This guy sits on the "House Committee on Science, Space and Technology".

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
He is a physician who received his medical degree from the Medical College of Georgia (now Georgia Health Sciences University) and he calls himself a "scientist". Yet he proudly utters

"All that stuff I was taught about Evolution, and Embryology, and Big Bang Theory...all of that...is lies straight from the pit of hell. And its lies to try and keep me, and all the folks who are taught that, from understanding that they need a savior.

You see there are a lot of scientific data, that I've found out as a scientist, that actually show this is really a young Earth. I don't believe the Earth is but about 9,000 years old. I believe it was created in...6 days as we know them. That's what the Bible says."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eU4B86AL5Go

My mind is blown that someone with such a disdain for the scientific method and reason and facts can be amongst those who chart the course of scientific research at the U.S. government level. In science, data trumps ideology. Facts do not lie. They simply are. When the theoretical framework you use to interpret the natural world no longer fits the facts, you change it to use one that fits better. That is science. Facts do not appear when you start believing in them and reality does not disappear when you stop believing in it. If your world view does not agree with what is factual, your world view is not scientific.

"And that's the reason, as your congressman, I hold the Holy Bible as being the major directions to me, of how I vote in Washington, DC."

I'm sure all those deer heads behind him would disapprove if they could. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
What can you say.

creationism1.jpg

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
I understand the need for nonscientists to have input on such committees from an ethics (dare I say moral) point of view but to have someone overtly antiscience...

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
This is the guy that said Abortions are bad because they are given to women who aren't pregnant.

Oh wait...we aren't talkin about Akin?

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
I don't give a fuck about democracy, someone like that, whether they were voted in or not, should be prohibited from serving in a representative government.

There's a lot to be said for an elite, enlightened ruling class.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Guy sounds like he teaches at any of the christian colleges in the Florida panhandle.

I have a special kind of loathing for people who rely on certain principles to make a living, yet denounce and mock the same principles to make a name.

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
I understand the need for nonscientists to have input on such committees from an ethics (dare I say moral) point of view but to have someone overtly antiscience...

Well this is why I'm slightly crazy about keeping church and state separate. This guy is a classic example of someone who would probably have no problem with theocracy.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I don't give a fuck about democracy, someone like that, whether they were voted in or not, should be prohibited from serving in a representative government.

There's a lot to be said for an elite, enlightened ruling class.
Yeah - no, there really isn't. An elite, enlightened ruling class must inherently be self-selecting, since obviously no one not of the elite, enlightened ruling class would be qualified to pass judgment on them. Might want to ask some older black folks how that works out in real life. Or maybe some Cubans or North Koreans.

Separate but equal sucks. Separate and intentionally unequal is the gynormous black hole of suckage that sits in the center of the universe of all that which sucks.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
This is what happens when you vote republican

Posted from Anandtech.com App for Android