Threadripper BUILDERS thread

Page 48 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Yes it has
1508857319-capture.jpg

For the SSD, my system is all SSD (Plextor M5P, Sandisk, Mushkins) and it's pretty damn quick in Windows (startup, launching). Will it really make a difference in M.2 ? Anyway I can install it at any time.
No, there are 4+4 CPU connectors, and 8 pin CPU connectors. You need one of the 4's and the other 8 to power the motherboard. The 24 (20+4) is ALSO required.

As for memory, quad channel is what the CPU is, without all 4 channels, you may see a big performance hit.

Edit: Dang, everybody else beat me to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drazick

kensiko30

Feb 27, 2011
No, there are 4+4 CPU connectors, and 8 pin CPU connectors. You need one of the 4's and the other 8 to power the motherboard. The 24 (20+4) is ALSO required.

As for memory, quad channel is what the CPU is, without all 4 channels, you may see a big performance hit.
Ok I'm currently in discussion with someone to test the impact of quad vs dual.

For the connector in the ASRock manual it's suggesting that we can only connect 20 pins if we want

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Dang Amazon. So I chose the free shipping at newegg, 4-7 days, but it will be here Thursday. I chose the free shipping at Amazon (no prime) and it will be 8 days !! 6 business days vs 3 for newegg. (next Tuesday) Amazon sucks. I need my case to start my build.

Reactions: Drazick

kensiko30

Feb 27, 2011

You are right, the results of the person I was in contact with are without a doubt, dual channel VS quad channel has a huge impact on encoding performance !

Then quad it will be. I'll stay with 16 Gb however. Too bad the CAS latency are higher on the 4GB sticks

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
As I remember it. Read through this entire thread, and you might find that reference, or the Ryzen thread. I remember that though
I remember something along those lines. Having said that, I'm running 2x16GB DDR4-2400 FlareX at 15-15-15-36 2T - motherboard (Crosshair 6) recognized right away.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
I've poked around a bit more in an attempt to get the chip to 4.2 GHz. However, my biggest issue is that I refuse to attempt more than 1.425V, and I definitely refuse to run 1.4V+ for long periods of time under Prime95. Has anyone else managed 4.2 or 4.3? Just curious. I'm happy with the performance of my chip. Most of the time I sit at 3.7 GHz because I can throttle the fans down to 25% and still get work done.

Does anyone know of GOOD fan control software? MSI Command Center is the worst, the BIOS is buggy, and Speedfan doesn't see any fans. Ideally I'd like to tie 2-3 of the System fans to the CPU temperature reading and scale the fans up as the chip gets warmer.

Finally, a bit of a rant: Ryzen Master would be SOOO much better if they allowed you to do p-state overclocking and voltage management. I'd love for my chip to idle in a low powerstate and scale up under load...if I could control the fans at the same time that would be amazing.

kensiko30

Feb 27, 2011
I've poked around a bit more in an attempt to get the chip to 4.2 GHz. However, my biggest issue is that I refuse to attempt more than 1.425V, and I definitely refuse to run 1.4V+ for long periods of time under Prime95. Has anyone else managed 4.2 or 4.3? Just curious. I'm happy with the performance of my chip. Most of the time I sit at 3.7 GHz because I can throttle the fans down to 25% and still get work done.

Does anyone know of GOOD fan control software? MSI Command Center is the worst, the BIOS is buggy, and Speedfan doesn't see any fans. Ideally I'd like to tie 2-3 of the System fans to the CPU temperature reading and scale the fans up as the chip gets warmer.

Finally, a bit of a rant: Ryzen Master would be SOOO much better if they allowed you to do p-state overclocking and voltage management. I'd love for my chip to idle in a low powerstate and scale up under load...if I could control the fans at the same time that would be amazing.
Speedfan is the best I know. What's your motherboard? I plan to use speedfan

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
Did you start the program in Admin mode ?

Yes. MSI command center can manipulate them. HWInfo can see/read them, but HWInfo Pro has the 'control' option grayed out. It's probably something to do with MSI motherboards.

kensiko30

Feb 27, 2011
K then it's up to speedfan programmer to add support for this motherboard. I would still like to know if speedfan works with the ASRock taichi, anybody?

Hey do you know guys if you can install ESXI on a threadripper ?

Edit: Ok found an answer here. It will not work with an Asrock Taichi but it will with the Asus Prime X399. However this motherboards does not seem to be appreciated that much.

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/570854

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I got my second threadripper today. First, here is a picture of a socket 1151 chip, next the the 1950X threadripper:
tHwZPpE.jpg

Next, My case isn't here yet, so threadripper on a box:
fnOKJyE.jpg

Getting windows installed now.

OK, you can't see it, but the PSU is a AX1200i and the video cards are EVGA GTX1080TI FTW3 cards, and a Samsung 960 EVO M.2 nvme and 4 x 8 gig 3200 CL14 samsung b-die Gskill tridentX.

The water cooler is my old Arctic cooling 360 AIO that did pretty good on the original Threadripper box.

Now I have twins !!!!

Last edited:

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Very Jealous, Wish I had your kind of money.. I bet those systems are awesome at video encoding!! took everything I had now and all the cash I could scrounged up from selling my other parts from my previous build just to build what I have in my Sig at this moment in time..
Boy even the threadripper motherboards look awesome but cost so much money.I guess you need deep pockets to get that kind of performance. what the heck do you do with all those cores anyways? Folding for Seti or Protein folding for a cure for cancer ?

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Very Jealous, Wish I had your kind of money.. I bet those systems are awesome at video encoding!! took everything I had now and all the cash I could scrounged up from selling my other parts from my previous build just to build what I have in my Sig at this moment in time..
Boy even the threadripper motherboards look awesome but cost so much money.I guess you need deep pockets to get that kind of performance. what the heck do you do with all those cores anyways? Folding for Seti or Protein folding for a cure for cancer ?
Yes, I am number 34 in the world for F@H to cure cancer, which I have right now. Going in for chemo next Tuesday.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Sorry to hear that, I hope all goes well for you Tuesday!! That is very heart breaking news, I lost 2 family members recently to Cancer. :(