The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Page 90 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Forgive me if this has been answered, but I'm considering getting this and I'm curious if it's a good choice for me. I really tried to get into the Witcher 2 because of strong reviews, but I could never get into the combat system. Is the combat system in this more n00b-friendly (something more like Skyrim, which I loved, but recognized that it was far less hardcore as an RPG than something like the Witcher). Or am I just going to be turned off by the fact that I can't figure out how to kill anything and give up?

Also, I have an older machine, and while it beats minimum specs, I'm wondering if a GTX 680 is enough to really power this game with any eye candy whatsoever (I've heard that it doesn't run particularly well on Kepler GPUs)? I'll admit that I'm a bit of a graphics whore, but I'm willing to sacrifice max visuals when I know that isn't feasible. Still, I think if I'm limited to "Low" settings or substandard textures, I'd probably pass until I can afford a hardware upgrade.

I find the combat to be best of the series so far. It is more fluid, more active, and more forgiving than before. It is very physics based--you learn to dodge and position yourself, and it is very satisfying. The previous games, especially Witcher 2, took pre-battle prep very seriously, and foes were very punishing if you weren't properly prepared.

This one allows you to survive most any fight without proper oils and potions, but high level foes can still punish you if you let them hit you.

No longer any meditation--you can equip potions and change oils in the middle of fights, and use potions with hotkeys in an active manner. There are also more types of potions/decoctions with more interesting behaviors.

I find the alchemy and enhancement system far more interesting than before--I always completely ignored speccing into those in the earlier games.

You can even argue that this combat is a bit dumbed-down than previous games, but I find it more fun, more rewarding, and more suited to active play. It's not nearly as simple as Skyrim, but in some ways I think it's a fair comparison--swing sword and stab, but add in a nice dodge/parry mechanic.

Honestly--if you loved Skyrim, you should love this game. It's certainly my favorite game since Skyrim.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
What about the thing with switching swords for different enemy types? I had a hell of a time with that in Witcher 2, although that's partially because it wasn't explained very well. Is that still a thing?

Geralt will normally pull out the proper sword for the fight automatically, but it's relatively simple: steel sword for humans/beasts (regular wolves/bears), and silver sword for monsters. It's just two different buttons to switch swords.

There is an annoying bug that crops up sometimes, where he doesn't pull out his sword when he should--some fights are locked into fistfights, but others will allow you to choose, but he sometimes defaults to fists when it is easier to just stab things to death.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
I need to start using bombs. Probably make fights much easier. Played through Witcher 2 again a couple weeks before Witcher 3 released, and I spammed the crap out of bombs and traps. So far in W3, think I've thrown one bomb in 70 hours besides monster nests. Also need to try the xbow with upgraded bolts. Have only used the infinite ones so far, but they're little good other than halting monsters attacks.

This is assuming we get the patch some time soon. I've played about 4 hours of Gwent the last couple nights, and that's about it...

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I barely use bombs except for monster nests. Need to make better ones and use them more often. Now that I have the peller to get crafting ingredients from, I could probably make a few more bombs that I didn't have access to before. I've just been exploring until the patch although I'm close to level 12 and have two level 6 quests to do still.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
After sixty hours (the ingame counter glitched up too after a crash)

-> Don't forget about upgrading your horse. Through races or merchants. Got a saddle with 60 plus stamina and saddlebags that can carry around 140 pounds of loot. You'll find these in Skellige (I am 60hrs in and Level 21, silver sword does 1000+ DPS :awe:).

-> Potions/bombs/oils can be upgraded like armour. "Enhanced" swallow lasts longer and you can carry 4 say. Finding these is rather random.

-> If you play combat heavy and focus on bashing get the Bear armour, its around Skellige and Velen. Base level needs to be around 16/17, first upgrade is Level 21/22. Also make sure you add the red mutagen (and upgrade that mutagen like the bombs etc) to stack up damage. Invest into the Bear option for armour which will boost Vitality and one other stat. Stamina does regenerate slower.

-> Pick the skills you like and stick with them. That means investing into one tree at best with bits of another. Jack of all trades won't get you anywhere here. You can only have 12 active skills at once and 4 mutagens.

-> Everytime you play explore at least 10 question marks for loot and XP and gold. Haven't run into the XP bug, looks to me like quests which are grey you get nothing only green.

-> Every village collect all notices for ? points and contracts; each village usually only has one or two contracts max.

-> Don't ignore the secondary quests; they are as good if not moreso than the main quests.

So far I'd say the writing and plotting is second to none in any modern RPG I've played and that includes Mass Effect, the Elder Scrolls series and Fallout. Its approaching Planescape Torment level; even more impressive its grounded in real life (the themes not the fantasy). Shifting PhysX onto the CPU has also smoothed out the dips too.

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
I barely use bombs except for monster nests. Need to make better ones and use them more often. Now that I have the peller to get crafting ingredients from, I could probably make a few more bombs that I didn't have access to before. I've just been exploring until the patch although I'm close to level 12 and have two level 6 quests to do still.

