This forum is aging.. gaming getting old for you too?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
They could be a good escape from reality - but as we get older it feels like my responsibilities are to be in reality. I also feel like there has to be a social aspect to a game like BF4. Solo games makes me feel like I am wasting time I could be making money or bettering my career.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I'm 38 with a pregnant wife due in 4 weeks and a 2 year old. My gaming time is practically non existent anymore. At most I can usually do is casual games with my time because I'm lucky to have an hour to game. Most games I want to play require longer time sinks to enjoy fully. I've been trying to finish the recent release of DOOM, on map 11 now, but every map takes 2+ hours to complete if you grab all the secrets. So I'm lucky if I get one 2+ hour gaming session in a week for DOOM. At least with DOOM I don't really have to remember what the hell I was doing last or how my skills all work or some such bullshit that RPG based games would require of me. Which is why I have finished Fallout 4 yet either. I took so long getting back to it I don't have a clue where I left off and don't want to restart the game at the moment because I know I don't have the time at the current state in my life to devote to restarting it and beating it.

I will say that my friends that do have kids all 6+ play a ton though as they play with their kids. With the kids being more or less self sufficient, it allows them the ability to spend more time gaming. Right now I am not in such a place in my life.

My desire for good gaming hasn't waned, just I know I don't have the time to devote to fully enjoy most games.

So basically most of my gaming is hearthstone, sudoku, and the occasional level on DOOM.

Im 37 with no life of any kind.

Still not enthused with gaming. Probably gonna give up and use Linux next year.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I'm an old fart.

I actually had lots of fun playing old games- Diablo 2 was great. So even Diablo 1. It's sad no game so far could create the gothic ambience and despair feel like Diablo 1- soundtrack is absolutely amazing.

Crysis 2 & 3 were surprisingly fun too- now that my budget PC cold handle it. Crysis 3 still looks absolutely stunning.

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
The good news for those of you with young children is that there will be a huge backlog of great games to play at cheap prices once you get some time back. .

+1 I stopped gaming entirely when my son was born and didn't go back to it for over a decade. The wow factor was insane. I couldn't believe how much prettier and immersive the games had become.

Feb 25, 2011
I'm in my 40's, I can no longer handle playing FPS games anymore, I played FPS games for about 25 years but just can't stand it now probably due to the newer generation of gamers online- I do once in a while log into Planetside 2 and Fallout 4 is a decent offline FPS game. I'm also into hockey and football and occasionally soccer however the hockey franchise (EA NHL) has progressively gotten worse and so has FIFA but PES has improved. I'm also a hardcore racing gamer so I still play those and I also like MMO's however haven't played one in about 3-4 years now and the new ones doesn't even look remotely appealing to me.

I'm not into RTS or mobile games, yech.
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/online_gaming

Reactions: TeknoBug

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I'm 36 with young kids and still game. In saying that, I'm way more picky about games these days. I have way less tolerance for mediocre games. Games also aren't my go to leisure activity anymore (which they were in my teens and 20s). Now I'd rather read a good book or watch a good tv show, gaming is down the list a bit. I think part of the reason is that we've seen everything. Yeah they may have better graphics but i've played the same type of games for 20+ years now.

Am looking forward to Civ 6 though.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I know where you're coming from. Interest in the nitty gritty of RPGs and such wanes for many as we get older. As for your examples, I found Fallout 4 to be fun to explore but the base building turned me off. I didn't need to be notified every 10 minutes that my village was under attack or something like that. It was forced in when it didn't need to be. I wanted to get the story of the characters, the land, the history, the satirical humor. I never did have patience for base building.

Though I think once your child ages a bit and becomes interested in his or her own hobbies (gaming?) you will find a new passion for your hobbies as well with more free time.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
37 with a 12-month-old.

I still love gaming, it's just that I don't really spend much time doing it unless I have a big dedicated block of hours to get into something. That's pretty hard to come by now, but I still have no problem immersing myself in a good game if I have a couple of days free from distractions.

Last edited:

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
I'm an old fart too at mid-thirties and totally understand your feeling. I have played AAA games (Assassin's Creed series, Tom Clancy, Far Cry, Saints Row series, Shadow of Mordor, etc.) and move on to other stuff as soon as I finish them. Pretty short-term enjoyment/low replay value.

