This is one of the mandatory security questions on my credit unions website

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I wish I had saved the screenshot but saw someone on another forum post one of those captcha things to select all the buses, and it was just a picture of the back of a bus. Like, it took up the entire squares. lmao.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
There are 3 others, but unlike every other site, it doesn't let you pick. This is the one I got when I just logged on.

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE MUSICAL INSTRUMENT?

LUTE
6-STRING GUITAR
DIDGERIDOO
BANJO
PIANO
BAGPIPE
12-STRING GUITAR
TROMBONE
ORGAN

DRUMS

I'm an idiot American so I had to Google because I was sure they mispelled Flute, which would be a terrible choice because nobody's favorite instrument is the flute.
There's some guitar looking thing from England that was popular in the 16th century. When I saw a pic, I've seen them in movies but I would have never know the shit was called a Lute. Yes I'm not cultured, I'm sure 99% of ATOTers will know Lute. Pretty sure the average person who has an account won't know either. And a Didgeridoo? I mean I know what the hell those are, but I don't think anyone picked that. I can't see any conversation ever starting with the phrase "you know, my favorite instrument gotta be a Didgeridoo." But I'll admit I'm far from a Didgeridoo, so maybe it's not just an instrument Aboriginal people use to play. Hipsters love to love weird shit so maybe this is a viable answer for people.

I think they used some AI program and let it choose the answers.
The lute is for posers, people who know where it's at are all about the oud. I think the cittern is gonna be big in a couple years though.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Cittern rocks. I was just thinking I've had security questions that were case sensitive. I gave it a couple tries answering my own question and said "Screw it. Send me an email".

Reactions: IronWing

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
I'm an idiot American so I had to Google because I was sure they mispelled Flute, which would be a terrible choice because nobody's favorite instrument is the flute.
I kind of like the flute when Jethro Tull is playing it.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
This is pretty much the most fucked up thing for any website I have ever seen. I think your credit union is a front for the mafia.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Got this right now when I logged in - this is the 4th question today will be the 4th time I checked the remember this computer box

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE TELEVISION SHOW?

DOWNTON ABBEY
MASH
THIS IS US
BREAKING BAD
FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS
SANFORD AND SON
LAW AND ORDER
I LOVE LUCY
TRUE BLOOD
MIAMI VICE

So, my favorite show's actually on this and what are the odd's of seeing Sanford & Son as a choice? LOL. I had to Google a few of these.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Got this right now when I logged in - this is the 4th question today will be the 4th time I checked the remember this computer box

DOWNTON ABBEY
MASH
THIS IS US
BREAKING BAD
FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS
SANFORD AND SON
LAW AND ORDER
I LOVE LUCY
TRUE BLOOD
MIAMI VICE

So, my favorite show's actually on this and what are the odd's of seeing Sanford & Son as a choice? LOL. I had to Google a few of these.

Hah, that's quite the selection. Sucks there's no Columbo, but there are some hits on there.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Isuzu Rodeo! Loved that car.

Also, Friday Night Lights is legit one of my fav tv shows.

Nov 17, 2019
I went to edit a scheduled interbank transfer a while ago. They shot out a list of these stupid questions. One asked about companies you'd ever been associated with. I scanned the list and didn't recognize any at first. I was about to hit 'None' and my eye caught a placed I'd worked for back in the 80s.

Where did they get that? It isn't on any documents that I know of.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
These 'security questions' seem like the worst of all worlds. On the one hand, it's entirely possible for a hacker to answer them, if they know something about you. On the other it's also entirely possible you won't be able to answer them yourself, if you forget things or your tastes change.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I had something to do at work years ago, and I had to get in touch with our cell provider and change something(can't remember exactly what). I retrieved the password from the browser, but then got a security question. I'm sitting there staring at it pissed off, I make a guess, and I'm in. First try! :^D It's all a joke.

edit:
added a word

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019
Note that these identity verification questions based on past public records are different the the 'my favorite is ... ' security questions.

I had a bank call me to authorize a transaction once ...(yes it was legitimate and I was expecting it). Guy started out with something about a student loan then started reading a list of lenders. I stopped him mid word and said 'none' because I knew I'd never had one. Same thing with one other question that I don't remember now. One other question I had to let him start reading options before I heard the right one.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

DOWNTON ABBEY
MASH
THIS IS US
BREAKING BAD
FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS
SANFORD AND SON
LAW AND ORDER
I LOVE LUCY
TRUE BLOOD
MIAMI VICE

I wanna know wth is going on with your credit union and who is just sitting in their living room having fun making all these ridiculous questions.

Sanford and Son is awesome though. ....I'd rather this question just have one possible answer to select and it's Sanford And Son.

Reactions: Tsinni Dave

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I HATE PAST PUBLIC RECORD QUESTIONS!!! Sorry for yelling. Encountered that a few times where it asked what phone number. I've had uh, a lot of cell phones with different numbers. I only remember some of them. Maybe 3 times I've gotten this question where it had a # that was mine but unfortunately it wasn't one of the ones I still remember so I was unable to get verified.

Reactions: highland145