Third Republican Debate

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
Candidates bitching about the "gotcha" question.

Can anyone define what is a "gotcha" question?

A "gotcha" question is a simple question that the candidate should know the answer to but doesn't.

So it's the interviewers fault for asking it.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
A "gotcha" question is a simple question that the candidate should know the answer to but doesn't.

So it's the interviewers fault for asking it.

So questions about a candidates own plans and policies is now a gotcha question?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
My thoughts on the overall debate format:

My only defense to the republican candidates, is often times their time allotted to respond was simply not enough. Most of the times they were told to stop talking after ~20 seconds, which barely started to introduce their point. The democrat debate was much more generous with time, and I thought that was better overall.

That said, in relation to my first point there was way too much rambling and talking over each other. Moderators need a feature to mute people's mics to get them to stfu if necessary - but thats under the idea that the moderators aren't retarded in general.

Have you considered the idea that moderators do a better job when they let the idiots show themselves to be idiots?

Or is it the moderators' job to try to make them look good?

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
Lol! So really it wasn't the questions that were bad it was the tone? Lol, these idiots are making even bigger fools of themselves. It's pretty telling that kasich is the only one not complaining.

An adept politician rolls with the punches and deals with them like a professional, like it's no big deal at all. A recent example is Hillary easily dealing with hostile House Republicans for eleven hours without breaking a sweat. In fact, Trey Gowdy did all of the sweating for her. Shitty politicians get blustery, lose their cool and blame the questioner for making them look bad, making their mess into an even bigger spectacle.

The RNC is right, the problem for the Republican party actually is the press but it's a problem Republicans have fought tooth and nail for. They have insisted that nobody in the media ask them tough questions or call them on their bullshit and lies. On top of that they have been pretty much living in the friendly conservative atmosphere of Fox News and have lied so often to their constituents (or would-be constituents) via Fox and speeches they have given that when someone outside of Fox News asks them a question, they are caught flat-footed for an answer that will work outside of the Fox News bubble. They look unprepared and incompetent because they are unprepared and incompetent.

One lie leads to another, which leads to another, which leads to another and when this goes on long enough and you get in to the lies so deep that you can't get out, you end up with the Republican party we have today.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
The moderators at the debate should have just asked, "I hate you, please respond." LOL

Got that gem from Chris Tucker. Very true!

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
The moderators at the debate should have just asked, "I hate you, please respond." LOL

We get it, you like repeating shit you've heard because you aren't capable of coming up with an original thought on your own. No need to keep reminding us.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014

The moderators should have asked: "You candidates are going to walk all over each other in this debate while telling us our questions are of the gotcha variety so why don't we save ourselves the hassle? Instead of a phony debate why don't you folks have at it for the next hour while we sit back and let America see what you really are all about?"

I would tune in for that disaster. With lots of popcorn.

The only questions the Republican candidates want to face are those with answers that blame Democrats for something. Ask the candidate a question about their economic policy and let them talk to their hearts content, that's all they wanted. But those pesky press critters just had to ask a followup question about how the numbers in that same economic policy don't add up and oh boy, now THAT"S a gotcha question! Poor Ben Carson couldn't handle it. Trump was stumped and couldn't answer how he was going to get Mexico to pay for his wall. And so on and so on... All they wanted to do was give speeches and not answer any followup.

They don't want a debate, they want an hour long commercial that's disguised to look like a debate to push their bullshit and bash the Democrats. They have completely forgotten that the debates are supposed to be about them, not the Democrats.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Despite republican accusations that the media is all liberal, moderators also gave Hillary a hard time (if anyone bothered to pay attention).
And this has always been the case with debates.
The media is not liberal nor right wing per se.
All the media tries to do is create headlines. Everyone is fair game. No one gets a pass.
The ole tabloid style of gotcha is the game.
They don't care about democrat or republican. Party is not the issue.
Regardless, be it Hillary or Trump, if the candidate up on stage can't stand the heat, don't run for office. Period!

Lets face it..... We are to blame too. All of us.
If the moderators asked only namby pamby boring questions about policy, the economy, and infrastructure, no one would tune in. The debates would not attract 24 million viewers.
We want a fight. A mud sling. A dirty one-on-one poop fest.
We don't need no stinkin namby pamby.
Would you turn in for namby pamby?

And besides...
The candidates all lie and they all are full of knee high BS when it comes down to it.
How would it matter what Ben Carson says about taxes or Huckabee says about education?
In the end we all know if they were elected, all they would want to do is impose their personal religious """QUIRKS""" onto the entire nation, and then feather their own nests by taking advantage of and corrupting the system.
I mean really.... We know how this works.

