Threadripper BUILDERS thread

Page 50 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jmmec

Jan 23, 2016
I picked up a TR from NewEgg and also ordered the Asrock Taichi, though am still waiting on other components to arrive.

Quick question:

I came across the following picture that shows a grey colored cover the protects the LGA:

https://eteknix-eteknixltd.netdna-s...X399-Threadripper-AMD-CPU-800x447-800x447.jpg

The Taichi board that I received from NewEgg is using a Foxconn connector and it does not have this cover: it only has the clear outer cover that is to be removed. I thought all TR4 sockets came with a protective cover? The board otherwise seems to be new, but something seems fishy....

Thanks

ddogg

Golden Member
May 4, 2005
I picked up a TR from NewEgg and also ordered the Asrock Taichi, though am still waiting on other components to arrive.

Quick question:

I came across the following picture that shows a grey colored cover the protects the LGA:

https://eteknix-eteknixltd.netdna-s...X399-Threadripper-AMD-CPU-800x447-800x447.jpg

The Taichi board that I received from NewEgg is using a Foxconn connector and it does not have this cover: it only has the clear outer cover that is to be removed. I thought all TR4 sockets came with a protective cover? The board otherwise seems to be new, but something seems fishy....

Thanks
My taichi also just has the clear plastic cover so it's normal I believe.

jmmec

Jan 23, 2016
Thanks!

Apparently Asrock is using Foxconn or Lotes for the socket hardware, and only Lotes comes with the internal grey protective cover.

I read somewhere (overclock.net) where a guy had the protective cover on his motherboard, but he removed it earlier than he should have, after which he slid the TR CPU down the metal bracket. The CPU didn't quite seat properly and fell onto the exposed pins and bent a large number of them. He then spent the next many hours carefully straightening the hard to see pins, trying not to break them. This wouldn't have happened if he would have kept the protective cover in place until after the CPU was properly seated in the bracket; but at least he has a protective cover. I'll need to be super duper careful since I don't have the cover on my motherboard.

Reactions: prtskg

ddogg

Golden Member
May 4, 2005
I read that overclock.net as well haha. I used one hand as a protective shield over the socket while inserting the CPU into the lid. Just take your time and you should be fine :)
Just remember to tighten all the screws just a little until they catch, before torquing them down to spec. If you tighten the first one all the way, it will be near impossible to get the other two to catch the threads.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
To even get the first one to catch, I had to press very hard, but as soon as it does catch (half turn) then get the others started as ddogg said. Then touque in order as labeled.

Reactions: Drazick

jmmec

Jan 23, 2016
FWIW, Asrock released version 2.0 of their bios today for their TR boards.

I'm still waiting for other components to arrive before putting my system together.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Well, I don;t know where you heard that. Intel an AMD can both run with as little as one stick of ram.
It makes sense that any CPU since the invention of dual channel memory would work with at least one stick. I did/do wonder how well it would work on TR considering the separate memory connection between the dies. Obviously the IF link to the other die would handle the traffic. But if running one channel on one die was bad enough, I couldn't imagine how terrible it would be doing single channel bandwidth across the MCM.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
If your wanting to build a custom loop for your Threadripper EK has a discount on their full coverage blocks on the website:

EK-Supremacy EVO Threadripper Edition
I'm looking at a custom loop - have everything but the waterblocks (CPU and GPU). That's a good price, but I've been reading lots of complaints, not too keen on the looks either. Looking at the XSPC Raystorm Neo right now and waiting to see the new Heatkiller block.

Howdy

Nov 12, 2017
I did not realize that it was a poor performer...........unfortunately I have one coming. Looks like I might have to do my own modding or have a big paper weight! I'm still in the "acquiring of parts" mode, not like I haven't bought anything else that's been a bust.......:eek:

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I did not realize that it was a poor performer...........unfortunately I have one coming. Looks like I might have to do my own modding or have a big paper weight! I'm still in the "acquiring of parts" mode, not like I haven't bought anything else that's been a bust.......:eek:
It can't be too bad... My regular Arctic cooling 360 does afair job, and it doesn't even cover the entire IHS ! I am sure there are better, but for $50 ?

