The Witcher 2 Has Gone Gold, Releases In 3 Weeks

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Eh, neither TW1 or Oblivion really has a living world. They're both basically the same TBH. NPCs living on preset schedules with minor randomization of their actions, and semi-random spawns of enemies in the "wilds".

The best living world game I have ever played is STALKER. Oblivion was better than the Witcher in the case of NPCs living their lives independent of you, but still not as good as Stalkers A-Life.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
give me steam sale or anywhere else. i'll buy the first if its less than 10 dollars...preferably 7.50 ;)

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I'm a bit old fashioned since I prefer retail versions when it comes to my PC games ie DVD case and manual plus whatever else you get in the case.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002

just made a purchase. thank you sir i had no idea it was that cheap there. i always figured that steam's prices were the standard for the whole digital distribution industry

i was going to think about it for steam, but for 4.99 and lots of free bonus content (namely...the soundtrack. if the game's music is good, free soundtrack is just awesome. the other stuff i could care less about)

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
You're kidding, right?

Um, no? :confused:

That's exactly how Oblivion handled NPCs. They had a scripted series of events to follow through, allowing them to work, eat, sleep, and do other things as well. Shops closed at nights, and opened in the mornings. That preview showed nothing that hasn't already been done before, so I said there's no reason to get so excited over it.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I got an email about my order,

Your order for The Witcher 2: Assassins Of Kings - Premium Edition (With Play.com Exclusive Pre-Order Bonus "Ultimate Magical Suit") has been posted.

Please note PLAY.COM will show on your statement.

Please allow 3-5 days delivery.

Please check the following order information:

Order reference: xxxxxxxxxx
Title: The Witcher 2: Assassins Of Kings - Premium Edition (With Play.com Exclusive Pre-Order Bonus "Ultimate Magical Suit")
Price: GBP 24.99

I did not expect it to be despatched already.

Terzo

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2005
I'm a bit old fashioned since I prefer retail versions when it comes to my PC games ie DVD case and manual plus whatever else you get in the case.

I'm the same way. I just find it much more satisfying to have the box and accessories, and appreciate what CDPR is doing with this game by including accessories. Especially given that they are not charging $60 for it. I can understand if some people don't care about the extras, but seeing as it really doesn't cost you anything I don't see any reason to complain.

As for the game itself, I'm quite interested, but eventually decided against buying it. I simply have too many games unfinished and unopened to be paying $50 for a new game to sit on my shelf. At the very least, I want to finish Planescape:Torment before buying and playing Witcher 2.

terry107

Dec 8, 2005
The Witcher 2's launch trailer has been released - heavy metal, boobs, and blood. What more do you need?

See it here: Link

Oct 27, 2007
The Witcher 2's launch trailer has been released - heavy metal, boobs, and blood. What more do you need?

See it here: Link
Awesome, thanks for the link. I'm very excited about this game and loved the first one. Is it just me or is some of the animation in that trailer rather sub-par? Not that it matters to me, the first game had some rough animation too, but I was hoping they would do better this time in that regard.

Oct 27, 2007
I don't remember much of the original story, anyone know how relevant it will be in this game? I don't really feel like replaying the first one.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I don't remember much of the original story, anyone know how relevant it will be in this game? I don't really feel like replaying the first one.

I hope it's not very relevant, since I never played the original. If both stories are indeed very much linked together (and, well, it should, Witcher 2 is a sequel, supposed to be anyway) then I think I'll just watch important story-related videos of the original on YouTube or just try to get the info on what was the original all about and how it finished.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
The second one also uses the first ones save like in the ME games. Though they said the second one is easily playable without playing the first, though it should make it more enjoyable to play the first to catch up on story stuff as well as having your decisions transfer over to the second with the save.

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004

Judging by the launch trailer, right where the first one ended. First part of the launch trailer basically replays the end animation movie from the first game (part with the assassin and king, etc).

---

I don't do this very often, but I'm really excited for this game and I think I'll pre-order it. Hope it doesn't end up being a disappointment, but I feel it will be a worthy successor. :)

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I've had mine on Preorder for a while now. CDProjek is a dev I want to support, with the decline of Bioware after EA, they may be the only way to get a good RPG.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
The second one also uses the first ones save like in the ME games. Though they said the second one is easily playable without playing the first, though it should make it more enjoyable to play the first to catch up on story stuff as well as having your decisions transfer over to the second with the save.

My save is from the non-enhanced edition. Hopefully they can port over.

Terzo

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2005
I remember hearing someone made a save generator for Mass Effect which would allow you to make choices to import into ME2. Is there something similar for the Witcher? I'm pretty sure I deleted my saved games a while ago.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I remember hearing someone made a save generator for Mass Effect which would allow you to make choices to import into ME2. Is there something similar for the Witcher? I'm pretty sure I deleted my saved games a while ago.

It may be possible the game itself will ask what you did in part 1. Similar to Dragon Age 2.

You wont get the equipment though but half the fun is getting new shit anyway.

Terzo

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2005
It may be possible the game itself will ask what you did in part 1. Similar to Dragon Age 2.

You wont get the equipment though but half the fun is getting new shit anyway.

I found the equipment to be pretty meaningless anyways. I completed the game with the basic armor you start with and some of the reward swords from chapter 2 or 3.