Three women who vanished a decade ago are found

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mvbighead

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2009
I have to say, I have a problem with articles like this:
http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...y_charles_ramsey_is_americas_latest_hero.html

Because of comments like this:
While eating McDonald’s in Cleveland on Monday night, this ordinary citizen did what police failed to do for 10 years.

I realize the police didn't get the job done, but to throw this out there like that is a bit ridiculous. The man stumbled upon a person trying to escape. He didn't draw conclusions and break a case, he stumbled upon someone trying to escape. Most people would do exactly what he did in that situation, cops especially. Don't point this out as police failure. It's simply right place, right time for the guy. It was extremely fortunate that it occurred the way it did, but don't make this out to be him doing something the police couldn't do.

I dunno, I realize many cops are not the best. But the second sentence of this article seems to suggest the police screwed up. Unless they have the authority to break down the door of every house, on every street, this could've gone on a lot longer. Those girls are fortunate that that girl made the attempt she did when this man walked by. Nothing more, nothing less.

MaxPayne63

Dec 19, 2011
Most people would do exactly what he did in that situation

The vast majority of people would choose not to get involved, and tell themselves something like 'well, it's probably just a joke' or 'I'm sure someone else called the cops.'

49 years later the only real difference is that we're able to watch the murder of kitty genovese from multiple angles on youtube.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Homeowner charged; his brothers are not

•4 counts of rape, 3 counts of kidnapping against Ariel Castro.
•No facts show 2 brothers involved, police say.

WTFBBQ? no charges for the brothers? even if the brothers didnt touch the girls, there have to be some charges that can be filed?

(they lived in the same house, right???)

edit:
Brothers lived in separate houses :blush:

Last edited:

dartworth

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001

WTFBBQ? no charges for the brothers? even if the brothers didnt touch the girls, there have to be some charges that can be filed?

Yeah, that is really sad and disturbing.

mvbighead

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2009
The vast majority of people would choose not to get involved, and tell themselves something like 'well, it's probably just a joke' or 'I'm sure someone else called the cops.'

49 years later the only real difference is that we're able to watch the murder of kitty genovese from multiple angles on youtube.

I disagree that the vast majority wouldn't get involved. Some may not, but most would at least call the cops and report something suspicious.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

Almost every article I've seen stated they lived in separate houses.

TheFamilyMan

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2003
Almost every article I've seen stated they lived in separate houses.

Yeah, but it is still very hard to fathom that they knew *NOTHING* of what was going on in the house for 10 years. From what I've read, the two brothers had way more interaction with him than any other family members or neighbors. Something doesn't fit right and I think the cops know it.

Maybe Ariel Castro is taking the full dive for all of them.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
Yeah, but it is still very hard to fathom that they knew *NOTHING* of what was going on in the house for 10 years. From what I've read, the two brothers had way more interaction with him than any other family members or neighbors. Something doesn't fit right and I think the cops know it.

maybe investigators talked to the girls and found out only one man was involved.

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
maybe investigators talked to the girls and found out only one man was involved.

Yeah, it should be pretty open and shut on that front.

There's no chance the one guy tries to take all the heat and the police just go with it, failing to consult with the actual victims.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
How do rape charges work exactly? Why 4 counts?

3 girls and one of their children. im guessing.

and i think its lot less paperwork then trying to guess how many times he raped them. i wouldnt worry about it too much, this guy is going to rot in jail then burn in hell either way.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

You are probably right, however this same guy had the father of one of those girls (the DeJesus girl, I believe) over after he had kidnapped her. he remainded friends with the guy. This guy obviously has a great poker face.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
3 girls and one of their children. im guessing.

and i think its lot less paperwork then trying to guess how many times he raped them. i wouldnt worry about it too much, this guy is going to rot in jail then burn in hell either way.

That's what I'm trying to figure out. Is the 4th for the kid? I mean, not to downplay the other 3 here, but damn I hope not..

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
That's what I'm trying to figure out. Is the 4th for the kid? I mean, not to downplay the other 3 here, but damn I hope not..

it wouldnt surprise me a bit. this story isnt that unique if you look at the other kidnapping stories. that girl who was held for 18 years in austria was bred just so her captor can keep a lasting supply of fesh meat around... same with that other girl that was taken at age 12 and pregnant not even a year later- she ended up birthing like 4 children.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
His brothers are not innocent. There's no fucking way they don't know about their bro is keeping 3 girls locked and chained in the house. It's more fucked up if the girls don't wanna talk about it with the DA. Real sad.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004

It could be the ones they can prove. Dunno how it works exactly, but they may need firm instances for a successful prosecution. A general "multiple times" might add complexity to the prosecution, without sufficient benefit.

MontyAC

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2004

It's 4 counts of kidnapping and 3 counts of rape. He was charged with raping the 3 kidnapped victims.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
It's 4 counts of kidnapping and 3 counts of rape. He was charged with raping the 3 kidnapped victims.

OK that sounds... better? Nothing really sounds good here I guess other than them being out. I pulled the 4 counts of rape from an earlier post and didn't fact check of course.