This thread is over.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield
Things to do list for you:

1. Get laid, it could be a one night stand or a long term relationship but you're not ready for a long term relationship so avoid it.

2. Get ridiculously drunk and behave like an arse, laugh about it in the morning.

3. Start a fight, next time someone bumps into you, turn around and punch him in the face, take a beating if he gives you one but don't stand down.

4. Learn a skill that is outside your field, learn how to cook.

5. repeat step no 1 over and over until you mastered step no 4 and then you'll be ready for a long term relationship.

6. live well and prosper.

That works in England because no one has guns.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by: kevinthenerd
Originally posted by: mwmorph

Welcome to life. You are not special, you are no unique, you are not a standout no matter how highly you think of yourself, there's always someone more accomplished, more intelligent, better than you. Hell there's probably someone out there or a good number of people out there that can complain about your lack of knowledge on various subjects so humble yourself and play the game we all cal life.

People who are overly humble don't stretch their boundaries. You need that business-like hunger to accomplish things. You need the energy to go out and grab what's yours for the taking. This isn't the characteristic of smart people; it's the characteristic of disciplined and motivated people. There are plenty of people who are smarter than me, but do they want what I want as badly as I want it?

Bullshit. I know plenty of people who are amazing at what they do, yet they never toot their own horn.

Oct 20, 2005
OP, the God honest truth here is that.....well, no one really cares what you have to say or how you feel.

Stop whining and stop thinking you are so misunderstood. You are no more different than the other millions of crying whining kids out there. You are not a unique case as you make yourself out to be.

TheoPetro

Banned
Nov 30, 2004
listen kid (im 22 and I say kid because you come across as socially retarded) you need to get the hell off your high horse and stop thinking youre the absolute shit because I guarantee you're not.

I did physics (through modern physics and mechanics)
I did math (through PDE)
I built a custom water cooling system when I was 19 from scraps
I did the C++ thing
I have painted since I was ~14 and have had my work in a gallery and have sold some of it
I worked as a plumber part time for 4 years
I have an IQ over 2 standard deviations above average
I am now majoring in finance and am vice president of a company while im at it

wanna know the kicker? I can relate to people. I dont have a superiority complex that forces me to post mindnumbingly dumb shit to boost my ego. My close friends range from nurses to waitresses to polymer engineers to accountants. I dont feel "lost" or "misunderstood". I dont crave attention so much I need to try to find it on internet message boards. I go out every other night and enjoy life.

Your biggest problem is that you see everyone else as inferior. You really do need to get over yourself or we are going to be reading about your "cleansing" bullshit in the news in a few years. You think youre all high and mighty well if you came to my company for a job there wouldn't be a chance in hell you would get hired. credentials only go so far, people skills are what get you places in life. You cant learn people skills the same way you learn calculus. You have to be able to empathize with people and understand where there coming from. Maybe youre not the misunderstood one, maybe you just dont understand anyone else.

you are not anywhere near as special as you think and thats your biggest problem.

Nov 7, 2000
Originally posted by: TheoPetro
listen kid (im 22 and I say kid because you come across as socially retarded) you need to get the hell off your high horse and stop thinking youre the absolute shit because I guarantee you're not.

I did math (through PDE)
I did the C++ thing
I have painted since I was ~14 and have had my work in a gallery and have sold some of it

wanna know the kicker? I can relate to people. I dont have a superiority complex that forces me to post mindnumbingly dumb shit to boost my ego. My close friends range from nurses to waitresses to polymer engineers to accountants. I dont feel "lost" or "misunderstood". I dont crave attention so much I need to try to find it on internet message boards. I go out every other night and enjoy life.

Your biggest problem is that you see everyone else as inferior. You really do need to get over yourself or we are going to be reading about your "cleansing" bullshit in the news in a few years. You think youre all high and mighty well if you came to my company for a job there wouldn't be a chance in hell you would get hired. credentials only go so far, people skills are what get you places in life. You cant learn people skills the same way you learn calculus. You have to be able to empathize with people and understand where there coming from. Maybe youre not the misunderstood one, maybe you just dont understand anyone else.

you are not anywhere near as special as you think and thats your biggest problem.
QFT, and irony

Oct 4, 2004
In the restaurant where I worked (which was actually in Port Richey), I had people tell me that hot water dulls the knives... speaking with absolutely no knowledge of the creep temperature of stainless steels or the corrosion resistance of chromium and molybdenum. I disagreed with them politely, and they laughed. Sure, putting sharp knives into a commercial dishwasher will tend to dull a knife, but did they stop to consider the abrasive effect of adjacent kitchenware or the effects of the chemicals? Their source of information is nothing short of folklore. One person made an assumption somewhere along the line, and everybody believed it blindly.

Why the hell does it bother you that a couple of guys working in a restaurant don't know anything about materials sciences? Do you think you are God's gift to humanity? You liken yourself to Edison and Newton? WTF mate, chill the hell out. You don't need kind words and encouragement, you need a bloody wake-up call telling you you've got issues and are probably the kind of person people actively avoid (not that this would be a problem to your socially-challenged self).

TheoPetro

Banned
Nov 30, 2004
Originally posted by: HardcoreRobot

I did math (through PDE)
I did the C++ thing

QFT, and irony

there would only be irony if I acted like some smug, holier than thou, elitist. The only reason I said those things is to help him understand that there are many other people out there that are just as "smart" as he is or smarter. It was more to prove a point than to build myself up.

Winchester

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by: kevinthenerd

I too have an IQ over 2 standard deviations from the mean. So what? That alone doesn't make me special. Great... we're both Mensa-eligible. Over the years, I've been friends with at least two people with IQs over five standard deviations from the mean. (Ok, so it does make them a little special, and with IQs that rare, it's also unusual that I befriended both of them, but it's the truth.)

I will readily admit that, although I have commission sales experience, I would not make the world's best salesman. I would make a terrible marketing director. I would even make a terrible nurse. I'm not the world's biggest people person. Regardless, I do have people skills. My technical skills are far superior to my people skills, but I'm not completely lacking in that area as some would believe.

I feel everything will change once I get a real job. I'll have people with which to bounce ideas and share insights. People are social creatures. Part of my problem is that I won't settle for small talk. I want to discuss ideas. I want to know what you might think of my concept of a circular number line (to explain division by zero) or of energy economics (an idea I'm developing that I hope will be a superset of the concept of entropy). I've known at least three people with which to discuss such ideas, and now I know of none.

I need to get out of this hick town and join Mensa or something. It's just a matter of renewing my membership.

OMG. This has to be a joke now. There is no way people this much into themselves can exist.

How often do you let your wife do the talking? Just to hear what she says? Do you just shut her out every time because she does not want to discuss quantum physics when she tells you that she is starving and it is ruining your marriage that you dont have a job and are too much into yourself.

Get a life. Getting a job will not help. When you do get one, you will expect people to listen all of your "unique" ideas. Guess what...They have been done a thousand times.

Ever notice how "normal" or in your case "hick" people are much more happy. Learn from them and understand them then you can relate to them.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Ego has a voracious appetite, the more you feed it, the hungrier it gets.

lyssword

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2005
Dude, I guess you learned your lesson. Never talk about anything personal on ATOT, a lot of AT'ers here are elitist pricks with low levels of emotional maturity and will keep on cracking "go flip burgers" type of jokes.