ISUZU
NISSAN
VOLKSWAGEN
KIA
ASTON-MARTIN
GMC
FERRARI

HUMMER

These are the choices, there's no other option to add your own. So no Mazda, no Toyota, no Saburu but there's Aston-Martin & Ferrari. lol. Which has me thinking, I know there are people out there who's 1st car was a Ferrari or Aston Martin, but those seem to be really poor choices seeing how that's like .01% of people. And AM's an odd choice for high end shit. I mean I do see Ferraris on a sorta regular basis, I don't remember the last time I saw an Aston Martin. There's also a question about where you met your significant other, and it has 10 random states. They have a "remember this computer" option so you shouldn't get asked again, but I still get hit with a security question every 3rd or so log-in. I can't imagine how many calls they get from people who can't access their account becuse they can't remember the answer they put because the answer wasn't there.

Do any of you ATOTers fall into the category of Ferrari or Aston Martin?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
answers to security questions should be nonsense phrases (basically, just another password) instead of answers that someone with a little bit of social engineering can get.

Yeah what I usually do is make it a password and then add that to the notes section in my password manager. Overall I hate sites that require security questions, it's just a gimmick at best and makes it more annoying to login.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I guess Pontiac is sorta like Ferrari (There were some pretty badass Fiero's back in the day, and they were very flammable just like Ferrari).

However, the pontiac i had was a mediocre FWD automatic 90s era Grand Am. It had a V6. The 3.1 v6 it had made about the same power as the 2.4 or whatever size I4 base engine, but was less reliable and had worse gas mileage.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I guess Pontiac is sorta like Ferrari (There were some pretty badass Fiero's back in the day, and they were very flammable just like Ferrari).

However, the pontiac i had was a mediocre FWD automatic 90s era Grand Am. It had a V6. The 3.1 v6 it had made about the same power as the 2.4 or whatever size I4 base engine, but was less reliable and had worse gas mileage.

LOL I was in Jr High and one of my friend's dad had a Fiero, he loooooved that car. At 14 I didn't know shit so I thought it was pretty bad ass. Apparently, just about every single one made has rusted away into nothing. Turns out they were really bad, ass cars.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
LOL I was in Jr High and one of my friend's dad had a Fiero, he loooooved that car. At 14 I didn't know shit so I thought it was pretty bad ass. Apparently, just about every single one made has rusted away into nothing. Turns out they were really bad, ass cars.
One left me in South Bend for 2 weeks...transmission. It was a year old and the dealer couldn't find parts. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

I saw 2 Vantages in the last ~3 months in my area. Does that count?

...granted, it was likely the same one, even though one sighting was middle of DC and the other was closer to my place in MD...

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
answers to security questions should be nonsense phrases (basically, just another password) instead of answers that someone with a little bit of social engineering can get.

This is actually how I do it; mainly because a lot of the questions are spongy anyway and it's not like you'll ever remember them. )e.g. favorite movie or book--that is never permanent. For anyone).

I usually do something like:
What city were you born in?
A: Taco

Same with my passwords, which I purposefully can't remember.

I keep everything in a text file for copy-pasting purposes. This is fine 95% of the time because I don't log into anything mobile or away from a heavy desktop or my laptop (never leaves the house, really). This is a problem, however, when I'm away from home and need to deal with some weird bank issue that I get a text about, and I can't access my account over the phone because the CSR can't confirm the security questions that I don't know the answers to, lol.

I was on the phone with Vanguard a few years ago to deal with some transaction or something, and she asked me one of the questions. I was like.."You know, I honestly don't know what the answer is to this one, but I bet it's weird, no?" "Yeah..." she said, while chuckling.

Hey, it does what it's supposed to do! Keeps me out of my own accounts!

• Haha

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006

- I got smart for a while and started using the "nth word" of the passphrase as the answer (the N being a number that is relevant to me) until websites started getting smart about it and saying I couldn't use a word from the passphrase itself.

Maybe I'll start making the answer to passphrases just another random password, not a bad way to go about it.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The question is what was your 1st car.

PLYMOUTH
FORD
ISUZU
NISSAN
VOLKSWAGEN
KIA
ASTON-MARTIN
GMC
FERRARI

HUMMER

These are the choices, there's no other option to add your own. So no Mazda, no Toyota, no Saburu but there's Aston-Martin & Ferrari. lol. Which has me thinking, I know there are people out there who's 1st car was a Ferrari or Aston Martin, but those seem to be really poor choices seeing how that's like .01% of people. And AM's an odd choice for high end shit. I mean I do see Ferraris on a sorta regular basis, I don't remember the last time I saw an Aston Martin. There's also a question about where you met your significant other, and it has 10 random states. They have a "remember this computer" option so you shouldn't get asked again, but I still get hit with a security question every 3rd or so log-in. I can't imagine how many calls they get from people who can't access their account becuse they can't remember the answer they put because the answer wasn't there.