Even the starter bombs do a lot of damage to things. They are especially useful for groups of enemies and can either just take care of them or greatly weaken them. I also tend to forget to use them, maybe should get the perk that slows time.

Mutagens, do they have a certain lifetime? Seems I've lost 2 that were in use and then randomly disappeared from my character screen.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Geralt will normally pull out the proper sword for the fight automatically, but it's relatively simple: steel sword for humans/beasts (regular wolves/bears), and silver sword for monsters. It's just two different buttons to switch swords.

There is an annoying bug that crops up sometimes, where he doesn't pull out his sword when he should--some fights are locked into fistfights, but others will allow you to choose, but he sometimes defaults to fists when it is easier to just stab things to death.

Pretty easy to figure out,red health bar mobs ie humans/wolves use steel sword,monsters all have silver health bar so use silver sword.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Even the starter bombs do a lot of damage to things. They are especially useful for groups of enemies and can either just take care of them or greatly weaken them. I also tend to forget to use them, maybe should get the perk that slows time.

Mutagens, do they have a certain lifetime? Seems I've lost 2 that were in use and then randomly disappeared from my character screen.

I use bombs on nests only,btw you can bomb same nests again and loot them again(wait a few days) after destroyed ,did this in Velen maybe a bug?..Got XP again for it.

Last edited:

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Have about 30 hours in with issues, but all of a sudden developed a case of the crashes. Has anyone started having this issue very recently?

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Wow velen has some content,im overwhelmed with the amount of stuff i can get upto(a good thing with this quality of content).I Played a few games of gwent got bored quickly so ill be passing on them in future.Anyways i can always tell how much im enjoying a game when game playing time sessions and real time seem so out of whack:p.Anyone have any news on the next patch?.As for crashes ive had 2 freezes that needed a hard reset,ive not crashed once in velen though.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Pretty easy to figure out,red health bar mobs ie humans/wolves use steel sword,monsters all have silver health bar so use silver sword.

Oh yeah, I already forgot about that. I just tend to respond to what Geralt says

"Damn, you're ugly" = silver sword.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
I had crashes until I stopped using Afterburner or its derivatives. May want to give that a shot if you use them to OC or check temps.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
-> If you play combat heavy and focus on bashing get the Bear armour, its around Skellige and Velen. Base level needs to be around 16/17, first upgrade is Level 21/22. Also make sure you add the red mutagen (and upgrade that mutagen like the bombs etc) to stack up damage. Invest into the Bear option for armour which will boost Vitality and one other stat. Stamina does regenerate slower.

The bear school gear is for people who use an adrenaline gain build. There are abilities that allow you to substitute adrenaline for stamina to cast signs or even to regen some vitality. I didn't want that type of build and focused more on combat damage and needed stamina so cat school gear was better for me for its additional damage on each piece and 25% attack bonus per light armor piece ability. The griffen school gear is best for people who focus on signs.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
The bear school gear is for people who use an adrenaline gain build. There are abilities that allow you to substitute adrenaline for stamina to cast signs or even to regen some vitality. I didn't want that type of build and focused more on combat damage and needed stamina so cat school gear was better for me for its additional damage on each piece and 25% attack bonus per light armor piece ability. The griffen school gear is best for people who focus on signs.

I prefer Cat school/ light armour build as well,great thing about this game is you can really fine tune the different builds to your individual needs.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Damn, I planned to play this non stop, he'll even take a few days off work lol. Real life, wife, and kids put a stop to that. I have about 10 hours in and I'm still in the starting area, still haven't asked the Nilfgardiens about Yen lol. I'm level 3. Last night I finished all the question marks and have talked to everyone, so I'll be moving on. Game is smooth too, single 290 at 1050/1500, at 1080p, everything on (except blur/vignette) with HairWorks AMD tess hack.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Damn, I planned to play this non stop, he'll even take a few days off work lol. Real life, wife, and kids put a stop to that. I have about 10 hours in and I'm still in the starting area, still haven't asked the Nilfgardiens about Yen lol. I'm level 3. Last night I finished all the question marks and have talked to everyone, so I'll be moving on. Game is smooth too, single 290 at 1050/1500, at 1080p, everything on (except blur/vignette) with HairWorks AMD tess hack.

FFs lvl3 ffs man yous sir are not playing enough!i kid.i see your point though rl is tricky:p

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
It's true though, and I make sure to rub my unhappiness in my wife's face any chance I get.

"How could you!? My body has been ready for this game for years! Do you even love me anymore??"

That usually gets me a couple hours of free time :D

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
It's true though, and I make sure to rub my unhappiness in my wife's face any chance I get.

"How could you!? My body has been ready for this game for years! Do you even love me anymore??"

Hhaha

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004

I do the same thing to my GF :biggrin:, sometimes it gets me out of dishes :awe:

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013

At that rate you won't be finished by Christmas. :eek:

60hrs in and main story wise I doubt I'm even close to 50%.

