Thread to list Democratic states disenfranchising white voters

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I paid to ride the bus, and part of my payment goes to pay the fuel the bus uses which has federal taxes on it for the win.

My cell phone bill has federal taxes in it. Yay I get to vote!!!

Everyone who buys anything from China will pay a tariff. I guess they get to vote too.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
They passed a law months before an election stating voters could only use ID that had a residential street address on it knowing the native population didn’t use residential street addresses.

Who the hell doesn't have an address to give? If a person lives at a reservation, then put the address of that place down. Just like any multi residential location.

Jan 25, 2011
Who the hell doesn't have an address to give? If a person lives at a reservation, then put the address of that place down. Just like any multi residential location.
THEY DON'T HAVE ONE.

How is that so hard to understand? They never needed one. EVER.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

Do homeless people relinquish the right to vote?

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

You're really not grasping this "they have no street address" thing, are you?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Sure that's why North Dakota changed the law that requires street addresses knowing that native Americans who live on reservations don't have them.

Georgia enacted an exact match policy knowing only 2.5% of white ballots are being rejected and 20-30% of minority ballots are.

Other states have been closing polling places in predominately black districts.

Year right!

https://www.politifact.com/facebook...-americans-werent-last-get-right-vote-occupy/

North Dakota’s law does pose obstacles for many tribal citizens who don’t have street addresses. However, through the work of voter rights advocates and officials with the Secretary of State’s office, there are ways that Native American voters who have PO boxes instead of residential street addresses will be able to vote. The law does not mean they are losing their right to vote altogether.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
https://www.politifact.com/facebook...-americans-werent-last-get-right-vote-occupy/

North Dakota’s law does pose obstacles for many tribal citizens who don’t have street addresses. However, through the work of voter rights advocates and officials with the Secretary of State’s office, there are ways that Native American voters who have PO boxes instead of residential street addresses will be able to vote. The law does not mean they are losing their right to vote altogether.
It's a good thing those left wing voter rights advocates are out there defending the voting rights against right-wing trash bags.

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Jan 25, 2011

Yeah people are jumping through hoops hoping as many as possible will be able to vote. But the poor and isolated are screwed. They won’t all get looked after and it’s unnecessary. They were able to vote in the primaries etc... but not the actual election due to this law. They are scrambling with a month ago to get thousands of people taken care of.

It’s amazing republicans keep passing these laws right before elections, not to be put in place later. Can’t be any nefarious motivation for that at all right? Thankfully people are stepping up to help but this is bullshit.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

From your link-

In her dissent, Justice Ginsburg noted that the numbers of North Dakota residents who are affected by this change is significant: "1) 70,000 North Dakota residents -- about 20 percent of the turnout in a regular quadrennial election -- lack qualifying ID; and 2) approximately 18,000 residents lack supplemental documentation sufficient to permit them to vote without an ID."

Everybody knows, or should know, that's not good enough. American citizens deserve better than that.

Jan 25, 2011
Meanwhile in Texas...

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/so...ht-ticket-choices-to-other-party-in-key-races

Voters casting their ballots early in Texas claimed this week that when casting Democratic or Republican straight-ticket ballots, voting machines in at least 80 counties in the Lone Star State flipped their votes to the other party in key midterm races, including the high-profile competition between incumbent Sen. Ted Cruz and his Democratic opponent Beto O'Rourke.

The Texas secretary of state's office on Friday said that there have been issues reported with Hart eSlate voting machines, which are used in approximately 30 percent of counties statewide. The machines feature a wheel for selecting candidates and buttons to move from screen to screen.

But the secretary of state's office said the issues were not caused by the voting machines, but by voters themselves.

"The Hart eSlate machines are not malfunctioning, the problems being reported are a result of user error — usually voters hitting a button or using the selection wheel before the screen is finished rendering," said Sam Taylor, spokesman for the office of Secretary of State Rolando Pablos.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
The "both-sides-do-it" meme is based on assumptions. First, "all opinions are equal." If I say the world is round, saying it is flat is just as likely to be true and has equal validity. Second, it's OK to use falsehoods and lies to sway an ignorant voter base, because winning is all that matters, and power is all that matters. Third, using falsehoods in political campaigns has no deleterious effect, as if decisions based on falsehood will certainly lead to outcomes that are "equal" in their benefit to the public.

Probably the only way, most obvious way or "best" way available to test this as regards to voter suppression is simple random statistical samples -- no less the source by which others have provided statistics in this thread.

Another approach to finding the Truth about this issue is to examine whose values support "More voters" and whose values support less. Republicans (and Democrats) know that with less voter turnout, GOP candidates have greater likelihood of winning, and that with more voter turnout, Dem candidates are more likely to win. This doesn't exclude other effects, for instance, where more money spent on a campaign increases the chance of winning at local, state or federal levels.

Conversely, you can prove T of F of this inference by polling for instances, which become a small sample. Any single observation is likely to be an anecdote, so you would want to triangulate and verify the anecdote from a different source. [In other words, if FOX reports X to be True, it can be reliably True only if news organs Y and Z report it True, such that Y and Z are not owned by FOX.]. If one set of news organs report X independently, and some "Z" organ (i.e., FOX) doesn't report it at all, you need another point of triangulation, but that may also exist in the "set of news organs" anyway.

I don't think you're going to find many cases where Dems are trying to suppress the white vote. I haven't seen it argued in a wide sample of objective-journalist media, and I haven't even seen advocacy-journalist media attempting to argue it, either.

Even so, here's an anecdote. During an earlier presidential election, some young Republicans were collecting voter registrations, but insisted only on taking registrations from people voting GOP. In some cases, they were throwing away registrations marked as "Democrat." From personal experience under a weekend canopy tent, this was never a practice of Democrats I know. Perhaps someone can provide another anecdote that shows to the contrary. Then -- someone can verify that anecdote as "real" from a triangulated source.

ecogen

Golden Member
Dec 24, 2016
Personally I agree. I think there's more corruption dealing with voter exclusion... But I also think there should be restrictions on who can vote. If you don't pay into the system I don't feel you should have a vote.

So, what you're saying is most red states shouldn't have a vote in federal matters since they're net receivers of federal funds. I'm game.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

I see it doesn't bother you that that state failed to see if Native Americans got street addresses BEFORE enacting the new law.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I see it doesn't bother you that that state failed to see if Native Americans got street addresses BEFORE enacting the new law.
1. How would they do that?
2. If you read the article you would know even without an address they can still vote.

It's kind of a crappy law but it's not the shitball of fire people are making it out to be.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
2. If you read the article you would know even without an address they can still vote.

It's kind of a crappy law but it's not the shitball of fire people are making it out to be.

Please reply to post #89.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

It ain't that tough to ensure people have their new addresses before changing the law.

But hey I guess its fine putting up roadblocks to voting for certain people. I don't see Democrats closing polling places in Republican white districts.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
It ain't that tough to ensure people have their new addresses before changing the law.

But hey I guess its fine putting up roadblocks to voting for certain people. I don't see Democrats closing polling places in Republican white districts.
Whatever you say boss