The Witcher 2 Has Gone Gold, Releases In 3 Weeks

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
I am not going to pre-order it, but maybe will purchase to kill some time in summer. The only RPG exposure I have is from playing ME 1 & 2 and I know most of you guys think they both are dumbed down RPGs..

My question is.. do I have to play The original Witcher to enjoy this?

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
i want the collectors edition, comes with tons of great stuff.

41FYXKmcasL._AA300_.jpg

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
You're going to put lipstick on the bust and make sweet love to it aren't you :D

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
i want the collectors edition, comes with tons of great stuff.

41FYXKmcasL._AA300_.jpg

I actually cancelled my CE version, I went for the premium edition which is only one third of the price and probably the best value .

51g2uNQ-m8L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Last edited:

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
In case it hasn't ben posted yet, direct2drive is selling the Witcher2 for ~$33 bucks. Use the discount code SIZZLE for an additional 25% off their normal 10% discount on pre-orders.

I.e.: Normal price = $49.99
normal 10% discount: $44.99
+ additional 25%= ~$33

edit: not sure how long the deal will last. And it applies to various other big game preorders too.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
The real problem is, how do you manage to play The Witcher and enjoy it?

I am not sure if that is sarcasm in play or not, but I thought that The Witcher was a good game and people seem to like it. Was it not the case?

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
The real problem is, how do you manage to play The Witcher and enjoy it? :awe:

The Witcher is actually my favorite RPG... ever. :) I guess my tastes are kind of unique. Of course, The Witcher seems to be one of those games you either love or hate. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
edit: NM.

Not sure if I will get it right away, as most of my free time is sucked into WoW or LoL lately, but I want to check it out eventually.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
I do hope they've significantly improved the combat system. I'm replaying TW1 right now, and as good as the game is overall combat is laughably bad at some points.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I do hope they've significantly improved the combat system. I'm replaying TW1 right now, and as good as the game is overall combat is laughably bad at some points.

I actually grew to like the combat. I did find that it was way too easy most of the time, since I could just knock down most oponents with the force Ard (sp?) and just do a finishing move on them while they were on the ground.

The thing I hated about the game was the multitude of invisible walls due to the NWN engine. I hope the new build isn't as bad about that as the the original.

vrait

Aug 10, 2010
I am not sure if that is sarcasm in play or not, but I thought that The Witcher was a good game and people seem to like it. Was it not the case?

The Witcher 1 is great, and is very fun. But starts out slow, so some people quit within the first hour. And somehow base the whole game on that little amount of time.

I definitely recommend playing the first one before getting the 2nd one.

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
In case it hasn't ben posted yet, direct2drive is selling the Witcher2 for ~$33 bucks. Use the discount code SIZZLE for an additional 25% off their normal 10% discount on pre-orders.

+ additional 25%= ~$33

edit: not sure how long the deal will last. And it applies to various other big game preorders too.

thx,
I've ordered it through them. Appreciate the $11.00 + gift..

mingsoup

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
Seems as if Steam activation is still up in the air. Lots of different opinions.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1772202

It might be the first game to have Steam only exclusive achievements w/o import. I don't know of another game like this.
It IS going to have achievements and steam cloud, just whether or not some retail keys will be importable or not remains up for debate. I've read that the D2D and Impulse will be DRM free too, like GOG, so an import does seem highly unlikely.
Strange as the store does *not* list achievements yet, but they have been slated to be there. Unfortunate for me as I unfortunately have achievement sickness right now, I'd see myself pay 15$ more for the integration, tracking, and those achievements (to show off to my friends.) Sick I know. So importing is important to me.

Does anyone know typically when the 10% falls off the pre-orders on Steam?
If I was patient and smart, in the time it takes me to finish Witcher 1, Witcher 2 will be at a better non week1/month1 price, but what fun is that?

Last edited:

Phobic9

Golden Member
Apr 6, 2001

+ additional 25%= ~$33

Thanks. :D

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
i thought it sucked

Lets not derail this thread as well,we already have another hate Witcher thread but it appears the same people are trying to destroy this one :rolleyes: .

Let us keep it about Witcher 2 where possible.

Getting back on topic it'll be interesting to see how polished W2 will be,hopefully minimum amount of bugs.

Last edited:

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Lets not derail this thread as well,we already have another hate Witcher thread but it appears the same people are trying to destroy this one :rolleyes: .

Let us keep it about Witcher 2 where possible.

I think it's just a matter of making the point that, at least for me, for Witcher 2 to even be decent it really has a lot to change from Witcher. It could be good, but if it comes out with just a graphics update and more buttons to press during combat, there's still a lot of core problems holding it back.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I think it's just a matter of making the point that, at least for me, for Witcher 2 to even be decent it really has a lot to change from Witcher. It could be good, but if it comes out with just a graphics update and more buttons to press during combat, there's still a lot of core problems holding it back.

I have to say that I hope Combat stays mostly the same, although I am sure they are changing that part. What I would like to change is the generic sidequests, and the crappy clipping on the engine. If they can change those two things, I will enjoy the game much more.

Even so, I really enjoyed the original game. I hope they don't make major changes to this game, since it wasn't broken to begin with. The biggest problem with the original game was the lack of action in the early game which made it relatively boring until you got almost half way through.

Mootorks

Jan 2, 2002
FYI for all the people talking about Combat in Witcher 2, a trailer was released that describes the new gameplay. I highly recommend it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBCjYWmQnCc

Personally I couldn't get into Witcher 1, because the combat / level up systems didn't interest me. However the preview trailer I linked above has me enticed for Witcher 2. After the disappointment that was Dragon Age 2 this game may fill the RPG void in my soul.

-Slacker-

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2010
FYI for all the people talking about Combat in Witcher 2, a trailer was released that describes the new gameplay. I highly recommend it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBCjYWmQnCc

Personally I couldn't get into Witcher 1, because the combat / level up systems didn't interest me. However the preview trailer I linked above has me enticed for Witcher 2. After the disappointment that was Dragon Age 2 this game may fill the RPG void in my soul.

Button-mashing-quick-time-event/10

Press "W"/10

Everything else seemed interesting, although I hope that there are hot keys and you don't have to pull out the Crysis-style skill menu in mid game.