Thoughts on Affirmative Action??

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Umm, I have to disagree. Kids dont know what constitutes moving forward or backward. And dont have the wherewithall to execute it.

The big problem is that without proper guidance those kids will grow up to be adult delinquents.

Yep.

But, he only rides through Detroit in his Van. I lived there for 12 years, my mother cared about us and I was lucky enough to go to a small performing arts school in Detroit (which is closed now). I got a fairly decent education in Elementary school which laid the groundwork for who I am today. However, I also didnt go to School in Detroit outside of my Elementary education. So maybe, I caught a break there.

The problem I see in Detroit is the hopelessness I see with a LOT of schools there. Well...Detroit is just hopeless in general. There's a new Scandal with the current and former Police Chief giving women promotions in exchange for sex.

*sigh*

Last edited:

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Umm, I have to disagree. Kids dont know what constitutes moving forward or backward. And dont have the wherewithall to execute it.

The big problem is that without proper guidance those kids will grow up to be adult delinquents.

Any adult can see if there is an opportunity out there. Maybe illegal, but they have the capability to see.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
One can home school themselves if there is a shitty school.

Reach for the knowledge that exists even if it is not handed to them.

Instead of reaching for excuses.
Many, perhaps most, urban people really can't home school. The cost of living is simply too high for one earner unless that earner makes a good, above-average salary. Then you have many single parent (or single grandparent) households because our welfare system weakens family bonds. Another unintended consequence . . . And course, most of those parents are themselves products of that failed school system and thus utterly unqualified to teach their children.

The parents them self must have some responsibility for the high drop out rate, and even the child too. While the system it self is to blame no doubt, everyone else is not without blame.
Very true. Many (probably most) Asian families manage to produce good educations from horrendous school systems, so clearly it can be done. But while it's a matter of very hard work - harder work than most of us are willing to put in - it's also a matter of culture. How many white, brown or black children would be willing to give up virtually all their free time to gain an education in spite of a shitty school system? I suspect not that many. Asian cultures demand that of their children, so they generally get it. Other cultures don't, and while some individuals may get that result, most won't; the kids will rebel.

So if 49% of people care and 51% don't we should just be okay with those 49% being stuck in a crap situation because that's what democracy says we should do?
Certainly morally we should not, but within a democratic system how do you fix a shitty school system if 51% of the population feels (as reflected by their votes) that the system is as it should be? That's the beauty of democracy - we get the leaders we deserve.

I been all over the world, both touring with my band, a friends band, and in the military, one thing I can tell you, poor is poor. Black poor in Detroit is no worse than white poor in Alabama, than is brown poor in LA. And no one in America can touch poor in Bulgaria.
I don't know if I'd agree with that. Many poor (mostly black) American government housing projects households I've been in look more like third world prison cells - nasty, virtually nothing on the walls, showing gross neglect even if the building is only a few months old. Many Section 8 private sector detached homes look the same. The kids often have $100 tennis shoes and $200 jogging suits, and there's an amazing number of big screen televisions and XBoxes, but the overall feeling is one of hope's absence. Books are conspicuous mostly by their absence. By contrast, very poor homes in Mexico have a lot of color - cheap posters, portraits of Jesus and (sometimes) political figures - and at least a few well-worn books. At any rate, you're certainly correct that being poor in a country like America has little in common with the truly poor nations.

More importantly though, the factors behind being poor vary from region to region, and that determines the difficulty of rising from poverty. In that respect, being a dirt poor white kid in rural Alabama where the schools are at least safe and there's always farm work to be done is considerably different from being a dirt poor black kid in the midst of Cabrini-Green or a dirt poor brown Hmung kid in Detroit where no one with an education even speaks your language. Certainly to some extent poor is poor, at least within America, but the factors that tend to keep one poor can vary considerably.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Right and when did I ever say either of those were excuses? Did I ever mention race? Nope. Did I say something about Slavery or whatever you're talking about being an excuse. Never.

Don't put words in my mouth. You sound like that other guy right now.

