This kind of mind set worries me

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
That is assuming they are not already in the military in large numbers. Or are not younger vets with combat experience.
If people in the military try anything like that they will be killed or imprisoned for life. None of the generals or anyone else with enough power would even think of doing such a thing.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
If people in the military try anything like that they will be killed or imprisoned for life. None of the generals or anyone else with enough power would even think of doing such a thing.
How many of these folks who left the Service will become active once their leaders declare a war?

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I've been thinking about this for the past three years. I don't think the owners of this country will allow anything resembling a civil war where their assets gets looted, damaged or destroyed. They will call in the military who have been training in the desert for nearly 30 years for just such an event. Not only that the gun explosion in this country has caused the militarization of our police forces creating the very thing the gun nuts feared which is a government capable of tyranny.

Nov 17, 2019
That is assuming they are not already in the military in large numbers. Or are not younger vets with combat experience.

A son of Revolutionary War officer Henry "Light Horse Harry" Lee III, Lee was a top graduate of the United States Military Academy and an exceptional officer and military engineer in the United States Army for 32 years. During this time, he served throughout the United States, distinguished himself during the Mexican–American War, and served as Superintendent of the United States Military Academy. He was also the husband of Mary Anna Custis Lee, adopted great granddaughter of George Washington.
When Virginia's 1861 Richmond Convention declared secession from the Union, Lee chose to follow his home state, despite his desire for the country to remain intact and an offer of a senior Union command.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
There are enough them to keep the local Law Enforcement and FBI busy for a long time. They can still do some major damage.
Well -- it will make for better news to watch on TV than seeing that blond-mop piece-a-shit bloviating every morning.

Nov 17, 2019
The Oath Keepers was formed in 2009 by Yale Law School graduate and former U.S. Army paratrooper Stewart Rhodes in the direct aftermath of the election of the nation’s first black president. Today, it is one of the largest radical antigovernment organizations in the United States. By 2016, the group was claiming an improbable 30,000 members who were said to be mostly current and former military, law enforcement and emergency first responders.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Dwarfed by the number of people who are sincere in their defense of the Constitution.

Racist conspiracy theorists forfeit any ground to stand on when they back a Russian asset, and I'll wager many of them know it. Plus, you know, drones!

Last edited:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Whether it's deadbeat welfare queens like Cliven Bundy or french vanilla creamer deprived squatters like his sons, where ever white men are whining, the Oath Keepers are there.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Both sides! It's ridiculous. The American Left isn't very left at all. They're not steeped in gun culture, either. They do pussy hats instead. Go figure.

My statement stands. Far left and far right are equally scary, for obvious different reasons.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
The US far left is not scary at all. It barely exists, and it has very little traction among those who feel they have little to lose. A lone pissed-off individual might try to shoot some cops or a congressman, but there's nothing like the organised, if fractious, effort you see from the far-right.

The way I see it, in the foreseeable future the danger is of individual Oklahoma-bombing type terrorist acts, and lots of much smaller acts of violence against specific minorities. Overwhelmingly from the far-right.

I have no clue about the long-term. I don't think any country can claim it's necessarily immune, forever, from a descent into Syria-style chaos. But there would be a very long run-up to that situation, certainly involving some huge economic shock or two - it's not going to be triggered just by Trump being impeached or losing an election.

But I would say the existence of Trump, and the intensity of his support, is a pointer to how Americans can turn irrationally angry and ultra-polarised just like everyone else. I take it as a warning sign of where things could be going in the very long run. I still think economics is primary when it comes to large-scale disorder.

Reactions: Victorian Gray

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

‘Nothing Less Than a Civil War’: These White Voters on the Far Right See Doom Without Trump

In addition to all the other bullshit in the article, it's finished with this:

Bwahahaha! He has a sad, lonely Facebook Page created in August with 20 likes. That's it. 20 likes.

And it's filled with conspiratard bullshit from fake news sites and YouTube.

Oh, and he's an anti-vaxxer and flat earther because of course he is.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
But I would say the existence of Trump, and the intensity of his support, is a pointer to how Americans can turn irrationally angry and ultra-polarised just like everyone else. I take it as a warning sign of where things could be going in the very long run. I still think economics is primary when it comes to large-scale disorder.

Like 40+ years of trickle down?

It's the workers you need to worry about, the voters who've been hollowed out and left behind to eat dirt.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Like 40+ years of trickle down?

It's the workers you need to worry about, the voters who've been hollowed out and left behind to eat dirt.

Deleted this before because I wonder if I'm overthinking things and am not sure about it, but, on that topic, the UK election had me thinking...

This isn't the capitalism that Marx wrote about - it no longer produces its own antithesis, in the form of an organised working class with a strong sense of collective self-interest. So if people get seriously unhappy with things as they are, where are they going to go? Seems like it's up for grabs with any number of possible forces, many of them scary, especially if there are future economic shocks (which I'm betting there will be).

I don't think I agree with the studies and arguments that discount 'economic anxiety' and argue it's all about race. Not that it isn't about race as well, but I don't think it's as simple as that, the two are intertwinned.

There's more to economic factors than 'anxiety' or declining incomes. The economy affects how we are organised and how we see ourselves, what we consider important and who we identify with. Without a belief in economic progress to give life a sense of purpose, people fall back much more on ideas of cultural identity.