The Witcher 3

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
The Witcher 3 is even nicer to play with RTX on too. Now that I got frame generation working without crashing, it looks really good.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
The Witcher 3 is even nicer to play with RTX on too. Now that I got frame generation working without crashing, it looks really good.
RTX? DLSS 3? To play Witcher 3?

boo-randy-marsh.gif

Being serious; Linus' employees that were part of the challenge, either couldn't tell DLSS 3 was being used, or preferred it. Hence, this will be another feature where some love it, some hate it.

My own hot take is that needing to use it with expensive GPUs is hot garbage. FSR, XeSS, DLSS, and other implementations should be there for old cards to extend their useful lives. Which of course comes at the expense of some visual fidelity. That a $800 and higher card is being used with these technologies sucks. Makes me want to put on the tinfoil hat, as it seems like they are making these games run like ass, to force these features on users. Features that separate those cards from others, even within their own product stack.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
RTX? DLSS 3? To play Witcher 3?

boo-randy-marsh.gif

Being serious; Linus' employees that were part of the challenge, either couldn't tell DLSS 3 was being used, or preferred it. Hence, this will be another feature where some love it, some hate it.

My own hot take is that needing to use it with expensive GPUs is hot garbage. FSR, XeSS, DLSS, and other implementations should be there for old cards to extend their useful lives. Which of course comes at the expense of some visual fidelity. That a $800 and higher card is being used with these technologies sucks. Makes me want to put on the tinfoil hat, as it seems like they are making these games run like ass, to force these features on users. Features that separate those cards from others, even within their own product stack.
DLSS 3 is there to boost framerates and yea I agree that now games are just put together with the most expensive options so they can sell the latest cards which those technologies are locked into.

Without dlss3 it still looks the same with dlss to me. Without dlss I can get 60fps at 4k but it dips in busy areas it still is playable with all rtx options on if you have a 4090.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER
Jul 27, 2020
They are doing to game development what they did to application development with Dotnet and Java. Advanced programming languages that were supposed to make things easier to develop and fix the flaws of C++ application development but actually just resulted in applications running as slow as molasses. So while now we have more and more games coming out quicker than they used to be able to churn them out, the rapid development is leading to slower, unoptimized code that they then try to fix with "groundbreaking" features in graphics cards.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
@GodisanAtheist

I played with hairworks on. I figured since it was running flawlessly, even when I was playing on a setup with 4k max, why no use it?

-Maybe I'll give it a shot. I just remember having a helluva time with Hairworks on my 980Ti way back in the day at 1080p and figured with an AMD card now why bother, but maybe there is enough brute force there to activate it.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
DLSS 3 is there to boost framerates and yea I agree that now games are just put together with the most expensive options so they can sell the latest cards which those technologies are locked into.

Without dlss3 it still looks the same with dlss to me. Without dlss I can get 60fps at 4k but it dips in busy areas it still is playable with all rtx options on if you have a 4090.
I can easily tell the difference when DLSS is on with my display. I prefer native 4K over DLSS upscaling.

Reactions: CP5670

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Just beat Hearts of Stone. Just an incredible expansion with a great story, characters, villain, locations and all.

Ultimately I ended up siding with Gaunter O'Dimm and let him have Olgierd's soul. For one I wasn't about to find out what crossing G.O.D would entail, second as complex and interesting a character Olgierd was, he was also a huge piece of **** to his wife and generally kind of an AH. Ultimately, I chose to take nothing from G.O.D, as I didn't want Geralt to be in his debt in any way (although now that I think about it, G.O.D could easily construct a situation wherein Geralt required his assistance then show up to "save" him only to be repaid later).

Anyhow, started on Blood and Wine. Tousant is such a refreshing change from Velen. While I loved the dark rundown feel of Velen, Tousant feels visually fresh and kinda funky in the Witcher universe.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I'm basically posting in every Witcher-esq thread cause I need to talk about Blood and Wine.

I ended up with the tragic ending, where basically everyone dies. Detlaff died, cut down by Geralt and finished off by Regis. Anna wouldn't listen to me when I told her about her murderous psychopath sister and got stabbed by Syanna, who of course immediately caught a crossbow bolt to the throat. Regis then has to go out of sight out of mind which kinda sucks for him. What a bro.

I mean, initially, I was kinda bummed by this turn of events but after some thinking it kinda worked out (except for Regis, what a god damn bro).

Detlaff was nuts, attacking a city and killing innocents for whatever reason took him from tragic figure to monster. He needed to die. Syanna was just a straight up psychopath, using Detlaff and landing us in this mess in the first place. She needed to die. Anna was a dumbass that wouldnt hesitate to put the peasantry to death but was too weak to pass the same sentence against her clearly insane sister.

After some thinking, I am actually ok with this ending. All these nuts got what they ultimately deserved.

My biggest personal gripe is that the game doesn't end with a proper get together at Corvo Blanco. Dandelion, Zoltan, Ciri should all at a minimum show up, and maybe some other characters from the main game and Hearts of Stone depending on your choices.

It's the end of Geralt's journey, his swan song. Should feel more like a final cut rather than what we got, which is one random person shows up and says a few lines to you and... That's it. That's the culmination of 3 games and a 150 hour playthrough of Witcher 3.

I just wish it was a bit more, but it really says something that I care so much.

What a brilliant game and brilliant series. I look forward to the Witcher 1 remake as well as whatever new adventure we get in Witcher 4.

Last edited:

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
Odd because they said Witcher 3 would be the last game. Who said there would be Witcher 4?

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Odd because they said Witcher 3 would be the last game. Who said there would be Witcher 4?

-I'm fairly certain Witcher 3 is Geralt's last game, not the last entry in the Witcher franchise.

CDPR has announced both a W1 remake as well as a W4.