Reactions: Drazick

Howdy

Nov 12, 2017
[H] review did not give it very good ratings. Then my friend Google kind of backed up their findings. I'm sure I can figure out something though, I have time. I'm waiting to get closer to Christmas and see if the TR goes on sale lower than what it is now.

ddogg

Golden Member
May 4, 2005
I'm looking at a custom loop - have everything but the waterblocks (CPU and GPU). That's a good price, but I've been reading lots of complaints, not too keen on the looks either. Looking at the XSPC Raystorm Neo right now and waiting to see the new Heatkiller block.
I have the EK block and it's garbage. It's the worst performing waterblock for TR. I just got it because there was nothing else out there when I got TR. They basically just slapped their regular CPU block on a bigger cold plate. My heatkiller copper block is arriving on Monday and that thing is an absolute monster. If you go with their nickel options expect some delays as they are still working out some issues with shipping and manufacturing, but it will be worth the wait.

Kelwayne

Nov 23, 2017
My heatkiller copper block is arriving on Monday and that thing is an absolute monster. If you go with their nickel options expect some delays as they are still working out some issues with shipping and manufacturing, but it will be worth the wait.
I'm looking at using Enermax 360 when I build initially but was eyeballing the nickel coated heatkiller fairly hard. Any suggestions on the rest of the watercooling for the TR? Graphics cards will most likely be Radeon Pro Duos for Blender and don't think wc will be necessary.

ddogg

Golden Member
May 4, 2005
I'm looking at using Enermax 360 when I build initially but was eyeballing the nickel coated heatkiller fairly hard. Any suggestions on the rest of the watercooling for the TR? Graphics cards will most likely be Radeon Pro Duos for Blender and don't think wc will be necessary.
Are you asking for recommendations on the other components for a custom loop? Ek is fine for everything else. It's more of an aethestic decision when choosing other components. Stick to Ek, hardware labs or Alphacool radiators. Heatkiller does make some awesome GPU blocks as well if you ever consider going down that path.

Kelwayne

Nov 23, 2017
Yeah that's what I mean in addition to the heatkiller for the cpu only. Performance over looks in my book for the most part. I'll check out Ek and keep heatkiller in mind for the GPUs as well, thanks!

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
I have the EK block and it's garbage. It's the worst performing waterblock for TR. I just got it because there was nothing else out there when I got TR. They basically just slapped their regular CPU block on a bigger cold plate. My heatkiller copper block is arriving on Monday and that thing is an absolute monster. If you go with their nickel options expect some delays as they are still working out some issues with shipping and manufacturing, but it will be worth the wait.
That's what most of the complaints were - slapping an older block on a bigger coldplate. Be interested in how that Heatkiller performs.

urvile

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2017
Thanks!

Apparently Asrock is using Foxconn or Lotes for the socket hardware, and only Lotes comes with the internal grey protective cover.

I read somewhere (overclock.net) where a guy had the protective cover on his motherboard, but he removed it earlier than he should have, after which he slid the TR CPU down the metal bracket. The CPU didn't quite seat properly and fell onto the exposed pins and bent a large number of them. He then spent the next many hours carefully straightening the hard to see pins, trying not to break them. This wouldn't have happened if he would have kept the protective cover in place until after the CPU was properly seated in the bracket; but at least he has a protective cover. I'll need to be super duper careful since I don't have the cover on my motherboard.

I did that exact same thing. The CPU slipped out of the bracket and the corner smacked into some of the pins. Which only bent very slightly.....

ddogg

Golden Member
May 4, 2005
My heatkiller TR copper block came in today and this block is the heaviest block I have ever got. 2.2lbs to be exact according to the heatkiller rep. It's just ridiculous!! Some pics and a pic next to my mouse just to put things into context.
f1d7871578dcc5181f6790ac39a221fc.jpg
5780c230aacf5e201fe35ab7cda6e4d4.jpg
912f125f2abf4e59490dd596c690cc97.jpg

Last edited:

ddogg

Golden Member
May 4, 2005
Yeah, I was a little surprised at the orientation as well. They are still waiting to get a photographer to update their website. Really curious to see what kind of temp drops I see with this.