:rolleyes:

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Newsflash - Detroit, this is the latest news about the police chief, or shall we say, former chief. BTW, for the last 4 years, Detroit had 5 different police chiefs. Very stable there...NOT.

http://www.freep.com/article/20121009/NEWS01/310090085/After-sex-scandal-forces-Ralph-Godbee-Jr-to-resign-police-chief-candidates-will-be-asked-bout-relationships?odyssey=nav%7Chead

Candidates for Detroit's next police chief will be asked a touchy question during the selection process: Have you ever had an intimate relationship with a subordinate?
The questioning is designed to avoid a sex scandal like the one that forced Detroit Police Chief Ralph Godbee Jr. to immediately retire Monday, a week after Officer Angelica Robinson alleged she had a months-long relationship with the chief. It was the second time Godbee was accused of having an affair with a subordinate during his two years as chief.

His predecessor, Warren Evans, was forced to resign, in part, because of his relationship with the same lieutenant Godbee had been involved with before being appointed.

Last week, Robinson's gun was taken away after she became distraught and posted a photo of herself with a gun in her mouth on a social networking site.

Must be the faults of whiteys/racists/Bush/Republicans/<fill in the blank of typical blames for own self inflicted multiple failures>. They made him/them to have sex with that/those woman(en). Poor chief(s). :D

Don't forget about former mayor Kwame Kilpatrick and other well know corruption cases in that city.

Last edited:

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Link

Supreme court is going to weigh in on authorized discrimination.

Supporters of affirmative action fear that the Supreme Court could curtail or further restrict the use of race-conscious admissions policies at public universities.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Abigail Fisher, a recent graduate of Louisiana State University, applied to UT-Austin for the fall 2008 semester and was denied admission. She filed suit claiming reverse discrimination and that less qualified minority students were given precedence over her. The university maintains the reason she was denied was because she fell outside the top 10 percent of her class and she would not have been admitted even if race played a role in the process.

If a student is not granted admission to UT-Austin under the Top 10 Percent rule, which guarantees admission for students in the top 10 percent of their class, then a holistic review process requires that other factors are taken into account, including race.

Colleges often weigh race-neutral factors such as socio-economic status, or whether students are the first in their family to attend college, or whether the family moved often during a student&#8217;s formative years.

Low-income, white students, including children from rural areas, often benefit equally from such considerations.

Texas automatically accepts the top 10 percent of each of its high schools&#8217; graduating classes. Given the state&#8217;s many high schools that are de facto segregated by race, this guarantees a certain measure of diversity. Applicants not in the top 10 percent are selected based on other factors, one of which is race.

Abigail Fisher didn&#8217;t make the 10 percent cut. Nor was she admitted based on a variety of other criteria considered. She sued, arguing she was denied admission because of her race.

Wait, so they have a preference for students who are in the top 10 percent of their class. Mrs. Fisher didn't make the cut and basically ended us as a bottom of the barrel pick. She thought she was atleast entitled to one of those spots...didn't get in through the bottom of the barrel either..so, she pulls the race card.

Source

Abigail Fisher, applied to the University of Texas - a highly ranked flagship state university - with a GPA of 3.59 out of 4.00 and an SAT score of 1180 out of 1600. Need we say more?

I don't know about other states, but at Michigan Universities like the one I attend and the University of Michigan...if you don't get a high score on a standardized test..your GPA becomes weighted. Which pretty much means that if I say...get a 22 on the ACT and a 1100 on the SAT, I need to have a HIGHER GPA to be considered for admission. For UM, it would most likely require me to literally be a 4.0 student. At MSU, you will probably get in with that.

If you are applying for Law School or a Top university, your test scores matter. You may have a high GPA, but someone probably has the same GPA as you but higher test scores.

Source

* This issue is not as black and white as people make it out to be. Like I said before, I'd be interested in knowing what the applications for these Plantiffs are when they accuse a University of discriminating against them.

Last edited:

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Wait, so they have a preference for students who are in the top 10 percent of their class. Mrs. Fisher didn't make the cut and basically ended us as a bottom of the barrel pick. She thought she was atleast entitled to one of those spots...didn't get in through the bottom of the barrel either..so, she pulls the race card.

Source

I don't know about other states, but at Michigan Universities like the one I attend and the University of Michigan...if you don't get a high score on a standardized test..your GPA becomes weighted. Which pretty much means that if I say...get a 22 on the ACT and a 1100 on the SAT, I need to have a HIGHER GPA to be considered for admission. For UM, it would most likely require me to literally be a 4.0 student. At MSU, you will probably get in with that.