Mine is on the list. But that's a dumb idea, but you probably have alternative SQ's and not have to use that one.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
This is actually how I do it; mainly because a lot of the questions are spongy anyway and it's not like you'll ever remember them. )e.g. favorite movie or book--that is never permanent. For anyone).

I usually do something like:
What city were you born in?
A: Taco

Same with my passwords, which I purposefully can't remember.

I keep everything in a text file for copy-pasting purposes. This is fine 95% of the time because I don't log into anything mobile or away from a heavy desktop or my laptop (never leaves the house, really). This is a problem, however, when I'm away from home and need to deal with some weird bank issue that I get a text about, and I can't access my account over the phone because the CSR can't confirm the security questions that I don't know the answers to, lol.

I was on the phone with Vanguard a few years ago to deal with some transaction or something, and she asked me one of the questions. I was like.."You know, I honestly don't know what the answer is to this one, but I bet it's weird, no?" "Yeah..." she said, while chuckling.

Hey, it does what it's supposed to do! Keeps me out of my own accounts!
'taco' isn't nonsense though. a good one would be like a gfycat 'YellowTacoLicensePlate"

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

Seems like everyone had those Grand Ams in late 90s. I always thought they were ugly.

Reactions: lxskllr

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I really wish something like Passkey or smart badge took over. Passwords and security questions are ridiculous, especially on accounts that don't really matter.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Seems like everyone had those Grand Ams in late 90s. I always thought they were ugly.
I got mine used from my Aunt when she bought a new car in like 2000 or 2001. I was a college student and she sold it to me for the trade in price.

Nov 17, 2019
I've never seen a preset list of replies where you couldn't create your own. Usually there is a field to enter whatever you want.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Mine is on the list. But that's a dumb idea, but you probably have alternative SQ's and not have to use that one.

There are 3 others, but unlike every other site, it doesn't let you pick. This is the one I got when I just logged on.

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE MUSICAL INSTRUMENT?

LUTE
6-STRING GUITAR
DIDGERIDOO
BANJO
PIANO
BAGPIPE
12-STRING GUITAR
TROMBONE
ORGAN

DRUMS

I'm an idiot American so I had to Google because I was sure they mispelled Flute, which would be a terrible choice because nobody's favorite instrument is the flute.
There's some guitar looking thing from England that was popular in the 16th century. When I saw a pic, I've seen them in movies but I would have never know the shit was called a Lute. Yes I'm not cultured, I'm sure 99% of ATOTers will know Lute. Pretty sure the average person who has an account won't know either. And a Didgeridoo? I mean I know what the hell those are, but I don't think anyone picked that. I can't see any conversation ever starting with the phrase "you know, my favorite instrument gotta be a Didgeridoo." But I'll admit I'm far from a Didgeridoo, so maybe it's not just an instrument Aboriginal people use to play. Hipsters love to love weird shit so maybe this is a viable answer for people.

I think they used some AI program and let it choose the answers.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
There are 3 others, but unlike every other site, it doesn't let you pick. This is the one I got when I just logged on.

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE MUSICAL INSTRUMENT?

LUTE
6-STRING GUITAR
DIDGERIDOO
BANJO
PIANO
BAGPIPE
12-STRING GUITAR
TROMBONE
ORGAN

DRUMS

I'm an idiot American so I had to Google because I was sure they mispelled Flute, which would be a terrible choice because nobody's favorite instrument is the flute.
There's some guitar looking thing from England that was popular in the 16th century. When I saw a pic, I've seen them in movies but I would have never know the shit was called a Lute. Yes I'm not cultured, I'm sure 99% of ATOTers will know Lute. Pretty sure the average person who has an account won't know either. And a Didgeridoo? I mean I know what the hell those are, but I don't think anyone picked that. I can't see any conversation ever starting with the phrase "you know, my favorite instrument gotta be a Didgeridoo." But I'll admit I'm far from a Didgeridoo, so maybe it's not just an instrument Aboriginal people use to play. Hipsters love to love weird shit so maybe this is a viable answer for people.

I think they used some AI program and let it choose the answers.
That is criminal. I hate a lot of what I see online and in apps/software and frequently curse but it isn't the software I curse but the programmer responsible. Whoever dreamed up that security question (OR APPROVED IT) should be fired immediately.