This thread is over.

kevinthenerd

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2002
I'm not going to seek your approval. I was looking for a little sympathy but need to find it elsewhere.

Locked due to nothing to see here.

AT Senior Moderator
compuwiz1

elmro

Dec 4, 2005
There are plenty of engineering companies out there. Look forward to getting paid to do what you love!

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: kevinthenerd
I don't party or go out, and I don't spend a lot of time for empty enjoyment.

Maybe you should try that? You aren't stuck in life. You're what, 22? Your life hasn't really begun yet. Go out, have some fun, enjoy being young while you still are, and keep applying. Someone will hire you. You'll be fine.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
I'm on the computer nightly looking up new and exciting technologies and whatnot. I don't party or go out, and I don't spend a lot of time for empty enjoyment.

This is the source of your boredom.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
/wrists

Just kidding. Find a hobby that involves other people, join a bowling league or take dancing classes or something.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
While I'm not the very best in any one thing, I have an impressive synergistic skill set. I can program in C and BASIC, and I can troubleshoot PC hardware and Windows operating system issues (except Vista). I'm four months away from my bachelor's in mechanical engineering, and outside of the classroom I taught myself matrix/linear algebra (from MIT's video lectures) and Solid Works (from the help files). I'm working on watching the video lectures for a graduate class in automation (even though I'll never get credit for it). I finished building a 3-axis CNC mill, and I was about halfway through the software when a motor broke tonight. I applied for an internship at Lockheed Martin but was turned down due to my GPA and the fact that I'm too close to graduation (even though I had an engineer on the inside recommending me). I subscribe to Racecar Engineering and read it religiously; combining that knowledge with what I've learned in books and Wikipedia and other websites, I can keep up with ANY talk on IC engines. I'm on the computer nightly looking up new and exciting technologies and whatnot. I don't party or go out, and I don't spend a lot of time for empty enjoyment.

This is frustrating as all hell! I'm sick of being a student all the time. I want some practical experience. The physical application of what I'm learning is why I've been spending all this time all along. It was so frustrating tonight that the project that came closest to fruition (due to the financial luck of coming across the most expensive components for free) died. What is the point of the life I wasted learning all this when I'm just going to get "no" for an answer? I want to help the world. I have what it takes to do so. My literary research has been fucking EXTENSIVE as all hell. On my own, in addition to what I've seen in school, I've studied management and business, psychology, history, electronics, philosophy, spirituality, photography, chemistry, physics, biochemistry, etc. While I'm probably not as smart as the movie character Will Hunting, I do find that sometimes the people who understand me best are long dead in a book somewhere.

What can I do? I need some capital funding to get going on an invention or something. I feel totally stuck in life with nowhere to go. While I don't feel lost, I feel like I'm out of gas.

Jesus Christ... what r u complaing about?

$ and toys isnt anything. having a passion you enjoy is what life's all about.

you like to tinker, learn, and build. Kinda like a real life McGyver.

I would trade my fortune to be in your shoes in a heartbeat.

Here's my story

Jun 27, 2005
Step 1. Back away from the computer
Step 2. Leave the house
Step 3. ???
Step 4. Still ??? but it's better than what you're doing now.

ngvepforever2

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2003
While I'm not the very best in any one thing, I have an impressive synergistic skill set. I can program in C and BASIC, and I can troubleshoot PC hardware and Windows operating system issues (except Vista). I'm four months away from my bachelor's in mechanical engineering, and outside of the classroom I taught myself matrix/linear algebra (from MIT's video lectures) and Solid Works (from the help files). I'm working on watching the video lectures for a graduate class in automation (even though I'll never get credit for it). I finished building a 3-axis CNC mill, and I was about halfway through the software when a motor broke tonight. I applied for an internship at Lockheed Martin but was turned down due to my GPA and the fact that I'm too close to graduation (even though I had an engineer on the inside recommending me). I subscribe to Racecar Engineering and read it religiously; combining that knowledge with what I've learned in books and Wikipedia and other websites, I can keep up with ANY talk on IC engines. I'm on the computer nightly looking up new and exciting technologies and whatnot. I don't party or go out, and I don't spend a lot of time for empty enjoyment.

This is frustrating as all hell! I'm sick of being a student all the time. I want some practical experience. The physical application of what I'm learning is why I've been spending all this time all along. It was so frustrating tonight that the project that came closest to fruition (due to the financial luck of coming across the most expensive components for free) died. What is the point of the life I wasted learning all this when I'm just going to get "no" for an answer? I want to help the world. I have what it takes to do so. My literary research has been fucking EXTENSIVE as all hell. On my own, in addition to what I've seen in school, I've studied management and business, psychology, history, electronics, philosophy, spirituality, photography, chemistry, physics, biochemistry, etc. While I'm probably not as smart as the movie character Will Hunting, I do find that sometimes the people who understand me best are long dead in a book somewhere.

What can I do? I need some capital funding to get going on an invention or something. I feel totally stuck in life with nowhere to go. While I don't feel lost, I feel like I'm out of gas.

"I can program in C and BASIC"...:laugh: , my 11 year old cousin can program in BASIC and C would be the least to expect from a future engineer. It is funny that you think that nobody understands you because I know at leasst 10 people like you with one huge difference : they do what you do and they also have fun.

Nonetheless, if you are good at what you do, you'll find a job with no problem. But if you are bored with life, you have to make changes. Your degree, your technical skill set, your brain or a nice job are worth nothing if you are miserable.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
dude seriously... STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER.

1) not to crap on your life or anything, but those skills are a dime a dozen. They are easy to learn, and lots of people know them.

2) Sitting at home learning stuff on paper is just about useless. Get your first real job and you'll find that you just wasted the last 4 years of your life while you should have been...

3) INTERACTING WITH OTHER PEOPLE

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
It sounds like you need additional aspects in your life to spend time on outside of academics and research. You say you want to invent things and help the world? Sure, there have been people in history who have accomplished such tasks practically by themselves, but not many. I suggest you spend more time being social and around people. Have fun. Talk to a lot of people and get to know them. Let them get to know you. Don't worry so much about whether you feel that they understand you right away. Such things come over large amounts of time.

Remember, learning how to communicate very well with a large variety of different people can potentially bring you farther along with your goal to do something big that will change the world much more than your academic prowess. Achieving great things is most often done by understanding how to get a large group of people to accomplish a common goal. It is the core of leadership. Without great communication and social skills, one cannot do this properly.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
I'm in the same state as you, OP. I'm 23 and life is just blah. Of course, once I finish animation school life will be sweet :D