If you are applying for Law School or a Top university, your test scores matter. You may have a high GPA, but someone probably has the same GPA as you but higher test scores.

Source

* This issue is not as black and white as people make it out to be. Like I said before, I'd be interested in knowing what the applications for these Plantiffs are when they accuse a University of discriminating against them.

We do not know how well her school does overall, an 11th percentile at her school could be a 99th percentile at most other schools.

The fact remains she could have very well been denied admission over less qualified African Americans, simply because they were African Americans.

Last edited:

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
We do not know how well her school does overall, an 11th percentile at her school could be a 99th percentile at most other schools.

The fact remains she could have very well been denied admission over less qualified African Americans, simply because they were African Americans.

Riiiight, but the admissions say the TOP TEN PERCENT of your graduating class. Not how highly your school ranks in Texas, this is about individual merit. Only the students who graduate in the top ten percent of their schools get in. What is this 11th percentile nonsense? You have it all right there...laid out for you and you are still trying to say a black kid took her spot? Seriously? She was unqualified per the schools own admissions screening for automatic acceptance. She feels entitled to a spot at the University regardless of this undeniable fact.

Do you feel she is entitled to a spot at UT? She scored lower than I did on the SAT, her GPA is lower than mine. I'm sure her SAT and GPA scores are lower to all the students who were automatically admitted.

Lets see...she was already unqualified for regular admissions, so she goes in the pile with all the other unqualified applicants. She doesnt get one of the spots reserved for unqualified students..so that means, an unqualified black applicant took her spot.

She was a bottom of the barrel pick as was the other students trying to take the same spot she was denied. How many white students do you think got rejected with her? How many black? How many Asian?

Are you seriously saying the only reason she didnt get it was probably because of Affirmative Action bias towards Black students?

Last edited:

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Riiiight, but the admissions say the TOP TEN PERCENT. So what does it matter if she came in the 11th percentile at her school. She didn't meet the standards.

So, because she didn't get it...it had to be a black person that took her spot? Did you not just read that they automatically let the qualified people in and leave the unqualified to scrape the bottom of the barrel. A low class white student could have taken her spot. You just don't know...and she doesn't either.

This case has no merit. Especially when the school has already show that she isnt the type of student that gets admitted.

This is the same as the young woman who sued the University of Michigan when she scored low on her SAT, did not get admitted and said a black person took her spot.

I see a pattern here...unqualified white doesnt get into school...blames it on an unqualified black taking their spot.

You do know that schools take into account non-race factors right? Such as being the first in your family to go to college, etc?

It is top 10 percent for each school. The top 10% for her school might be far more difficult to get into than another school. Those others factors are NOT in dispute.

No were did it say she was unqualified. If a school is full of high achievers were the 50th percentile at the school is in the state 5th percentile would you still say that the students at the school outside of the top 10 percent are all bottom barrel, NO, because they are not. All you are doing is encouraging students to go to a low performing school, to increase their chances of being in the top 10% of that school.

Leon55ia

Oct 9, 2012
I am talking about Race based Affirmative Action here, that should be clear.

01.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
0.jpg

Last edited:

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
It is top 10 percent for each school. The top 10% for her school might be far more difficult to get into than another school. Those others factors are NOT in dispute.

No were did it say she was unqualified. If a school is full of high achievers were the 50th percentile at the school is in the state 5th percentile would you still say that the students at the school outside of the top 10 percent are all bottom barrel, NO, because they are not. All you are doing is encouraging students to go to a low performing school, to increase their chances of being in the top 10% of that school.

Oh, did I just read an excuse for not meeting admissions requirements?! :rolleyes:

Top 10 percent is the TOP TEN PERCENT. No excuses, if she failed to make it..that is her problem, UT is just as selective as the University of Michigan which is another top tier school in my state. Don't dream of applying there if you are a competitive applicant. Do you think she was entitled to a spot with such a low SAT score? 1180/1600.... Whats that 73% of the total score? Do you really think a school that is looking for the top 10% of HS graduates is going to take someone who 1) is not in the 10% and 2)Has low test scores to boot?

Tell me something, if we were talking about Harvard or Yale, what would you be saying then?

No were did it say she was unqualified.

Um...right down here.

