Thoughts on new Sony Vaio P

FerraraZ

Feb 10, 2008
There was alot of build up around this new Sony netbook. It is available for purchase and was unveiled at CES.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webap...Id=8198552921644608896

I personally think it looks very attractive for a netbook. Includes GPS which to me is a must when you make a PC that only weighs 1.4 pounds!

I still however dont understand why they feel only 4 hours of battery life is acceptable. I mean if your talking Ultra portable you have got to make a longer lasting battery. I mean atleast a 6 hour charge to last someone the day.

Thoughts?

FerraraZ

Feb 10, 2008
Well pretty much all netbooks use the atom. Yeah you sacrifice performance but it conserves alot of battery life.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Men and boys probably won't but it. Ladies and girls absolutely will. Especially if they are on the trips. Very attractive.

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
yeah, actually the more i look at it the more it reminds me of a woman's purse/wallet/makeup case/ something along those lines

ajaidevsingh

Mar 7, 2008
First of all its a atom..

Secondly its a 945 MB..

Thirdly Its $900..

One can get a Refurnished Air for $999 at apple site. If you really want an Ultra portable with lots of pzazz but not a atom get a Everun Note "AMD Turion X2 with x1250 beats all the Atoms out there ... If you want something a bit bigger the HP DV2 seems lovely for my hand size and my craving for a sony TT type product with offcourse an added GPU card.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
This is absolutely designed for ladies / girls who are always on the move. I see it a perfect fit for them. Though a bit on the expensive side, I think they will be willing to spend a little more to achieve true mobility.

You have to know in the past this kind of UMPC probably will cost you over $1500.

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
Originally posted by: mxnerd
This is absolutely designed for ladies / girls who are always on the move. I see it a perfect fit for them. Though a bit on the expensive side, I think they will be willing to spend a little more to achieve true mobility.

You have to know in the past this kind of UMPC probably will cost you over $1500.

ha yeah. look at this picture http://images.anandtech.com/re...ES/Day1/sm_DSC0704.jpg

i cant imagine a guy walking around with something like that lol

FerraraZ

Feb 10, 2008
Man I thought it was a nice little device. I'm a college student and to write papers in class I thought this to be a pretty neat laptop.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Originally posted by: FerraraZ
Man I thought it was a nice little device. I'm a college student and to write papers in class I thought this to be a pretty neat laptop.

According to the Gizmodo guys, the keys are actually pretty good, as is the trackball, but the mouse keys are a little soft and hard to get sometimes. They say that the screen is gorgeous though, which is to be expected.

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
Originally posted by: TheStu

According to the Gizmodo guys, the keys are actually pretty good, as is the trackball, but the mouse keys are a little soft and hard to get sometimes. They say that the screen is gorgeous though, which is to be expected.

with a base price of $900 it better be

ajaidevsingh

Mar 7, 2008
Nice i also wanna buy a lappy for my collage but this is too expensive for me i terms of value for money... $900 + Extra sony Tax's in India would cost as much as $1000 at least.

I was looking for a netbook but i concluded long ago all net book devices are a waste of money... Thats why i am waiting for the AMD platform congo or if everything else fails i will get a SOny TZ or TT after gathering up money and sellin my old stuff....!!

FerraraZ

Feb 10, 2008
Originally posted by: ajaidevsingh
Nice i also wanna buy a lappy for my collage but this is too expensive for me i terms of value for money... $900 + Extra sony Tax's in India would cost as much as $1000 at least.

I was looking for a netbook but i concluded long ago all net book devices are a waste of money... Thats why i am waiting for the AMD platform congo or if everything else fails i will get a SOny TZ or TT after gathering up money and sellin my old stuff....!!

I have to disagree netbooks are not a waste of money. For basic productivity and TONS of upgrade options, I feel netbooks are more than laptops.

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
cheap netbooks are not a waste of money. i'd think people who buy them know what they are getting.

now expensive netbooks on the other hand? i really dont see how people would want to buy one of those. well unless you are well off and feel like throwing around money for such toys

ajaidevsingh

Mar 7, 2008
I did mean netbooks with a price tag of more than $500 and a Atom inside!!

Also you will be suprised as to how many people dont know what a netbook is. Older aged people think that they are light laptops without a dvd drive and thats why its cheap and thin, etc.

EDIT:- Vaio P sound like Why i Pee... Sorry some one had to say it!!!:D

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
This Sony Vaio P has 1600x768 high resolution, a built-in GPS and 2GB RAM. That's why it cost more.

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
i see.. so i guess that justifies a +$500-$600 increase over other netbooks (1024 x 600 resolution)

FerraraZ

Feb 10, 2008
Originally posted by: clandren
i see.. so i guess that justifies a +$500-$600 increase over other netbooks (1024 x 600 resolution)

Well just the GPS portion would cost an extra 200-300. Not to mention alittle more on that screen. No I'm sorry but that price is justified.

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
well i'm sure some will pay for it. i bet lots of women will love it and those meterosexuals

gps is a gimmick at best. unless you get lost in the woods or something. you can get 1gb of ram for like $12 these days. so that leaves the pretty screen. if people have $900 to throw around on a toy, more power to them. just doesnt seem practical when its double the cost of other netbooks and does basically the same thing, but looks prettier doing it

FerraraZ

Feb 10, 2008
well i'm sure some will pay for it. i bet lots of women will love it and those meterosexuals

gps is a gimmick at best. unless you get lost in the woods or something. you can get 1gb of ram for like $12 these days. so that leaves the pretty screen. if people have $900 to throw around on a toy, more power to them. just doesnt seem practical when its double the cost of other netbooks and does basically the same thing, but looks prettier doing it

I'm sorry I just cannot agree with this. I mean I understand where your coming from 900 is alot for a "netbook".

The thing is GPS is NOT a gimmick. I really cant understand how being able to plan trips and find your way out of an area your unfamiliar with can be gimmicky. I guess you yourself have not found the need but it doesn't mean putting it in a netbook is a gimmicky idea.

skulkingghost

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2006
Originally posted by: FerraraZ

I'm sorry I just cannot agree with this. I mean I understand where your coming from 900 is alot for a "netbook".

The thing is GPS is NOT a gimmick. I really cant understand how being able to plan trips and find your way out of an area your unfamiliar with can be gimmicky. I guess you yourself have not found the need but it doesn't mean putting it in a netbook is a gimmicky idea.

I have a gps on my phone, I have a gps in my car, unless they mount my laptop to my car theres really no need for me to have gps in my personal computer, unless it pings back to a server that tells me where my pc is all the time, so i can track if its stolen.