The Witcher 2 Has Gone Gold, Releases In 3 Weeks

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Not everyone likes every game. In fact not everyone who likes a type of game likes all games that are those types.
-
Many of his gripes I think were valid; it just a matter as to whether they out weigh the pluses. I have lots of complaints abuot the game (mostly with info popping up and vanishing but can't review them or recall them); and generally a poor user interface (strange lag at time or game ignoring input at time). There is also quite a bit that is not (imho) intuiitive, not in the manual and not explained by the game or the game will explain a feature and per above comment the pop up will vanish and you can't recall it if you were distracted by something like combat when it chose to make itself present.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I can have gripes about everything. There isn't a game in the world that is perfect. However, gripes do not make a game good or bad.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I have lots of complaints abuot the game (mostly with info popping up and vanishing but can't review them or recall them)

the pop up will vanish and you can't recall it if you were distracted by something like combat when it chose to make itself present.

Can't all pop ups be found in the tutorial section of the menu, ordered by date of appearance?

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Can't all pop ups be found in the tutorial section of the menu, ordered by date of appearance?

Yes. All tutorial popus are stored in the journal under "tutorials". However it IS true that this isn't really explained well, and many things are explained well, and that the interface in general is awful. The gameplay makes up for most of it, but it's so shockingly bad that it's off putting.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
The gameplay makes up for most of it, but it's so shockingly bad that it's off putting.

I wouldn't call it "shockingly" bad. It's a bit troublesome (particularly if you're playing with a gamepad, like me) but after getting used to it I can scroll through the menus quite easily, including accessing the tutorials.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Hum. I actually checked the tutorial but didn't seem to find what had recenlty poped up; do they get added right away and in all cases ?

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Yes. All tutorial popus are stored in the journal under "tutorials". However it IS true that this isn't really explained well, and many things are explained well, and that the interface in general is awful. The gameplay makes up for most of it, but it's so shockingly bad that it's off putting.

Shockingly bad? I've never been as annoyed/shocked by Witcher 2's UI as I was with Oblivion or Mass Effect 2. And both of those games are universally loved. So I'll have to question your choice of words.

RobDickinson

Jan 6, 2011
Witchers UI is slow and cumbersome for sure. Want to drink a potion? OK I understand he should do this a bit before combat but that is often a surprise to the poor dumb smuck.

And as for the 'tutorial' I've only just discovered how you use the mind control spell (via the internets), and that helped me defeat sets of 2 wights I otherwise would have just switched the game off and not gone back.

Its still a good game but they could have ironed out some issues before releasing

RobDickinson

Jan 6, 2011
Yep sure, I should automaticaly understand that one power out of 6 needs to be held for a few seconds instead of insta work.

"The Axii Sign - a charm placed on an opponent. If the charm attempt is successful , the enemy will become your ally for a short while, fighting at your side"

The sum total of what the games user manual says about the power. Doesnt mention that it wont work from a distance or you need to cast it for a certain length of time, I'd basicaly tried it a few times, seen no real usefull efect, died numeours items, and decided witcher magic was almost a total bag of shite.

Purely because the games manufacturers couldnt be botherd to add a couple more lines of text.