Pwndenburg

Mar 2, 2012
I'm unemployed right now and in the middle of obtaining the CPA designation. that affords me more time than a &quot;grown up&quot; should have. Having said that, I've beaten the game. Kinda sad I know :). Anyway, let me give you some advice. This game focuses entirely on quests as the means of giving xp. You may get 4 xp or so for killing a mob 9 levels higher than you. I went after contracts at way to low a level thinking I would be ahead of the curve. In fact I ended the game 4 levels lower than the reviewers that &quot;rushed&quot; the game. So, just do the secondary stuff and witcher contracts as you are around the correct level. the secondary and main story line quests are your primary means of getting xp. As far as the most powerful build, it is without question a light armour plus crit damage build. I didn't even manage to find all the pieces of ANY school gear and was using a yellow sword with plus 10 crit chance. I had 30% crit chance on light and 35% crit damage on heavy. Take the cat school techniques out of the neutral stuff. Also, I've tried various builds and have found signs far inferior to putting 7 skills of combat, not bothering with the special hits, and the remainder in alchemy. Don't ignore bombs, take two points of time dilation and put all 3 points into the skill that gives you another point of tolerance per recipe known for each respective alchemy formula level. In this way I had a max toxicity of 272 at the end of the game. On the second row of alchemy, you'll find two skills that are in my opinion vital. The first, with 5 points gives you 25% health instantly when you drink any potion! The second gives you 1000 extra vitality when you are under the effects of any decoction. With significant points in alchemy these decoctions can last nearly an hour. Also, there is a decoction that gives you even greater critcal chance. You can use that one and the troll decoction to give you constant life regen in and out of combat. Even with my ragtag gear I could crit for over 2100 with a basic heavy strike. With the proper searching for witcher school gear I've heard reports of hits for over 6k. The downside of my build? The game becomes a freakin cake walk. Also, the skills in combat tree that raise crit chance also raise crit damage by a significant sum. Also, that 1 point in cat school techniques will give you 100% more crit damage and 25% more basic damage on light attacks with 4 pieces of light armour. Forgot one last tip. On monsters always dodge sideways. In most cases this will allow you to counter with at least a heavy strike and with some mobs a light then a heavy. For humans, you'll have the anti arrow parry skill to not have to chase down the annoying archers and for the rest I would strongly recommend parry and counter strike. In most cases you'll one shot a human.

Last edited:

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
I'm unemployed right now and in the middle of obtaining the CPA designation. that affords me more time than a &quot;grown up&quot; should have. Having said that, I've beaten the game. Kinda sad I know :). Anyway, let me give you some advice. This game focuses entirely on quests as the means of giving xp. You may get 4 xp or so for killing a mob 9 levels higher than you. I went after contracts at way to low a level thinking I would be ahead of the curve. In fact I ended the game 4 levels lower than the reviewers that &quot;rushed&quot; the game. So, just do the secondary stuff and witcher contracts as you are around the correct level. the secondary and main story line quests are your primary means of getting xp. As far as the most powerful build, it is without question a light armour plus crit damage build. I didn't even manage to find all the pieces of ANY school gear and was using a yellow sword with plus 10 crit chance. I had 30% crit chance on light and 35% crit damage on heavy. Take the cat school techniques out of the neutral stuff. Also, I've tried various builds and have found signs far inferior to putting 7 skills of combat, not bothering with the special hits, and the remainder in alchemy. Don't ignore bombs, take two points of time dilation and put all 3 points into the skill that gives you another point of tolerance per recipe known for each respective alchemy formula level. In this way I had a max toxicity of 272 at the end of the game. On the second row of alchemy, you'll find two skills that are in my opinion vital. The first, with 5 points gives you 25% health instantly when you drink any potion! The second gives you 1000 extra vitality when you are under the effects of any decoction. With significant points in alchemy these decoctions can last nearly an hour. Also, there is a decoction that gives you even greater critcal chance. You can use that one and the troll decoction to give you constant life regen in and out of combat. Even with my ragtag gear I could crit for over 2100 with a basic heavy strike. With the proper searching for witcher school gear I've heard reports of hits for over 6k. The downside of my build? The game becomes a freakin cake walk. Also, the skills in combat tree that raise crit chance also raise crit damage by a significant sum. Also, that 1 point in cat school techniques will give you 100% more crit damage and 25% more basic damage on light attacks with 4 pieces of light armour.

Beaten but explored? I'm only going through Skellige on Level 21, the exploration is just as important as the main quest.

Pwndenburg

Mar 2, 2012
I'm going to go through it again. I did my fair share of exploration. ended the game with 117 hours played. the point I was trying to make is to explore in the right way. I'll give an easy example. Remember the quest when you have to find the location of the bodies of the nilfgard soldiers that were killed by the griffin. If you go about it the way the game 'tells' you to, you will receive 300 extra xp for killing the dogs. If you stumble upon the place where the soldiers died.... you are out 300 xp as you cannot do the quest. That is all I was implying while trying to encourage others not to miss out on some of the things I did by going about it the wrong way.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
On dodging, remember that some enemies have AOE attacks so you need to roll, not just dodge.