The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Page 139 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
It's hard to imagine a Witcher game without Geralt being the lead, but considering the entire aspect of the Witchers themselves, we could have any number of great Witcher titles out there in the future.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
It's hard to imagine a Witcher game without Geralt being the lead, but considering the entire aspect of the Witchers themselves, we could have any number of great Witcher titles out there in the future.

A prequel would be awesome. Imagine a young Vesemir as the PC, getting to see Kaer Morhen before its fall, etc.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

if the canon ending is that ciri is now a witcher, then that lets you continue the whole series :)

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
Playing Blood & Wine... Where did my quest for Bear set diagram disappear is this a bug?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
if the canon ending is that ciri is now a witcher, then that lets you continue the whole series :)

I would dig a Witcher game with Ciri as the main PC...but you'd have to underpower her to make it playable.

Isn't there a console command to play as her in Witcher 3, anyway?

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
nothing in development and nothing planned :(

Well I mean, they've just released three Witcher games in 8 years. Two of them critically acclaimed, and TW3 being so huge that with expansions it easily has the content of 4-6 normal RPG's. I'm fine with them taking a break instead of running the franchise into the ground trying to milk money out of it.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Well I mean, they've just released three Witcher games in 8 years. Two of them critically acclaimed, and TW3 being so huge that with expansions it easily has the content of 4-6 normal RPG's. I'm fine with them taking a break instead of running the franchise into the ground trying to milk money out of it.

I will adopt this line of thinking and be pleasantly surprised when something new tips up.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I would dig a Witcher game with Ciri as the main PC...but you'd have to underpower her to make it playable.

Isn't there a console command to play as her in Witcher 3, anyway?

No thanks!...I would hate the main character to be Ciri, personally they should start fresh ie a brand new character ie new Witcher on his very first adventures from a different Witcher guild ie Bear, Viper for example or something like that.

It opens a lot of possibilities and whole new storyline adventures, new girlfriend etc...

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

Yeah exactly. Their next game is steampunk based and sounds interesting.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
Just started playing the game, it looks amazing at 4K. Witcher 2 was among my favorite RPG's, CD Projekt Red is crushing it. Bethesda should just license the Witcher 3 engine for Elder Scrolls 6 already and be done with it. :)

I'm trying to understand the weapon/armor durability in this game... I'm on the second highest difficulty, am I right in assuming that if my weapon is at 35% durability that it's literally doing only 35% of the damage stated?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Just started playing the game, it looks amazing at 4K. Witcher 2 was among my favorite RPG's, CD Projekt Red is crushing it. Bethesda should just license the Witcher 3 engine for Elder Scrolls 6 already and be done with it. :)

I'm trying to understand the weapon/armor durability in this game... I'm on the second highest difficulty, am I right in assuming that if my weapon is at 35% durability that it's literally doing only 35% of the damage stated?
Durability I think just affects how much damage it can do compared to its full effective rate. Sometimes I've noticed it will do less. Even at times when it was at full repair it still didn't do the same rate of damage. As you level up and find more powerful weapons this damage will increase.

Then again I've gone up against harder enemies so maybe that's why it did less damage. Took me a while to find the areas where I should be fighting in. I bet it will take me a while to get used to that again when I started the game back up.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

I just pay attention to how much damage is lost or protection is lost on the armor or sword. It will show you both the durability then the actual -rating in red. For swords, I think you only start to lose damage at 78-80%. Armor is about the same. Swords drop off much quicker (you use it more, obviously, and once you start learning how to dodge and roll you won't get hit so much--also Quen).

You're going to want to craft hour hanging man, spectre and necrophage oils as soon as you can because those tend to be the most useful. Elementa and Ogre are great too because the Golems, Elemnetals and Trolls (you only have to fight a few of these--I find it best to leave most of them alive when you have the choice) are tanks and every bit of damage increase helps.

I don't think I have used a single master repair kit throughout New Game+ on Death March, and I only use whatever repair kits I find. I haven't crafted one yet....but you do need them. They had tons of weight to your pack so try and only keep maybe 5-10 journeyman or amateur kits with you.

The first couple of contracts are really difficult when have few skills and oils or potions, but you'll probably find yourself wanting to bump up the difficulty soon.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
No thanks!...I would hate the main character to be Ciri, personally they should start fresh ie a brand new character ie new Witcher on his very first adventures from a different Witcher guild ie Bear, Viper for example or something like that.

It opens a lot of possibilities and whole new storyline adventures, new girlfriend etc...

It seems strange, but I think it would be interesting to play a female protagonist in the Witcher world. I find them more interesting than the cliche'd male sword swinging dudes in all of these games--even though I think Geralt has always been pretty awesome to run around with.

But I don't really care either way. I'm with you and would like something very different in terms of story and personality, but if they do put out another Witcher game a very much doubt you won't be seeing Geralt/Triss/Dandelion/Zoltan in some form as regular NPCs.