Texas automatically accepts the top 10 percent of each of its high schools&#8217; graduating classes. Given the state&#8217;s many high schools that are de facto segregated by race, this guarantees a certain measure of diversity. Applicants not in the top 10 percent are selected based on other factors, one of which is race.

Abigail Fisher didn&#8217;t make the 10 percent cut.
Nor was she admitted based on a variety of other criteria considered. She sued, arguing she was denied admission because of her race.

She didn't meet automatic admission requirements, the school then goes on to say that even after not meeting the automatic admission requirements, she still couldn't beat applicants.

It doesnt matter where she wen't to school...are you saying applicants should be given a break based on how hard it is to place at the top of their own schools?

Come on...how desperate are you to downplay this? She was unqualified. The school is looking for cream of the crop, she wasnt it and ended up in a general pool. Her spot was most likely taken by an Asian or another White applicant. Do you really think an applicant even lower qualified than he took her spot?

It says right up there that the school is already racially diverse. Keep rationalizing

Last edited:

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Oh, did I just read an excuse for not meeting admissions requirements?! :rolleyes:

Top 10 percent is the TOP TEN PERCENT. No excuses, if she failed to make it..that is her problem, UT is just as selective as the University of Michigan which is another top tier school in my state. Don't dream of applying there if you are a competitive applicant. Do you think she was entitled to a spot with such a low SAT score? 1180/1600.... Whats that 73% of the total score? Do you really think a school that is looking for the top 10% of HS graduates is going to take someone who 1) is not in the 10% and 2)Has low test scores to boot?

Tell me something, if we were talking about Harvard or Yale, what would you be saying then?

Um...right down here.

She didn't meet automatic admission requirements, the school then goes on to say that even after not meeting the automatic admission requirements, she still couldn't beat applicants.

It doesnt matter where she wen't to school...are you saying applicants should be given a break based on how hard it is to place at the top of their own schools?

Come on...how desperate are you to downplay this? She was unqualified. The school is looking for cream of the crop, she wasnt it and ended up in a general pool. Her spot was most likely taken by an Asian or another White applicant. Do you really think an applicant even lower qualified than he took her spot?

It says right up there that the school is already racially diverse. Keep rationalizing

It doesn't say she was under-qualified at all, you are claiming it says something it does NOT.

She could have been in the top 5% of those who applied, you have no idea how she scored compared to everyone else. All it says is she wasn't in the top 10% at her OWN school.
She could have even been in the top 1% of all applicants, you have no clue as to her academics, other than she wasn't in the top 10% at her school.

According to your thinking all parents should send their children to the lowest performing schools, greater chances of admissions.

Last edited:

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
She could have been in the top 5% of those who applied, you have no idea how she scored compared to everyone else. All it says is she wasn't in the top 10% at her OWN school.
She could have even been in the top 1% of all applicants, you have no clue as to her academics, other than she wasn't in the top 10% at her school.

According to your thinking all parents should send their children to the lowest performing schools, greater chances of admissions.

The university maintains the reason she was denied was because she fell outside the top 10 percent of her class and she would not have been admitted even if race played a role in the process.

If a student is not granted admission to UT-Austin under the Top 10 Percent rule, which guarantees admission for students in the top 10 percent of their class, then a holistic review process requires that other factors are taken into account, including race.

You do understand that being in the top 5% also means you're in the top 10%? You DO understand that they only automatically admit people who graduated in the TOP TEN PERCENT of their HS, right?

Do you not understand that?

All it says is she wasn't in the top 10% at her OWN school.

Texas automatically accepts the top 10 percent of each of its high schools&#8217; graduating classes

So you admit she wasnt qualified for automatic admission, ok.

How the hell can she be in the top 1% of all applicants when she didn't even graduate in the top 10% of her class? Are you having problems understanding this?

LMAO, you don't get it. She didn't place in the Top Ten Percent because her school was too hard (lmao)..she didn't place because maybe she isnt smarter than the top ten percent of her class.
Look at you, making excuses for mediocrity.

This makes the playing field fair. Weren't you guys just going on and on about how poor Asians and poor whites make the best of their situations and blacks in shitty schools can do better? Well here you have it...a rule that guarantees that those who work the hardest get a guaranteed spot in college.

Oh, btw. Affirmative Action has been banned in Texas since 1996. The put the Top Ten Percent rule in place because the schools in Texas are highly segregated. This means that everyone has a fair chance to get in, black, white, asian, and hispanic...as long as they graduate in the Top Ten Percent of their class.

