They call it swatting,” says grieving Wichita mother after son killed by police

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I would like to see an independent Federal unit assembled that looks into police shootings and makes quick recommendations on whether there should be charges filed.

Aside from simply making recommendations, I'm not sure a federal agency could have authority if they aren't federal crimes. Nonetheless, I think there would be value in such a thing existing even to make recommendations.

Jul 9, 2009
Aside from simply making recommendations, I'm not sure a federal agency could have authority if they aren't federal crimes. Nonetheless, I think there would be value in such a thing existing even to make recommendations.
I think it would be the best way to keep it from being ridiculously politicized. Any state or municipality that didn't follow recommendations would sooner or later be in a world of hurt.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
And yet another dead account has been resurrected by basement dwellers paid in vodka... Zero to plonk in 3.25 seconds...

If you are refering to newrigel, surely a paid Russian would (a) be more focussed and coherent, and (b) have a much stronger grasp of English spelling, punctuation and grammar?
I don't know if there are or not. Doesn't change the fact that it would be a good idea.

I feel you are taking my question as rhetorical, when it was a literal question. You got me wondering where there is a moderate, practical response to this question. It seems highly polarised, between 'cops are heroes who can do no wrong' on one side, and on the other the two different strands of anti-cop anger (BLM or the kind of conservative who obsessively goes on about Ruby Ridge or Waco). Seems like things could be improved without taking an absolutist position. Or maybe I'm naive. Especially with the political climate as it is.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
War on Drugs on your question about police training. Hard to believe a govt went to literal war over plants and free consumption by individuals of those plants and that war turned the guns on its people.

But a strong anti-drug stance exists in many other countries, without giving rise to this 'respect my authority'/occupying army approach to policing. Indeed, the US seems (in places) to be becoming more liberal about drugs than are many other countries. Not convinced that's the whole story.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
What the !@#$?!

As they executed the raid, shards of glass flew out toward the Pratts’ six-year-old daughter and five-year-old niece sleeping nearby. The police confronted 28-year-old Robin Pratt as she came out of her bedroom to see what was wrong. She immediately dropped to her knees. She briefly raised her head, looked at Dep. Anthony Aston, and said, “Please don’t hurt my children.” Aston then fired a single bullet into Pratt’s neck. She bled out and died in front of her daughter.
I know, and it will happen again as long as a simple phone call or false witness report can summon a paramilitary assault team to your door. When all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Reactions: highland145

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
But a strong anti-drug stance exists in many other countries, without giving rise to this 'respect my authority'/occupying army approach to policing. Indeed, the US seems (in places) to be becoming more liberal about drugs than are many other countries. Not convinced that's the whole story.

The other countries that are as tough or tougher than us are usually the source of drugs. These countries are funded by us to carry out their attack on the source. The result is devastating to the local populations. Cartels run insurgencies, carry out public attacks, and kill people by the thousands.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
It's the 21st Century version of the Boy Who Cried Wolf. Karma then comes to ring at his door when the judge swats him and the problem is dealt with permanently.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I think they need to increase the penalty for swatting to murder and such, that really is what this was. Most charges for swatting are fairly low.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
A consequence of am armed populace, is that police have to be deathly afraid of every muscle twitch you make.
Is it going to be their last moment, or yours? They choose you.
That's the second amendment for ya.

Amazing. Blaming the 2A for this.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
It's the 21st Century version of the Boy Who Cried Wolf. Karma then comes to ring at his door when the judge swats him and the problem is dealt with permanently.

I dunno. That one asshole killed 4 people with his daddy's pickup and they let him walk.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Amazing. Blaming the 2A for this.
Huh. Funny that's how you interpret his post.

How was he to take it? "That's the second amendment for ya." Our environment is trigger happy, fueled by fear of guns.

The 2A is like filling a high rise with space heaters, and trying not to blame them for the building burning down. You have to recognize there are consequences and own up to them. Otherwise there will never be an honest conversation on gun violence in America. It's going to include having police shoot and kill anyone who moves even the slightest.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
How was he to take it? "That's the second amendment for ya." Our environment is trigger happy, fueled by fear of guns.

The 2A is like filling a high rise with space heaters, and trying not to blame them for the building burning down. You have to recognize there are consequences and own up to them. Otherwise there will never be an honest conversation on gun violence in America. It's going to include having police shoot and kill anyone who moves even the slightest.
The words aren't the problem. The way people act on those words is the problem. That's just my silly view that those who take action are responsible for consequences.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004

I may have this wrong, but if you are saying that so long as civilians are allowed to own guns we have to accept cops shooting anyone who moves even the slightest then I disagree with you. It's pretty common to see an armed civilian open carrying around here, and many more conceal carry without a second look.

99.9%+ of guns are never used in a crime or hurt anyone. Cops should be trained to not shoot until they actually see a weapon, or at least understand that if they shoot and there is no weapon it's their ass and career to potentially pay with.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I may have this wrong, but if you are saying that so long as civilians are allowed to own guns we have to accept cops shooting anyone who moves even the slightest then I disagree with you. It's pretty common to see an armed civilian open carrying around here, and many more conceal carry without a second look.

99.9%+ of guns are never used in a crime or hurt anyone. Cops should be trained to not shoot until they actually see a weapon, or at least understand that if they shoot and there is no weapon it's their ass and career to potentially pay with.

bet you dont see armed black people walking around.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
bet you dont see armed black people walking around.

Unfortunately, not very often, but I live in North Idaho and we have a very small black population here anyway. I don't think our cops would hassle anyone for carrying a gun, regardless of race, so long as they were doing it legally. It's not like a huge percentage of the population goes armed up here, maybe 1 in 25 if I had to guess. Many more keep guns in their vehicle so cops are used to dealing with it. Last time I got pulled over I told the cop I was wearing a pistol at 4 o'clock inside my waistband and she said that if I didn't touch it she wouldn't touch hers.

I was born and spent most of my life in the burbs north of Los Angeles, where the only folks of any race openly carrying guns there were cops. Then I lived in the northeast San Francisco Bay area for awhile. I miss the multiculturalism of California, especially the Mexican culture since I'm a little Mexican on my father's side of the family.

Or did you want me to say something along the lines of "Hell, NO! We'd shoot them darkies on the spot, gun or no gun!"

Last edited:

Dangerpig

Jan 19, 2018
Yeah but open carry is common here in Wichita. We're a constitutional carry State. You don't even have to have a CCW here to carry concealed but a lot of folks carry open, including black people. Wichita police haven't shot any of them. I know, I'm black. I don't open carry unless I'm in uniform which is a different sort of carry anyway but mostly it's concealed carry for me. Last time I was pulled over I told the officer I was carrying and where it was and he told me as long as I didn't do anything stupid with mine, he wouldn't do anything stupid with his. Wichita cops are pretty tame for the most part, this isn't a normal occurrence.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Is there anyone here with actual LEO training that can clarify what they are actually being told they are supposed to do in situations like this?