Rather than the Butcher of Blaviken, Ciri would be known as the Whore of Vizima. ...though I'd rather her not be as much of a whore as Geralt is--too easy. :D

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
Ah, I see the red number now that indicates how much damage I'm losing as a result of the weapon durability rating. Thanks.

I guess there's a level restriction in the game as well? I fought a lvl 20 Leshen in Velen last night while I was level 5 and noticed my witcher blade was doing almost zero damage. It would have taken hours to kill it at that rate. I then got to level 6 and fought him again, this time killing it with relative ease in about a solid 5 minute battle. So I assume anything 15 levels or more above you is essentially unkillable (in a reasonable time)?

Oh, and dodging seems broken... trivializing most fights when combined with Quen. But I suppose it's an RPG and you will be fighting many, many battles so they can't all be difficult. And having said all that, I have still died more than a few times already but dodging still seems a little overly useful... I rarely ever counter/riposte mailny because the dodge just seems to always work.

Last edited:

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
Oh, and dodging seems broken... trivializing most fights when combined with Quen. But I suppose it's an RPG and you will be fighting many, many battles so they can't all be difficult. And having said all that, I have still died more than a few times already but dodging still seems a little overly useful... I rarely ever counter/riposte mailny because the dodge just seems to always work.

I'm no combat expert but IMO counter/riposte seems to be most useful for human enemies. All humans have a god-like ability to block and parry your attacks as long as they have stamina. You can of course dodge to their flanks or just beat down their stamina with fast attacks until you land a hit, but using counters to throw them off balance makes the fights more interesting to me.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
yeah, dodging is essential and while you can't effectively parry most monsters, you should be doing that with humans as best you can, especially the shield jerks. Dodging also helps just to get around to the side and back of enemies for a big hit. dodging generally for monsters, parry/riposte for humans.

but nekkers/wolves/spiders and thingies...they don't seem to care if you dodge or block. They just swarm and don't respond to attacks.

and yes, a certain level gap above yours will mean those suckers will take little to no damage, regardless of your gear.

I find that you can get away with being undergeared more often than being underleveled.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I found that if you use the right oil and such that you can fight things that you seemingly cannot beat. Though I ended up being over leveled for most encounters anyway because of all the exploration I was doing.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
...though I do wish the Radovid plotline were more developed and more consequential in actual gameplay.

I pulled this from the Skyrim thread btw.

Yeah, the radovid plotline was kinda odd in its conclusion. What I found even stranger was how the soldiers were all standing around doing their usual thing afterwards as well.
The chaos that would likely ensue could have caused an interesting set of extra quests as ex-soldiers try to make their own way in the world.

Is there only one potential conclusion to the radovid plot? I assume so.

---

Separate question - has anyone tried switching between armour types and seeing how it affects combat? I have a fair idea how it's supposed to, and while I'm playing the game through a second time, I simply went cat school again :)

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I pulled this from the Skyrim thread btw.

Yeah, the radovid plotline was kinda odd in its conclusion. What I found even stranger was how the soldiers were all standing around doing their usual thing afterwards as well.
The chaos that would likely ensue could have caused an interesting set of extra quests as ex-soldiers try to make their own way in the world.

Is there only one potential conclusion to the radovid plot? I assume so.

---

Separate question - has anyone tried switching between armour types and seeing how it affects combat? I have a fair idea how it's supposed to, and while I'm playing the game through a second time, I simply went cat school again :)

added to that, when playing through Hearts of Stone the world--especially around Oxenfurt--seems to be in the same state it was before Nilfgaard left. The Redanians still talk about the war and going off to fight and what not, they still talk about Radovid--even the Baron's peeps, iirc, mention the Baron as if he's still around. I guess this is because that campaign can exist within the main story and you could choose to complete it beforehand?

as far armor--I only notice it when going from light armor to anything else, because everything takes longer to die (using the light armor trait, obviously). I never really liked the style of the cat armor, so I went ahead and enchanted the bear armor to be light armor.

One thing I haven't tried is mixing sets and swords, to try and get at least some of one of the bonuses (or both), which also makes things interesting with the new grandmaster bonuses--which are also triggered by swords, so it allows some customization.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
as far armor--I only notice it when going from light armor to anything else, because everything takes longer to die (using the light armor trait, obviously). I never really liked the style of the cat armor, so I went ahead and enchanted the bear armor to be light armor.

:eek: You can do that?

One other thing I've never fully understood is the business of adrenaline points, where they get represented, etc.

JeffNY35

Dec 16, 2009
I really love this game.

But does anyone else find equipment durability to be nothing more than a stupid annoyance?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
:eek: You can do that?

One other thing I've never fully understood is the business of adrenaline points, where they get represented, etc.

yeah, part of the Hearts of Stone stuff. Go to that olfieri armor enchanter near the merchant in that corner of Velen that is part of the expansion pack. Both have involved quests to unlock their stores or crafting.

The light armor enchanting is crazy expensive, of course. Those will replace your upgrade slots, though. It is only needed for the chest piece, at least--but the light armor bonus is on its own better than any upgrade slots (unless you just really like the look of cat armor, so you get that bonus + the upgrade slots :\)