Last edited:

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
You do understand that being in the top 5% also means you're in the top 10%? You DO understand that they only automatically admit people who graduated in the TOP TEN PERCENT of their HS, right?

Do you not understand that?

So you admit she wasnt qualified for automatic admission, ok.

How the hell can she be in the top 1% of all applicants when she didn't even graduate in the top 10% of her class? Are you having problems understanding this?

LMAO, you don't get it. She didn't place in the Top Ten Percent because her school was too hard (lmao)..she didn't place because maybe she isnt smarter than the top ten percent of her class.
Look at you, making excuses for mediocrity.

This makes the playing field fair. Weren't you guys just going on and on about how poor Asians and poor whites make the best of their situations and blacks in shitty schools can do better? Well here you have it...a rule that guarantees that those who work the hardest get a guaranteed spot in college.

Oh, btw. Affirmative Action has been banned in Texas since 1996. The put the Top Ten Percent rule in place because the schools in Texas are highly segregated. This means that everyone has a fair chance to get in, black, white, asian, and hispanic...as long as they graduate in the Top Ten Percent of their class.

You do understand that being in the top 10% of all students doesn't make you in the top 10% of your school right.

If her class only had 50 students, if she was rank 6 out of those 50, she would be outside of the top 10%. Those 50 students could still be in the top 10% of all students though.

You do not seem to grasp that the top 10% of an individual class is not the same as the top 10% of all students graduating.

I said nothing about her school being too hard, I said her school could be full of high achievers. The top 10% of her class could be scoring near perfect on the SATs as far as we know.

Last edited:

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012

You do understand that being in the top 10% of all students doesn't make you in the top 10% of your school right.

If her class only had 50 students, if she was rank 6 out of those 50, she would be outside of the top 10%. Those 50 students could still be in the top 10% of all students though.

You do not seem to grasp that the top 10% of an individual class is not the same as the top 10% of all students graduating.

I said nothing about her school being too hard, I said her school could be full of high achievers. The top 10% of her class could be scoring near perfect on the SATs as far as we know.

Lmao...

Do you even know what you're talking about? Automatic admission is based on GRADUATING CLASS. That means, from Freshman year, you are ranked out of all the kids who are supposed to walk across the stage with you at the end of Senior year. Being at the Top 10% of your GRADUATING CLASS, means that you did better than 90% of the kids you wen't to school with. Do you not get it?

You do not seem to grasp that there is no such thing as an individual class. Do you think they are talking about how well she did in Math class vs the other students? HAHAHA

Sounds like an excuse.

So, because she wasnt better than the 10% of her class and was denied admission per the Top Ten Percent rule. Then, she was rejected in the losers bin...it must be because of Affirmative Action...you know, in a state when AA has been outlawed since 1996. LMAO

Last edited:

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Lmao...

For some reason, you don't understand that automatic admissions at UT are based by SCHOOL. Not by Applicants. She wasnt in the top 10% of her graduating class in HS = Not guaranteed a spot

What is this nonsense about 50 students? Either she graduated in the top 10% of her class or she didn't.

This is hilarious, you say blacks make excuses for not doing well..but here you are, foot in mouth, making excuses for a white student that can't even meet the competitive admissions requirement.

Stop trying to spin it.

You keep talking about stuff they never claimed. You are making stuff up about her academics, when you know nothing about her academics. You claim nonsense that anyone who isn't in the top 10% of their own HS is a bottom of the barrel student, with low performance.

You could be going to a school were the average student is in the top 1% of all high school students, but if you graduate outside that 10% you are a bottom of the barrel student, never mind your straight As, never mind your near perfect SAT.

You keep ignoring the KEY facts that other students could have been admitted over because of her race.

AA isn't outlawed in Texas, the case is about affirmative action.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Lmao...

Do you even know what you're talking about? Automatic admission is based on GRADUATING CLASS. That means, from Freshman year, you are ranked out of all the kids who are supposed to walk across the stage with you at the end of Senior year. Being at the Top 10% of your GRADUATING CLASS, means that you did better than 90% of the kids you wen't to school with. Do you not get it?

You do not seem to grasp that there is no such thing as an individual class. Do you think they are talking about how well she did in Math class vs the other students? HAHAHA

Sounds like an excuse.

