This CIO position doesn't make any sense to me

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Sure but a CIO that reports to a CIO?

Yes, I’ve seen that too in very large companies.

And you gotta find the right jobs at the right University. Don't judge based on size but on how much of a research university they are. The more research generally the more funds for IT staff and cutting edge technologies. Bonus points if its a research U that also has a large endowment. Manager positions generally pay very well. Coding is hit and miss as is Web. Security, networking and sys admins are generally more miss than hit. If they do large scale on prem storage (multi-PB) the storage engineers are paid well. Also the current "In" field at the U gets a lot of staff funding. Right now that's 'The Cloud' and 'Interactive Learning'

This was a major research university with one of the top medical schools in the country. Even the manager admitted they weren’t going to find someone at the pay they were offering because the market was paying six figures for the position and the university’s benefits didn’t nearly make up for the gap.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
m44skpY.png
Holy shit, do you work for the same Uni I do?!

Nov 8, 2012
The COBOL guy -- perfect. :D

My University professor (when I graduated in 2010) will forever sweat that COBOL knowledgeable people will always easily make six-figure salary given how much shit is still written in it and how no one new is coming out with it.