Mantle lives up to the hype. I'd think if the r290's ridicule even the GTX 780Ti a price adjustment will follow.

Sorry if i misworded my sayings about your stance.

I was talking of the current state of perfs without implying
Mantel since we have no hard numbers but true that it might
render the "budget" 290 quite more appaling if ever it wasnt
enough for the undecided buyer , we ll know in a few days ,
i guess that it s not that long to wait for whom is hard pressed
to pick something.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011

Saw the acoustics across various sites, owned a Ref HD 7970 that operated at lower temps (thus lower fan speed) and absolutely hated it.

Pass on Ref R9 290, and if you need to know, I'm Pro AMD. I sold my CFX 7970's and was ready to buy until I saw the results. I choked on my coffee and then said "nope, I'm not going to be your fool again." I'll wait.

While I'm waiting, I might just pick up a second 660 Ti and go SLI until 14nm, I mean, $150 (or less, haggle powers GO!) for a used 660 Ti versus $400+ for a R9 290 for about the same performance, less noise, less heat, less power consumption, and it's just a band aid since this is the end of the 20nm generation...why not.

Well i guess that we ll soon see what the current gen
is capable of although we can be sure that there s still
be some nay sayings here and there , not talking of you
of course , for the time AMD first concern seemed to bring
to the market perfs from the top of the barrel at crushed prices
and in this respect they succeded as aknowledged by the brutal
price positionning of their colmpetitor , who s going to complain
about this strategy set aside Nvidia.?..

Owls

Feb 22, 2006

This. After the Ti review I'm going to wait and see what the AIBs come up with for the 290. If the situation doesn't improve I will have to break down and purchase 2x Tis

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
This. After the Ti review I'm going to wait and see what the AIBs come up with for the 290. If the situation doesn't improve I will have to break down and purchase 2x Tis

If you're buying two cards why on earth would you get Ti's? r9 290 crossfire is faster, and is only $100 more than ONE 780Ti.

Slomo4shO

Nov 17, 2008
Here you go

Galaxy HOF @1300+ MHz @stock cooling

IMG_0325_zpse283b28d.png

And the release date is when? The 780 Ti Classy is due to release on Dec 8 whereas the ACX cooler models will release on Nov 29... Nothing is available for sale on the market with non-reference coolers.

Take a pick:

Inno3D iChill GeForce GTX 780 Ti HerculeZ X3 Ultra
Inno3D GeForce GTX 780 Ti HerculeZ 2000
EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked ACX
You really should use google translate. Those cards are only available for preorder...

Last edited:

ICDP

Nov 15, 2012

Exactly my reasons for staying away from R9 290/X. Before anyone gets all upset I am only referring to the reference fan, not the actual GPU which is clearly excellent.

I bought a HD 7970 reference card on release day and regretted it. With some small voltage tweaks it would overclock to 1180+ core but the fans were so loud it was unusable for me. In the end I bought a GTX680 reference which according to reviews had much better sound levels. Boy was I a fool again, it was only marghinally quieter than the 7970. It was a great clocking card that it would hit 1310 core, the problem was in doing so it was reaching an unbearably loud 70% fan. Which again meant I had to run at a mild overclock to keep sound in check.

In both cases I was unable to run my card at full performance because the reference coolers were just not up to the job. I vowed to never purchase another reference design again from either Nvidia or AMD. Of course this is all subjective and some people have no problems, each to their own.

Last edited:

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Exactly my reasons for staying away from R9 290/X. Before anyone gets all upset I am only referring to the reference fan, not the actual GPU which is clearly excellent.

I suspect after examination that the cooler is not the real
culprit of the retail cards unability to run within specs with
reduced speeds in respect of the ref cards..

A hint :

img.x

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Odd. I have a retail XFX branded 290X and it has no problem hitting the advertised 1Ghz clock speeds and holding it.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
I suspect after examination that the cooler is not the real
culprit of the retail cards unability to run within specs with
reduced speeds in respect of the ref cards..

A hint :
/snip

Most of us aren't willing to cut a gaping hole in order to aid venting...