However, I have lately been playing Indie games which focus less on pretty graphics and more on challenging mechanism (FTL, This War of Mine, Child of Light). I play them daily (1-2 hours a day after work) and really, actually enjoy them. I'm planning to start on Sunless Sea and Dungeon of the Endless once I can shake myself off those first three. I don't care if they look old-school (FTL's music and sfx are as old school as StarCon2). The enjoyment really counts more.

Yea, I'm old... :p

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Nah, not getting old for me, although I happen to be a old person. Games are inching closer to bluray movie quality and I'd like to stick around and upgrade to see new gfx advances. Ok maybe it could take decades to achieve a bluray level of visuals in a game.

This is me too. 40+, love logging onto CS:GO and wipe the map with 14yo's and cyka blyat screaming russians.. Fun times :).
Ill never get old.

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
Sounds like you're getting disinterested in everything dude. Are you depressed or something?

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Rocket league makes me want to commit suicide sometimes. Could that mean something?

CalebRockeT

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2003
I feel that disinterest in gaming (as well as most other things) is just something that comes with growing older, as some have already said. Also, I feel like it's not uncommon to think about killing yourself, and the best way to go about doing so, at some point in the future. Seems perfectly normal.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Perfect. So when I miss that damn goal that I worked so hard for and those noobs get the rebound and score instead of me, its perfectly normal to imagine my head exploding? Because that seems like the appropriate thing to think about given the situation. They should call it "Rocket Rage".

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Lego Dimensions rekindled my gaming love. I know that doesn't help the PC gamers, but I'm turning 30 at the end of the month and have felt the same way about gaming for a while now too. I'll play new games for a few hours but rarely finish them anymore. This game is fairly easy (I die a lot but there's no death penalty) and casual which right now I guess is what I'm looking for.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
Perfect. So when I miss that damn goal that I worked so hard for and those noobs get the rebound and score instead of me, its perfectly normal to imagine my head exploding? Because that seems like the appropriate thing to think about given the situation. They should call it "Rocket Rage".
lol I remember first starting RL and beating the ass out of every player with the "pro" tag, was getting hattricks and MVP's.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I'm fifty-five and my only problem is finding time. Work seems to consume more and more of my life, for less and less reward. But I've found time for over 900 hours of Fallout 4 (and maybe a dozen hours of Counterstrike GO) since it came out.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
Zeze, what you need is a 65" OLED monitor and a Pascal SLI setup, I'm guessing by the time 1080ti inevitably launches, 4K/60Hz+ should be a thing. All three are happening in 2017.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I was just looking at some 60" 4K tvs today and thinking this might get me into gaming again. Sounds expensive, but then again, compared to many hobbies it really isn't.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
I was just looking at some 60" 4K tvs today and thinking this might get me into gaming again. Sounds expensive, but then again, compared to many hobbies it really isn't.

I caved, just couldn't wait any longer. 65" KS8000 on the way, Corsair Lapdog and a second 980ti are waiting for it.

The real 4K deal will arrrive with DP 1.4 OLED monitors. The image quality and minimal (if existent at all) motion blur of OLED combined with low latency and PC specific features such as Freesync that only dedicated monitors typically support.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
Can put in at least 25 hours of game time a week minimum if required. Nothing like AAA gaming and rum n coke (and not that spiced rum rubbish *cough*). Also easily dedicate entire days to watching tv shows if there is anything new out. Work, pffft.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
OP, real life does get in the way of gaming. I dropped out for about 15 years, but this grandmother is enjoying the heck out of games from RPG's to shooters. Myst got me into gaming and games like Witcher, Mass Effect, STALKER and many others have re-kindled my interest in gaming. I would say it depends on how involved with gaming you were when you first started to game.

The Wife

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Can put in at least 25 hours of game time a week minimum if required. Nothing like AAA gaming and rum n coke (and not that spiced rum rubbish *cough*). Also easily dedicate entire days to watching tv shows if there is anything new out. Work, pffft.

blasphemy! :)