This jet is so stealthy, we need your help finding it!

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
F-35 apparently missing over South Carolina after pilot ejects and leaves it on autopilot (transponder not working!)

This should not happen. Something is seriously wrong here.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Don't even need an autopilot

(correction - apparently it did have an early type of autopilot)

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I wonder what was so urgent that the pilot had to eject over a populated area, but the plane continued flying!

Doesn't seem the problem was too urgent to me.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I wonder what was so urgent that the pilot had to eject over a populated area, but the plane continued flying!

Doesn't seem the problem was too urgent to me.
Maybe the problem would kill the pilot but not the plane, like depressurization or "oops, we forgot to refill the oxygen cylinders."

Reactions: Pohemi and Motostu

Motostu

Oct 5, 2020

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Maybe the problem would kill the pilot but not the plane, like depressurization or "oops, we forgot to refill the oxygen cylinders."

Under those conditions isn't the preferred method be to reduce altitude so the O2 isn't needed rather than dumping an airplane of this expense?

I'm asking as I'm not a flyboy, I'm a bubblehead.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I wonder if it went down in that big lake it was supposedly flying over? Not having an active tracker on such an expensive piece of hardware is egregious in my eyes.

Reactions: pcgeek11 and Pohemi

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I wonder if it went down in that big lake it was supposedly flying over? Not having an active tracker on such an expensive piece of hardware is egregious in my eyes.

Probably did crash in lake Marion or Moultrie.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Um, having a tracking device sort of defeats the whole stealthy thing.
Exactly. Like several normally sane posters here wanting a find me option. But not surprised congress critters are that saying it just because pwn the libs!!!

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002

The Marine Corps said Thursday that a feature on fighter jets intended to protect pilots in emergencies could explain how the F-35 managed to continue its travels. They said that while it was unclear why the jet kept flying, flight control software would have worked to keep it steady if there were no longer a pilot’s hands on the controls.

“If the jet is stable in level flight, the jet will attempt to stay there. If it was in an established climb or descent, the jet will maintain a 1G state in that climb or descent until commanded to do something else,” the Marine Corps said in a statement. “This is designed to save our pilots if they are incapacitated or lose situational awareness.”

Doesn't explain everything but does explain a little bit that it didn't crash in the vicinity of the ejection.

Reactions: Ken g6

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

The Marine Corps said Thursday that a feature on fighter jets intended to protect pilots in emergencies could explain how the F-35 managed to continue its travels. They said that while it was unclear why the jet kept flying, flight control software would have worked to keep it steady if there were no longer a pilot’s hands on the controls.

“If the jet is stable in level flight, the jet will attempt to stay there. If it was in an established climb or descent, the jet will maintain a 1G state in that climb or descent until commanded to do something else,” the Marine Corps said in a statement. “This is designed to save our pilots if they are incapacitated or lose situational awareness.”

Doesn't explain everything but does explain a little bit that it didn't crash in the vicinity of the ejection.
Yet there's no sensor to say, why bother, the pilot has ejected.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999

The next step ought to be to connect to a drone pilot if the plane continues having no pilot hands on the controls. Like a self-driving taxi that asks for a remote driver when it gets in trouble.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

Wonderful details, except for why the pilot ejected from what seemed to be a perfectly fine plane. Must have had the equivalent of a blue screen of death, and the plane was doing dangerous excursions in flight. Why else? Slam from ejection did a reset?

Reactions: Ken g6

ASK THE COMMUNITY