Thoughts on new Sony Vaio P

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FerraraZ

Feb 10, 2008
Originally posted by: skulkingghost
Originally posted by: FerraraZ
Originally posted by: clandren
well i'm sure some will pay for it. i bet lots of women will love it and those meterosexuals

gps is a gimmick at best. unless you get lost in the woods or something. you can get 1gb of ram for like $12 these days. so that leaves the pretty screen. if people have $900 to throw around on a toy, more power to them. just doesnt seem practical when its double the cost of other netbooks and does basically the same thing, but looks prettier doing it

I'm sorry I just cannot agree with this. I mean I understand where your coming from 900 is alot for a "netbook".

The thing is GPS is NOT a gimmick. I really cant understand how being able to plan trips and find your way out of an area your unfamiliar with can be gimmicky. I guess you yourself have not found the need but it doesn't mean putting it in a netbook is a gimmicky idea.

I have a gps on my phone, I have a gps in my car, unless they mount my laptop to my car theres really no need for me to have gps in my personal computer, unless it pings back to a server that tells me where my pc is all the time, so i can track if its stolen.

Well I guess not as many people are as smart as u to have 2 gps's...........................

skulkingghost

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2006
how many people do you think will buy this laptop and use it as a gps? It wont mount to a windshield, nor will it be easy to read sitting in a lap or in the passenger seat. Can you power it from a 12v adapter when its battery runs out?

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
Originally posted by: FerraraZ

I'm sorry I just cannot agree with this. I mean I understand where your coming from 900 is alot for a "netbook".

The thing is GPS is NOT a gimmick. I really cant understand how being able to plan trips and find your way out of an area your unfamiliar with can be gimmicky. I guess you yourself have not found the need but it doesn't mean putting it in a netbook is a gimmicky idea.

i think gps itself is fine. its very helpful. but i meant its kind of a gimmick in a laptop and i cant see that as a huge selling point for reasons people mentioned above.

also if you reeeeaally wanted gps in a netbook, or any laptop, then there are usb ones you can get for like $50. sure not as elegant, but its also not as expensive.