This guy sits on the "House Committee on Science, Space and Technology".

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
This is what happens when you vote republican

Posted from Anandtech.com App for Android

Actually both sides have a substantial base that believes in 100% creationism. While the number is higher on Republicans side, something like 59% vs. 42%, that is still a substantian amount on both sides.

*Edit* - It's actually 58% vs. 41% (God created humans in present form within the last 10,000 years)
When asked if humans evolved, god guided progress, the numbers tighten up quite a bit 31% vs. 32%

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/05/americans-believe-in-creationism_n_1571127.html

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
yaye, another Christian bashing thread

Faux Christian extremist morons deserve to be bashed.

It's entirely possible to hold Christian faith while accepting science & evolution, because much of the bible is allegorical, based on the primitive understandings of semitic goat herders 3000 years ago. The Judeo-Christian creation story is just that, allegory, and deserves credibility on that basis alone.

Anybody who demands that it be taken quite literally demands that everybody dummy-down to the same level of understanding of 3000 years ago. Obviously, there are moral & ethical considerations wrt science, but this guy clearly isn't any more qualified to make them than my cat.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
yaye, another Christian bashing thread

I don't know about everyone else, but the OP seems to me to be bashing idiots. And this guy, from what I'm hearing as the video is playing, is one hell of an idiot. That he happens also to be a Christian is just a coincidence; if he were Muslim, or Jewish, or Hindu, he would be no less stupid.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I've been thinking about intelligent design. I learned that over 70% of all precipitation falls straight into the world's oceans. Even government designed water delivery systems are more efficient than that.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Faux Christian extremist morons deserve to be bashed.

It's entirely possible to hold Christian faith while accepting science & evolution, because much of the bible is allegorical, based on the primitive understandings of semitic goat herders 3000 years ago. The Judeo-Christian creation story is just that, allegory, and deserves credibility on that basis alone.

Anybody who demands that it be taken quite literally demands that everybody dummy-down to the same level of understanding of 3000 years ago. Obviously, there are moral & ethical considerations wrt science, but this guy clearly isn't any more qualified to make them than my cat.

Ugg, now I have to go and agree with Jhhnn. I am not an expert on the bible but from what I understand there isn't even a direct reference to the 6000 year age of the earth. They are just deducing it from different statements.

I would ask anyone to who thinks the earth is only 6000 years old to go look at the Grand Canyon. We can tell with pretty good accuracy how fast water can carve through rock. That is a hell of a lot longer than 6000 years.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
Ugg, now I have to go and agree with Jhhnn. I am not an expert on the bible but from what I understand there isn't even a direct reference to the 6000 year age of the earth. They are just deducing it from different statements.

I would ask anyone to who thinks the earth is only 6000 years old to go look at the Grand Canyon. We can tell with pretty good accuracy how fast water can carve through rock. That is a hell of a lot longer than 6000 years.

God put it there to test our faith.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
24883784.jpg

I know I've posted this before but it seemed appropriate again.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
I wish this were a joke... and I am horrified that people applauded this position.

And oh, right... this guy IS AN ELECTED CONGRESSMAN!

Story link: http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/...ess-saying-evolution-is-from-pit-of-hell?lite
Alan Boyle @NBCNews said:
U.S. Rep. Paul Broun's view that the theories of evolution and the big bang are "lies straight from the pit of Hell" is getting more exposure than he might have expected, thanks to a video that was made at a church-sponsored banquet in Georgia and distributed by a progressive political watchdog group.

The Georgia Republican is already well-known as an outspoken conservative Christian, due in part to his unsuccessful campaign to have 2010 declared "the Year of the Bible." But the latest comments have taken on an extra dab of controversy because Broun, a medical doctor, calls himself a scientist in the video and chairs the House Science Committee's panel on investigations and oversight.

The video clip, distributed by the Bridge Project, was taken from a longer version recorded on Sept. 27 during the 2012 Sportsman's Banquet at Liberty Baptist Church in Hartwell, Ga. Here's a transcript of the Bridge Project's snippet:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
"God's word is true. I've come to understand that. All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the big bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell. And it's lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior. You see, there are a lot of scientific data that I've found out as a scientist that actually show that this is really a young Earth. I don't believe that the earth's but about 9,000 years old. I believe it was created in six days as we know them. That's what the Bible says.

"And what I've come to learn is that it's the manufacturer's handbook, is what I call it. It teaches us how to run our lives individually, how to run our families, how to run our churches. But it teaches us how to run all of public policy and everything in society. And that's the reason as your congressman I hold the Holy Bible as being the major directions to me of how I vote in Washington, D.C., and I'll continue to do that."

Broun's comments were greeted with applause, and they probably reflect how a lot of his constituents feel about the same issues. He's assured of re-election in any case, due to the fact that he has no Democratic Party challenger in next month's election. But how will Broun's latest pronouncements play out on a national stage? Will they have any effect on the presidential campaign?

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rikEWuBrkHc

Please to discuss.

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
These type of idiots are the reason our country is going to hell. Sooooo many idiots in this country and in positions of power, it becomes obvious why we have so few good solutions when it comes to complicated problems. If you can't understand the basics about evolution or the big bang, how the hell do you expect them to come up with good logical conclusions when it comes to problems in this country.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
58% of Republicans and 41% of Democrats agree with this guy so these kind of stories aren't going away in the near future.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Interestingly enough the Big Bang theory long ago was given the stamp of approval by the Catholic church and one of the proponents and contributors to the Big bang theory itself was a Catholic priest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Lemaître

In fact the Big Bang theory itself was considered to be vindication by Catholic Church that the previously backed Steady State Theory which offered up a view supported by many atheist at the time that there was not "creation" event in the universe was indeed not true.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
The Catholic church also doesn't dispute that evolution is natural law and the default behavior of the universe. They just believe that their god interfered with that natural law to create mankind.

Young-earth Christians are deluded fools who worship a very strange god that enjoys trolling them with fossils, radioactive decay, physics, astronomy, "microevolution" and a dionsaur-ridin' white Jesus.

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
None of you, yep, not even your best scientists know what the Big Bang was about, sorry.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
The Catholic church also doesn't dispute that evolution is natural law and the default behavior of the universe. They just believe that their god interfered with that natural law to create mankind.

Young-earth Christians are deluded fools who worship a very strange god that enjoys trolling them with fossils, radioactive decay, physics, astronomy, "microevolution" and a dionsaur-ridin' white Jesus.

Catholic and Protestants both worship the same "god". Some Protestants just like to believe that Catholics are different in order to be able to push the religious view of "our way is the true way" by attempting to differentiation between what "god" they worship vs Catholics. In the end it just a matter of semantics between both groups.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Disgusting this man is in a position of power. He can't meet his end soon enough.