This is very cool!

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
stolen link from my friends website:
A guy from an Israeli university figured out a way to scan records (vinyl) with a flatbed scanner and convert the image data into audio. He explains the process with images & sketched diagrams, and includes a number of sample conversions to listen to.

check it out.

i did a search and i couldn't find if it was a repost.

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Neat!

Based on that premise, if you had a high enough resolution scanner, you could do that with CD's too...

Placer14

Platinum Member
Sep 17, 2001
For that to work with CD, the resolution would have to be REALLY high. But that's so awesome. Thanks Eaks.

MazerRackham

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2002
Whoa. Now that's pretty nifty ;) That guy better patent that if he wants to make any money off of it....

Zwingle

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001
Despite what you may think....this would not work with CD's as they are digital 0's and 1's or data that are read by a laser, while records were analog and the shapes, depths and grooves are what made the different sounds, notice he said he made a digital needle, basically he made a program that would read the same things as record needle does when placed on a record.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Zwingle
Despite what you may think....this would not work with CD's as they are digital 0's and 1's or data that are read by a laser, while records were analog and the shapes, depths and grooves are what made the different sounds, notice he said he made a digital needle, basically he made a program that would read the same things as record needle does when placed on a record.

it would work if you had a good enough scanner. those 0's and 1's are pits on the cd, you know. i don't think anyone has a scanner that good just lying around though. ;)

edit: oh yeah, this was on /. a few months ago. he's done some updates since then, though. he improved the soundquality a fair amount.

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Zwingle

Data is encoded to a CD in varying size pits, pressed or burned into the substrate. Basically dots and dashes.

You sir, are incorrect. :)

How Stuff Works - CD

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Patent the dang thing in a hurry. I can see about 10 uses of the top of my head. BIG bux potential here

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: TNTrulez
The samples weren't even radio quality. Useless.

I'm sure Edison's first light bulbs sucked too.

"Not even lantern quality. Useless".

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: TNTrulez
The samples weren't even radio quality. Useless.

dude, he did this with a crappy consumer scanner (not even big enough to scan the whole record at a time, let alone scan in fine detail), in his spare time, with no prior knowledge of even how records work. the fact that it works at all is incredible. he's also made big improvments over his first attempts. this could be very useful in the future for making more accurate digital masters from old recordings. it just needs some work and better hardware.