So, because she wasnt better than the 10% of her class and was denied admission per the Top Ten Percent rule. Then, she was rejected in the losers bin...it must be because of Affirmative Action...you know, in a state when AA has been outlawed since 1996. LMAO

I am done with you. You are beyond ignorant. Truly ignorant.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012

You keep talking about stuff they never claimed. You are making stuff up about her academics, when you know nothing about her academics. You claim nonsense that anyone who isn't in the top 10% of their own HS is a bottom of the barrel student, with low performance.

You could be going to a school were the average student is in the top 1% of all high school students, but if you graduate outside that 10% you are a bottom of the barrel student, never mind your straight As, never mind your near perfect SAT.

You keep ignoring the KEY facts that other students could have been admitted over because of her race.

Says right there in two of my sources how well she did in school, bud. I never said anyone who isnt in the top ten was a bad student. I just said they werent good enough to get automatically admitted. They are second pick, bottom of the barrel..etc.

Even if all the kids in her school were smarter than her... that doesnt excuse the fact that she got a 1180/1600 on the SAT and a 3.59 average GPA...is that because the kids in the top 10% stole straight A's and perfect SAT scores from her?

Oh man, she was so disadvantaged. Not enough achievement to go around at her school.

So, in lieu of that...a black kid probably took her spot. Nevermind the white, asian, or latino kid that probably took it.

But yea, you were right, AA is not outlawed per se.. Schools in Texas are not allowed to use Quotas to make admission decisions

On June 23, 2003, the Supreme Court abrogated Hopwood in Grutter v. Bollinger, 539 U.S. 306 (2003) in which the high court found that the United States Constitution "does not prohibit the law school's narrowly tailored use of race in admissions decisions to further a compelling interest in obtaining the educational benefits that flow from a diverse student body." The ruling means that universities in the Fifth Circuit's jurisdiction can again use race as a factor in admissions (as long as quotas are not used, per Gratz v. Bollinger, 539 U.S. 244 (2003)).

I am done with you. You are beyond ignorant. Truly ignorant.

LOL. Right. Im ignorant. You just sat there and made eleventy-twenty excuses for why this young woman wasnt able to meet the requirements for Automatic Admissions...and you tell me I am beyond ignorant. ha!

Last edited:

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
A little bit of facts about person of this story. Ms. Fisher, graduated HS with a 3.59 GPA = cum laude, bottom of the barrel? Yeah right.

&#8220;What is Cum Laude: Graduating With Honor means graduating cum laude. What does cum laude mean? Translators define cum laude as With Praise. Cum laude honors, graduated with honors, graduation honors, and graduate cum laude all involve a high GPA.&#8221;
http://www.academicapparel.com/caps/cum-laude.html

Ms. Fisher, who went on to graduate from college this spring from Louisiana State University instead of whined and bitched and blamed everything on someone else as certain group like to do, bottom of the barrel? Uh huh. :rolleyes:
http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/education/justices-to-re-examine-use-of-race-in-college-admissions

Bottom of the barrel = &#8220; the location of persons or things of the very lowest quality; someone or something of the lowest quality&#8221;
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/bottom+of+the+barrel

Summary = Ms. Fisher, graduated HS with honor and did graduate college from an accredited university instead of drop out. Those are undeniable facts. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, it is your call if she is "bottom of the barrel" or not. They can't handle the truth.

Look like the group with 65% high school graduation rate years after years (see link above from PBS Frontline) is more fitting of the definition. That&#8217;s why they don&#8217;t want to eliminate AA and set aside programs. That's all they got.

Eliminate AA and ALL set aside programs. No prefer treatment for anyone. Very simple to understand. No "if", "and", or "but". PERIOD.

Last edited:

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
A little bit of facts about person of this story. Ms. Fisher, graduated HS with a 3.59 GPA = cum laude, bottom of the barrel? Yeah right.

