Things are not looking good for THQ :(

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
http://gamasutra.com/view/news/180927/THQ_Is_this_the_beginning_of_the_end.php#.UJiYTcXA9Bp

We all knew they were having a rough time, but this makes it sound a lot worse than we have known.

I really hope they can turn it around, they are probably my fav publisher, I own nearly all of their games on Steam and they have some great IP's. Company of Heroes, Darksiders, Saint's Row, Warhammer 40k, and Metro.

Their next 3 big releases I am looking forward too as well, South Park Stick of Truth, Metro Last Light, and Company of Heroes 2.

Hope they get the investing they need and if they don't I prey that EA, Activison, and Ubisoft don't get a hold of their stuff.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
THQ publishes awesome games, yet make no money. It makes no sense to me.

Metro: Last Light will be an instant pre-order for me.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Yeah, Darksiders 2 only did like 1 million on the consoles (no clue on PC as most the sales were probably digital) but that is still pretty weak, especially for such an excellent game. It is probably my fav game of the year so far (though Dishonored would be my GOTY) and I will be really bummed if we don't see any more of them.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Hmm yea really been looking forward to the next Metro game. Maybe I'll even buy it on release day, for no more than $50. Haven't bought a new game in a while since they go to $20-30 within 2-3 months.

And maybe, just maybe, I'll even update or build a new PC for it. Seems like tech has just really slowed down, or is exclusively focused on mobile.

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Company of Heroes is my favorite RTS of all time. Especially with the Blitzkrieg mod.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Dawn of War 3
Company of Heroes 2
Homeworld 3

All instant pre-orders for me. Relic (now part of THQ) have been the Kings of the RTS genre since the late 90's and Homeworld 1. They're the only reason I still play RTS games.

THQ goes... the RTS genre is dead.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Saints Row 3 was a lot of fun, so I do hope they get to release 4.

And poor Obsidian (South Park), yet another publisher problem :(

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
Even the best game developers can go down due to bad management and/or poor game development practices. They've made a lot of money but they've also spent alot of money and if development is moving slower than expected delays can tear through cash.

The article cites not 1 but 3 games that aren't going well. This is the point where a lesser company would rush a product just to pay the bills. I hope THQ can get out of the rut.

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
i was waiting for another space marine game, as well as darksiders saga to continue. I would hate to see darksiders die without the rest of the games, even if they are bad...

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I love their games, company of heroes is my favorite RTS of all time. With COH2 around the corner I hope they will continue to put out the series...

supremor

Dec 2, 2010
THQ is my favorite publisher and I honestly hope they will pull through. I also own pretty much all their games and they have great IP. COH is my top rts of recent years and I eagerly await COH2. I'm also a huge 40k fan and own all the games and I'd hate for them to go under and have terrible companies like Ubisoft or EA devour their IP and burn it to the ground. :'(

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Will Darksiders be the same without Joe "Mad"? He left Volition less than a month ago to pursue other interests.

cl-scott

ASUS Support
Jul 5, 2012
While I preferred the original Dawn of War series to Dawn of War 2, I'm still very interested in Dawn of War 3. For all the talk about how difficult Black Library/Gamers Workshop is to work with, THQ managed to really put a lot of the WH40K lore to some impressive use.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
It's very unfortunate. THQ one of the few "good guy" publishers out there. It sad really. Darksiders 2 sold moderately well, but was still unable to turn a profit. It just goes to prove why publishers are so afraid to take risks these days. We as the hardcore gaming audience cry for innovation. Too bad the general public will continue to buy the same franchises year after year, putting companies like this out of business.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Another guy here who really likes the THQ catalog. CoH, DoW, Space Marine, Saints Row, Red Faction, and Metro. Companies like EA and Activision need to go down like this.

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
Damn it. Company of Heroes 2 was a game I promised myself that I get into soon as it came out. I never played an RTS online but I recognized how great COH 1 was from watching them play at Game Replays but I was too late to the party. Everyone looked very pro, a little intimidating compared to simple first person shooters that I like.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
THQ publishes awesome games, yet make no money. It makes no sense to me.

Metro: Last Light will be an instant pre-order for me.

Couple of possbilities: Bad management of funds, budget over-runs, and cancelled game releases. Plus, even some piracy.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Couple of possbilities: Bad management of funds, budget over-runs, and cancelled game releases. Plus, even some piracy.

Just read an article where the spent $100M on a child's tablet called UDraw. It flopped. $100M down the drain on a non-core product. That is bad management.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
THQ "putting all of its collective eggs into the South Park basket." Huh? A South Park game? Over Company of fucking Heroes 2? WAT

I pre-ordered CoH 2 and fully intend it to be fucking awesome.