This makes sense for the PS5 given Sony's past arrogance...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
That's 10TB total!!! :eek:

I know, and ive almost filled 2TB so far, but i did buy a ton of games when they were on sale for BF when i got my system, so ill be burning through the backlog well into next summer.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
With the cost of SSDs dropping, I think it would be an excellent idea to go back to cartridges. Harder to damage than a CD and more reliable than cloud streaming.

The medium clearly has no impact on cost considering a game download is still $60 at launch.
No, it clearly does have an impact on cost. All you have to do to see the proof is look at the price of older games that were cross-released on PS4/Xbox One and Nintendo Switch. In almost all cases, the PS4/Xbox version will be $10 or more less than the Switch version, and it is precisely because the cartridge's cost that much more to make (stamping a DVD/Bluray disc costs pennies, but a memory chip on a PCB in a plastic container costs several dollars).

Mar 11, 2004
No, it clearly does have an impact on cost. All you have to do to see the proof is look at the price of older games that were cross-released on PS4/Xbox One and Nintendo Switch. In almost all cases, the PS4/Xbox version will be $10 or more less than the Switch version, and it is precisely because the cartridge's cost that much more to make (stamping a DVD/Bluray disc costs pennies, but a memory chip on a PCB in a plastic container costs several dollars).

It doesn't impact the final price though. The reason why PS4/XB games sell for less is that consumers are more willing to pay a premium for them on Nintendo's system (even though they're often inferior versions). Even indie devs have remarked that they make substantially more money on their Switch versions. Has nothing to do with the physical format the disc is on as like he said if it did, then digital copies wouldn't cost the same as the physical ones despite them having much less cost to produce/distribute.

Mar 11, 2004
do they still repair ps 3s ? I broke mine ?. .

No idea on Sony (I think they just did end of life on the original Playstation not that long ago). It'll probably be expensive. Not sure if 3rd party places could do it. Might just be cheapest to buy one from someone else. I still see original model PS3s crop up for instance (for not ridiculous prices, think its usually around $100), and the Slims I think are even easier to come by.

I did see someone trying to sell a literally hackjob of installing some old PC stuff in a PS3 shell. I really don't know why they bothered. They wanted like $450 for it too, and I think it had old Phenom II era Athlon CPU (but had like a GTX1060 in it or something). And they really butchered the case and it was open. External power supply, don't think it had an optical drive.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
You're sorta wrong. The HDD backup will only work with the original PS4 the backup was made with. It allows you to restore to that particular piece of hardware only.

You can do a full backup and restore to a new console if you have to replace yours though.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Well, I guess I couldn't have been more wrong about this one. Seems this is the route Microsoft took and Sony doesn't even have the feature for adding additional internal storage enabled yet.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Well, I guess I couldn't have been more wrong about this one. Seems this is the route Microsoft took and Sony doesn't even have the feature for adding additional internal storage enabled yet.

Although, as someone who owns a 32GB Vita card (largest available outside of Japan) and the 1TB Series Expansion card, I can say that Microsoft's price for extra storage isn't nearly as egregious as Sony's were for the Vita.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Although, as someone who owns a 32GB Vita card (largest available outside of Japan) and the 1TB Series Expansion card, I can say that Microsoft's price for extra storage isn't nearly as egregious as Sony's were for the Vita.

As someone who imported a 64GB card, I can concur.