The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Page 50 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Ouch. I hope there is a good improvement with NV drivers, an SLI driver day 1, and the game scales very well with SLI. Game better look damn incredible for that kind of performance demand.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Developers are screwed either way. Star Citizen tried going down the pure PC graphics path, with PBR, high poly and DP counts, and tons of PC guys complained that the system requirements were going to be too high, and that they were focusing way too much on graphics (really...there are bunches of posts on the RSI forum complaining about needing to upgrade).

You just can't please everybody - - but I think you can avoid a lot of backlash if you don't create graphics-based hype in the first place.

All very true. Still many developers post trailers that say "in-engine footage" and 5 minutes later threads blow up with people thinking that's how the game will look. In engine doesn't mean in game, especially if there isn't a game yet and just a bunch of tech demo stuff.

Ouch. I hope there is a good improvement with NV drivers, an SLI driver day 1, and the game scales very well with SLI. Game better look damn incredible for that kind of performance demand.

There is already a driver from Nvidia for this game with an SLI profile. Released today.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
This is making this R290X for 280$ on newegg look really tempting right now...

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Developers are screwed either way. Star Citizen tried going down the pure PC graphics path, with PBR, high poly and DP counts, and tons of PC guys complained that the system requirements were going to be too high, and that they were focusing way too much on graphics (really...there are bunches of posts on the RSI forum complaining about needing to upgrade).

You just can't please everybody - - but I think you can avoid a lot of backlash if you don't create graphics-based hype in the first place.

Well, I don't think CDPR ever hyped up the graphics, outside of the world being interactive beyond what normally has occurred in open world games and a very large world to explore.

The issue is people saw what amounts to a proof of concept in a game world likely 1/20th the scale of the final world and thought it would always look like that. The people crying about the graphics have an unrealistic expectation for what a game should have and where resources should be spent when making said game.

Some of us actually enjoy playing the game rather than looking at benchmarks and staring at grass polygons for hours. So, for those people, CDPR spending more time making meaningful content and not worrying about constantly tweaking ultra high res foliage and brick work is a great trade off.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
All very true. Still many developers post trailers that say "in-engine footage" and 5 minutes later threads blow up with people thinking that's how the game will look. In engine doesn't mean in game, especially if there isn't a game yet and just a bunch of tech demo stuff.

There is already a driver from Nvidia for this game with an SLI profile. Released today.

The thing is CDPR said "Gameplay footage" not that it was an engine tech demo. People outside of CDPR played the game and were able to then report on that gameplay experience.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
*Snorts*. $1600 for an X and pretty fur nope. I think I may go AMD next round. I wonder what other benches will show. Kepler isn't even that old, specially my 780 Ti at 1080p. Will post performance info in a few hours post install.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Hopefully someone with a card similar to mine can chime in on how it runs. I don't need every setting turned up just wondering on performance for med/high setting.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
"Installation Failed" using the Galaxy app...but installing the patch from the downloaded GOG files works.

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
The thing is CDPR said "Gameplay footage" not that it was an engine tech demo. People outside of CDPR played the game and were able to then report on that gameplay experience.

It could have been real time gameplay but not the full game.

I didn't buy digital so I'll have to wait for tomorrow to try it. First thing I'm gonna do is put everything to ultra at 1080p and keep fraps open for a bit and see how it does.

Last edited:

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
witcher3_2015_05_18_19_25_37_486.png

witcher3_2015_05_18_19_28_51_480.png

This is on my rig, everything turned up/on etc. Looks decent, biggest weakness that I notice that I saw comparing gameplay videos over time is that the view distances and related detail are really bad now. Otherwise nice looking game.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
still not going to be done loading by the time this comment shows up

Last edited:

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Anybody get it on GOG? It keeps trying to download the 1.01 patch but fails at the installation, and then just tries to redownload. Is there any official place where I can get the 1.01 patch?

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
I loaded it through Gog galaxy and it patched fine, time to see how my 780 handles it.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I just played an hour, seems good so far. Runs well on my 290x with basically everything ultra (no hairworks)

Gotta say the visuals are kinda mixed.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Went to my local gamestop and grabbed the game. I paid $6.50 cash for the game once my deposit and credits were tallied. Also got the limited edition guide with the lore book(I am kind of a sucker for that stuff). Still have a couple final fantasy and legend of Zelda limited edition guides with art books etc