This guy sits on the "House Committee on Science, Space and Technology".

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Science! It works.

Unless it conflicts with some interpretations of ancient mythology.

The Catholic church also doesn't dispute that evolution is natural law and the default behavior of the universe. They just believe that their god interfered with that natural law to create mankind.

Young-earth Christians are deluded fools who worship a very strange god that enjoys trolling them with fossils, radioactive decay, physics, astronomy, "microevolution" and a dionsaur-ridin' white Jesus.
Mhmm...bacteria that continually evolve right in front of us, adapting to counteract things we do to try to reduce suffering and premature death.

Last edited:

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
So the guy must believe that Satan and not Yahweh created the Universe then.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
58% of Republicans and 41% of Democrats agree with this guy so these kind of stories aren't going away in the near future.

Not exactly. Believing that God created humans in our present form less than 10,000 years ago isn't the same as denying the big bang or claiming that the earth is only 9,000 years old. It's not the same as claiming those theories come straight from the pit of Hell, either.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
yaye, another Christian bashing thread

128833440964696747.jpg

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
I don't give a fuck about democracy, someone like that, whether they were voted in or not, should be prohibited from serving in a representative government.

There's a lot to be said for an elite, enlightened ruling class.

That there is the exact mentality of those on Wall Street and their Bankster friends who look down on the rest of us as ants,

how are those elite, enlightened types working out for America?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
He is a physician who received his medical degree from the Medical College of Georgia (now Georgia Health Sciences University) and he calls himself a "scientist". Yet he proudly utters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eU4B86AL5Go

My mind is blown that someone with such a disdain for the scientific method and reason and facts can be amongst those who chart the course of scientific research at the U.S. government level. In science, data trumps ideology. Facts do not lie. They simply are. When the theoretical framework you use to interpret the natural world no longer fits the facts, you change it to use one that fits better. That is science. Facts do not appear when you start believing in them and reality does not disappear when you stop believing in it. If your world view does not agree with what is factual, your world view is not scientific.

I'm sure all those deer heads behind him would disapprove if they could. :rolleyes:

Holy shit! I am all for a person being able to believe whatever batshit crazy they so desire but how the fuck does he get put on the Committee on Science, Space and Technology? Even better, how the fuck is he still on it after making a statement like that? Is it that hard to kick someone off a committee because he obviously has absolutely no business being on it. It sounds like the only science and technology he wants to pursue is from reading the bible....

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
This guy isn't as bad as the people who think the earth is only 6000 years old.

Those people aren't on the freaking committee for Space, Science and Technology which somewhat shapes what the Feds provide funding for in those areas.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Interestingly enough the Big Bang theory long ago was given the stamp of approval by the Catholic church and one of the proponents and contributors to the Big bang theory itself was a Catholic priest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Lemaître

In fact the Big Bang theory itself was considered to be vindication by Catholic Church that the previously backed Steady State Theory which offered up a view supported by many atheist at the time that there was not "creation" event in the universe was indeed not true.

The theory of evolution is also accepted by the Catholic Church, at least a large portion of it. Granted not all Christians are Catholics but a metric fuckload of Catholics in the US aren't aware that their "beliefs", which are based on religious faith, do not coincide with the "beliefs" of their own church.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
Holy shit! I am all for a person being able to believe whatever batshit crazy they so desire but how the fuck does he get put on the Committee on Science, Space and Technology? Even better, how the fuck is he still on it after making a statement like that? Is it that hard to kick someone off a committee because he obviously has absolutely no business being on it. It sounds like the only science and technology he wants to pursue is from reading the bible....

Hopefully they have him just in charge of snacks and drinks for each meeting of the committee.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
yaye, another Christian bashing thread

Yeah, thats what I thought at first, but as a Catholic Christian myself, I suspect that this guy's theology is as shallow and backwards as his scientific views.

People like this representative are a problem as they give the rest of us Christians a bad name.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Those people aren't on the freaking committee for Space, Science and Technology which somewhat shapes what the Feds provide funding for in those areas.

This. If you don't understand or believe in the scientific method, you shouldn't be on that committee. Religion has nothing to do with it.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
This is essentially a Christian bashing thread, wheres the thread where we get to bash other religions

No, this is an 'willfull, batshit crazy ignorance' bashing thread. No wonder you're alarmed by it!

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
It's embarrassing that we're even having a conversation about evolution and climate change in this country anymore. We are perhaps the only major nation I'm aware of whose conservative party is this willfully ignorant on science.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
The theory that we live in a progressing environment sounds CRAZY. Believing that an invisible floating man that noone has ever seen created the entire universe for no reason other than so we can praise him makes MUCh more sense.

This is essentially a Christian bashing thread, wheres the thread where we get to bash other religions

Well.........you see..............we cant have those. Wouldnt want to hurt anyones feelings. Those muslims sure do like a good riot when we question their beliefs, its much safer to shit on christians all day because they have an open mind and a forgiving heart.

Franz316

Sep 12, 2000
What a moron he is, and what is scary is that enough like-minded people voted him in.

Seriously, how do you possibly reason with someone who firmly believes the world is 9000 years old? I don't think you can.

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
The Catholic church also doesn't dispute that evolution is natural law and the default behavior of the universe. They just believe that their god interfered with that natural law to create mankind.

If I remember what the Jesuits taught me, not to create mankind (that was considered a natural consequence of evolution), but to give man a soul, with the ability to know right from wrong, etc..., at some point. We were taught that "God created Man in his own image" was not about the physical but about the spiritual makeup of mankind.

Emos

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2000

This is ridiculous, how can anyone like that even be allowed on the Comittee? An evolution denier is bad enough, but embryology? What's his beef with that?

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
I would ask anyone to who thinks the earth is only 6000 years old to go look at the Grand Canyon. We can tell with pretty good accuracy how fast water can carve through rock. That is a hell of a lot longer than 6000 years.

They'll tell you it was the Flood.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
If I remember what the Jesuits taught me, not to create mankind (that was considered a natural consequence of evolution), but to give man a soul, with the ability to know right from wrong, etc..., at some point. We were taught that "God created Man in his own image" was not about the physical but about the spiritual makeup of mankind.

Thats about right, from what I remember.

<--also educated by Jesuits