&#8220;What is Cum Laude: Graduating With Honor means graduating cum laude. What does cum laude mean? Translators define cum laude as With Praise. Cum laude honors, graduated with honors, graduation honors, and graduate cum laude all involve a high GPA.&#8221;
http://www.academicapparel.com/caps/cum-laude.html

Ms. Fisher, who went on to graduate from college this spring from Louisiana State University instead of whined and bitched and blamed everything on someone else as certain group like to do, bottom of the barrel? Uh huh. :rolleyes:
http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/education/justices-to-re-examine-use-of-race-in-college-admissions

Bottom of the barrel = &#8220; the location of persons or things of the very lowest quality; someone or something of the lowest quality&#8221;
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/bottom+of+the+barrel

Summary = Ms. Fisher, graduated HS with honor and did graduate college from an accredited university instead of drop out. Those are undeniable facts. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, it is your call if she is "bottom of the barrel" or not. They can't handle the truth.

Look like the group with 65% high school graduation rate years after years (see link above from PBS Frontline) is more fitting of the definition. That&#8217;s why they don&#8217;t want to eliminate AA and set aside programs. That's all they got.

Eliminate AA and ALL set aside programs. No prefer treatment for anyone. Very simple to understand. No "if", "and", or "but". PERIOD.

she sounds like a heck of a girl. not "bottom of the barrel" not unqualified and sure in the hell not stupid.

dcals point was spot on.

Last edited:

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
The dispute is not about whether or not she graduated with honors. Its about Ms. Fischer not being better than the Top 10% of her HS and obviously not being better than the other applicants who applied for UT.

Abigail Fisher, applied to the University of Texas - a highly ranked flagship state university - with a GPA of 3.59 out of 4.00 and an SAT score of 1180 out of 1600. Need we say more?

Are you kidding? That SAT score is not good at all. She was not a competitive applicant, obviously 1) for not graduating at the top of her class. Graduating with honors means nothing. I graduated with honors, too. 2) not having a high enough SAT score to complement her GPA. How did she do on the ACT? Presumably worse..she didn't even use that score for her app.

she fell outside the top 10 percent of her class and she would not have been admitted even if race played a role in the process.

You guys are really reaching. Somebody was better than her, she didn't get in. So it must be a race issue...despite that UT has been able to maintain a diverse student body after getting slammed for AA practices in 96, they come up with the Top Ten Percent rule and this young woman is still calling foul..

Anyone who isnt in the Top Ten is obviously second rate to UT, she had to scrape the bottom of the barrel for a spot...hence why I called her a bottom of the barrel applicant.

ProTip: Don't apply for schools you KNOW you don't have a chance to get into.

Last edited:

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
The dispute is not about whether or not she graduated with honors. Its about Ms. Fischer not being better than the Top 10% of her HS and obviously not being better than the other applicants who applied for UT.
ProTip: Don't apply for schools you KNOW you don't have a chance to get into. *
*unless you qualify for AA

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

Are you kidding? That SAT score is not good at all. She was not a competitive applicant, obviously 1) for not graduating at the top of her class. Graduating with honors means nothing. I graduated with honors, too. 2) not having a high enough SAT score to complement her GPA. How did she do on the ACT? Presumably worse..she didn't even use that score for her app.

You guys are really reaching. Somebody was better than her, she didn't get in. So it must be a race issue...despite that UT has been able to maintain a diverse student body after getting slammed for AA practices in 96, they come up with the Top Ten Percent rule and this young woman is still calling foul..

Anyone who isnt in the Top Ten is obviously second rate to UT, she had to scrape the bottom of the barrel for a spot...hence why I called her a bottom of the barrel applicant.

ProTip: Don't apply for schools you KNOW you don't have a chance to get into.

http://teachers.sduhsd.k12.ca.us/lccounseling/sat-act_conversion_chart.htm

An 1180 SAT score translates to an ACT score of 26. I believe the average ACT score is around 21-22. She was applying to a public school, not Harvard or Yale. I fail to see how you would call here score "not good at all" when it is clearly above average.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
she sounds like a heck of a girl. not "bottom of the barrel" not unqualified and sure in the hell not stupid.

dcals point was spot on.

Yup. I am not saying she is the next Nobel prize winner but what she achieved so far >>>>> a lot of folks that like to whine and bitch and blame everyone else because of their own self inflicted multiple wounds.

If there was not such thing as AA and set aside programs for certain minority groups, then Ms. Fisher would not have a leg to stand on with her claim. Therefore, eliminate AA and all set aside programs = everyone will be grade on his/her own merit and hard work. No more drama.

*unless you qualify for AA

Ouch. :D

Last edited: