There's smug....and then there's SMUG - how not to get re-elected

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
The main thing I wanna know is if that guy is a veteran that has been in combat overseas up close and personal.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
That's a silly argument. They did not say muskets. Repeating firearms have existed for quite literally hundreds of years before the 2A was authored, and our forefathers that were well versed in military arms still chose the wording they did.

Exactly what repeating firearms were being produced hundreds of years before the Constitution was written?

Hint: None

Oh, I got it.....the Constitution is currently being written as I type. D'oh!

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I’m still waiting for the Covington Catholic shoe to drop here...

There’s gotta be a perfectly valid non-deplorable reason for trolling moms who lost children to gun violence, right? Or did Jussie Smollet photoshop those pearls into these photos???

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
So what? They were all black powder flintlocks.

So what about that though? If you have a gun that can shoot multiple rounds, and those rounds will kill you just as dead as today's guns, the effect is pretty well the same.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Exactly what repeating firearms were being produced hundreds of years before the Constitution was written?

Here is an example of a repeating firearm from 1597.

https://thornews.com/2014/03/27/the-worlds-oldest-existing-revolver-1597/

You are technically correct, this gun is only ~193 years prior to the 2A, so not technically "hundreds of years." That's the earliest I know of, but there are others that came to existence before the 2A was authored as well.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Here is an example of a repeating firearm from 1597.

https://thornews.com/2014/03/27/the-worlds-oldest-existing-revolver-1597/

You are technically correct, this gun is only ~193 years prior to the 2A, so not technically "hundreds of years." That's the earliest I know of, but there are others that came to existence before the 2A was authored as well.

And when was the first true repeating gun patented/produced in quantities beyond one-offs with manually rotated cylinders and having to load with powder/ball/cotton wadding? (Percussion firing cartridges weren't patented until the beginning of the 1800's.) From my recollection, it was 1860 by Henry.

That's what most people tend to associate with true repeating weapons. But you are correct. A very few hand actuated pistols did indeed exist, almost all one-offs.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

He is technically correct in an intentionally misleading way. Repeaters of the day were extremely rare, difficult to manufacture & extremely expensive. They were novelties of the rich. There was the Kalthoff, the Cookson & the Ferguson rifle along with a variety of multi-barreled affairs. They were all black powder flintlocks. The percussion cap wasn't even invented let alone self contained cartridges, smokeless powder or autoloader actions. The vast majority of guns used in the Civil War 80 years later were muzzle loaders.

Reactions: DarthKyrie