So, why not challenge Donald Trump's belief in God, or why Marco Rubio missed every vote in the senate while still pocketing his paycheck? Feathering his nest at the taxpayers expense.
Boxers or briefs?
That is really all we want to know. And that includes Carly.
So, Carly.... is it boxers or briefs girl?
Vibrators or synthetic rubber, Ted Cruz?
Dunkin, or crispy cream Mr Christie?
Nine, or twelve year old boys Mr Huckabee?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The RNC took over the debates after the disaster of 2012, blaming the librul media for the mess they were. Well, it's 2016 and the RNC is running the show so how's it going? Disastrously! Who is the RNC blaming for the fail? Once again, it's the librul media! It seems that no matter the disaster, it's always the librul media who causes it for them. They never fail, everyone else fails them! Nutpicking comments on winger sites, I'm seeing quite a few comments where people are also blaming the librul media for the overabundance of Republican candidates. It seems that the librul media somehow entices Republican candidates who don't stand a chance of winning to go ahead and run anyway, drawing support and money away from the "serious candidates". It's all a plot to weaken the Republican party! For some reason I thought they did it to pump up their political egos, bank accounts and speaking fees and all along it has been an evil librul media plot!

Being a conservative means you are never wrong about anything and if anything bad happens it's because some librul somewhere caused it to happen.

One last funny note about the last debate is that it seems that Christie and Paul were given green rooms that had toilets as the main 'fixtures' in them. Trump and Rubio got nice rooms, Fiorina got one with a hot tub. I think the toilet is a bit small for Christie to soak in. I could just see them walking along and assigning the green rooms...

"Paul can go in the first stall... Christie can have the handicapped stall to give him some breathing room... It's a good thing Larry Craig isn't running or we would have had to put him between Christie and Paul!" :biggrin:

I bet the librul media set that up too!
They weren't even happy with the Fox News debate moderation. Fox News, the keystone of the librul media.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
This is because it fits the poster's convoluted bull shit narrative. I mean just by watching the first two blow hards right away I'm taken aback by the sheer far-left stupidity. You have one blow hard talk about carbon dioxide. Which makes me want to take duct tape to his mouth and say, "There! Carbon dioxide problem solved." Then the other bat shit crazy far-left nut talks shit about the NRA. Sure pal, undermine the 2nd Amendment. Now Hitlery on the other hand, she's smart. Knows how to phrase things just right to look appealing. It's like the age old magicians secret: slight of hand. But she combines that with a well refined years worth of con artist experience. Obozo has this same exact trait. As indicative with the massive sheep turn out in '08. He became quit frankly a cult of personality. One perfect example was in Alaska a few months back. He renamed Mount McKinley to Denali saying look over here while I preach "Global warming/climate change BS in America's back yard.

These people are pros. Just like so many other cult of personalities before them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xxgRUyzgs0
What is the point of putting me on your ignore list if you're just going to read and respond to my posts anyway?

Feb 4, 2009
"What newspapers do you read?" is a gotcha question.

It is to a dummy. However CNBC did a poor job people on the left & right agree. I don't think this is a crazy response.
Sundays candidate representatives meeting about the debates should be interesting. I don't think they'll find any consensus but if the top 5 decide to go another route that changes things quite a bit. I also find it funny that Jeb!'s staff were the last to agree to a meeting since he seemed to consistently get the easiest questions and most respect. The other funny thing is they're all banding together kind of like a Union, especially since they went out of their way to state the RNC Committee is not invited and they turned away an offer for an RNC member to listen in on the meeting. Sound an similar to how workers organize.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
"What newspapers do you read?" is a gotcha question.

C98CMGK.gif

:biggrin:

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
It is to a dummy. However CNBC did a poor job people on the left & right agree. I don't think this is a crazy response.
Sundays candidate representatives meeting about the debates should be interesting. I don't think they'll find any consensus but if the top 5 decide to go another route that changes things quite a bit. I also find it funny that Jeb!'s staff were the last to agree to a meeting since he seemed to consistently get the easiest questions and most respect. The other funny thing is they're all banding together kind of like a Union, especially since they went out of their way to state the RNC Committee is not invited and they turned away an offer for an RNC member to listen in on the meeting. Sound an similar to how workers organize.

Ain't it the truth though? :thumbsup:

The very rich had also formed a union of their very own quite awhile ago, and they've been having regular meetings just like labor unions do to ensure their survival as THE ruling class.

So for them to fight against labor unions to further their own interests seems to be the epic apex of hypocrisy IMO.