The Witcher 3 release date pushed to february 2015

Racan

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2012
http://cdpred.com/release-date-of-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-an-open-letter/#more-2473

Ever since we started working on the third installment in The Witcher franchise, it has been our aim to produce a title that would take our 11 years of experience in creating RPGS and distill them into a quintessence, into a game that would effectively crown those years. At the same time, we have wanted The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt to expand creative boundaries, set new benchmarks, develop the genre as a whole. Ultimately, you, the players, must get an unforgettable adventure to experience in a vast, open world – and that’s most important. We’ve created a story that flows naturally, cinematically, rendered it in amazing sound and visuals, while preserving full freedom of choice – all for you. We knew this to be an ambitious plan, but believed we could achieve it by bringing together our team with its creative energies and current gaming platforms with their technical capabilities. A project this vast and complex would inevitably require special care in its final stages, manual fine-tuning of many details, thorough testing time and again.
We recently reexamined what we had achieved thus far, and faced a choice about the game’s final release date. The decision we made was difficult, thoroughly considered, and ultimately clear and obvious. We could have released the game towards the end of this year as we had initially planned. Yet we concluded that a few additional months will let us achieve the quality that will satisfy us, the quality gamers expect from us. Consequently, we have set the release of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt for February 2015.
Dear gamers – we know many of you would have liked to play The Witcher 3 sooner, as soon as possible, even. We’re sorry to make you wait longer than you, or we, initially assumed you would. At the same time, we believe the game will prove to be worth the wait and meet the expectations you have of us. We believe The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt will be an exceptional RPG, one of the best, providing many hours of wonderful entertainment.
Dear shareholders – we are aware of the responsibility that rests with us and thank you for the trust you have granted us thus far. We firmly believe that quality – more than any other factor – determines a game’s success, and that the decision we have made is thus equally valid in business terms.
The Board of CD PROJEKT SA

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Eh, can't say I am really that disappointed. If it takes them some extra time to make this came better, I'm okay with it.

Racan

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2012
I guess so, late 2014 to feb 2015 is not that big of a delay anyway.

giantpandaman2

Oct 17, 2005
On a project as big as Witcher 3, a delay of a few months is nothing. As much as I've loved the Witcher series early on the games have always been a little...rough. The great developer support after release, though, has always been on of the things that set CD Projekt apart.

code65536

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2006
The alternative is pulling an EA where seemingly everything is released in an incomplete state and you'll have to wait for months anyway before the patches finally brings it up to snuff.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Pushing back release by a few weeks or a couple of months and doing it well in advance with an honest message to fans is much better than what most companies do which is make sure the release date is met and then follow up with dozens of patches and semi-mandatory DLC.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Thats fine i wanted to be ready with dual gtx 880s for playing this at 4k, gives nvidia more time to release ;-D

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
At least it wasn't 2 weeks away and then pushed back months and months like some other titles.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
here is a amusing summation of my experience with Witcher 2

1) launch game.
i was flat ass broke and so i did something which im not too proud of .. i "borrowed a copy".
2) watch the intro. chose to go to teh palace where you fight (or rather, run from ) the dragon.
barely amused if not outright annoyed at the vulgar language in the intro. not that i'm against it, it just didn't really fit the moment.
3) play the first 2 minutes, get to the dragon breath section, get instakilled.
4) NON SKIPPABLE CUTSCENES?!?
5) google "witcher skip cutscenes"
6) read google, uninstall game.

that was it. no game which includes non-skippable scenes (also, *repeat* non skippable cutscenes, just before a insta-death section) can be allowed on my PC. It's the rules.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

1) launch game.
i was flat ass broke and so i did something which im not too proud of .. i "borrowed a copy".
2) watch the intro. chose to go to teh palace where you fight (or rather, run from ) the dragon.
barely amused if not outright annoyed at the vulgar language in the intro. not that i'm against it, it just didn't really fit the moment.

that was it. no game which includes non-skippable scenes (also, *repeat* non skippable cutscenes, just before a insta-death section) can be allowed on my PC. It's the rules.

ok...um, thanks? So you have no attention span and just skip the story right? Cause pretty much every game with a story has cutscenes.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007

1) launch game.

Non-skippable cutscenes? I know exactly what you're talking about because I just played through that section 2 days ago (I never got around to playing my copy). Right click.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
ok...um, thanks? So you have no attention span and just skip the story right? Cause pretty much every game with a story has cutscenes.
actually you know what, i'm just *that* good with english, that watching a cutscene once is enough for me to understand what happens in it.

I know, i'm boss, totally the king of teh engles languaje. im so boss that having to watch the same 40-second unskippable introductory cutscene twenty times (to then play 15 seconds of gameplay and get roasted by the dragon breath) actually irritates me.

i guess .. my fault?

You know, the irony here is that you tell me i have no attention span because having to watch the same cutscene 20-odd times annoys me, and yet, you don't have the attention span to read a post which probably takes 10 seconds.

*repeat* non skippable cutscenes, just before a insta-death section

Last edited:

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004

Non skippable cutscenes is inexcusable. Replaying the game I dont wanna see the same stuff ive already seen!

Brings back horrible memories of reinstalling red alert 2 and having to watch that fooking intro movie... again! I remember trying to be smart and minimizing it waiting 3 mins but it just pauses the goddamn cutscene it picks up right where it left off upon maximizing the game. Ugh, had to just leave the room for a bit and let it play after the 10th viewing.

Cutscenes should always be skippable :thumbsup:

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Any time a dev pushes back a game's release we should be happy (well, almost any time) because that means they value putting out a better quality release over a cheap cash grab.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
I'm hoping Cyberpunk 2077 is still on whatever their schedule is. I believe the teams are separate, but I also believe a lot of the Witcher team will move to support Cyberpunk after the game goes gold.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Wasn't the game expected late 4th quarter anyway? Its not that bad of a delay, I guess it gives you more time to decide which GPU to get for the game.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
Imo it's good news when a developer allows themselves the ability to move a release date back, it tells me they are more in tune with their product and how ready it really is. The opposite spectrum of that is somebody like Creative Assembly, just look at how awful Rome 2 is 6 months and ten patches later.