The Witcher 2 Has Gone Gold, Releases In 3 Weeks

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
http://www.metacritic.com/user/VuleeHarkonnen

There are a lot of people with accounts that have only 2 reviews and they go like this:

Gave a 10 to Dragon Age II

Gave a 0 to The Witcher 2

I just checked every negative score (all 9 of them lol) on metacritic. ALL of them have given a 10 to Dragon Age 2, and a 0 to The Witcher 2. I think all 9 of them are Bioware Employees. In fact, one even goes by the name "Bioware Intern".

I find this extremely in bad taste. It is one thing to artificially mark up your own score, but to actively downgrade someone elses score is taking it to a new low level. I don't think I will ever buy another Bioware game after seeing this. I can't believe they would actively try to hurt someone like that just to try to help their own sales.

EDIT: Here is the link to the one Bioware emplyee who doesn't mask that he works at Bioware: http://www.metacritic.com/user/Bioware_Intern

Last edited:

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
You have to also consider the possibility somebody is reverse-trolling to make Bioware look bad. Those names are a little too blatant lol.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
You have to also consider the possibility somebody is reverse-trolling to make Bioware look bad. Those names are a little too blatant lol.

My thoughts exactly. BTW, are the fan boys being any less egregious, giving it a "10" 12 hours or less after it was released?

Last edited:

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
Curious, anyone playing it with a 360 controller? Thoughts? I'm not a fan of playing PC games on a controller, but I make exceptions for games like Just Cause 2, Witcher 2 looks like it was designed with controller in mind, so I may have to give it a try.

quadomatic

May 13, 2007
Do I just suck at combat, or is combat actually decently hard? I died like a bajillion times trying to take out the knights guarding the ballista towards the beginning of the game.

terry107

Dec 8, 2005
Do I just suck at combat, or is combat actually decently hard? I died like a bajillion times trying to take out the knights guarding the ballista towards the beginning of the game.

I got my ass handed to me during that fight when I tried this morning. Couldn't try again though as I was already late for work.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
D*MM!T - D2D file has a CRC error during install. :(

Time to re-download 13gb...

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
Sigh... my activation seems to be broken. Every time I load up the launcher, put in key, it says "Checking for updates..." then closes out and does nothing from there. I could put in bullshit and it'll still do the same. Yep... I'm pissed off over this right now.

(Bought the game at D2D)

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
argh I'm still at work.. still have at least 30 mins then at least 1 hour of commute.. then install.. bleh..

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
Sigh... my activation seems to be broken. Every time I load up the launcher, put in key, it says "Checking for updates..." then closes out and does nothing from there. I could put in bullshit and it'll still do the same. Yep... I'm pissed off over this right now.

(Bought the game at D2D)

CDP servers are down, they're working on increasing performance. You can't activate the game until the servers are back up. Follow up on any updates here:

http://www.en.thewitcher.com/community/

People who activated it already don't need to worry. The game only calls the servers once, on the first launch.

Aristotelian

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
Yeah, I played the first game with Crossfire. I had to disable my secondary card, to get the best performance. I had stutter, tearing and lower FPS with two cards.

I'm currently fiddling with the second game right now. No Crossfire profile released for the game with the 11.5 drivers, so I'm actually getting slighly lower FPS with two cards than with just one.

This seems to be the most demanding game ever made with everything on the highest settings, so slightly annoying that I can't use the full power of my rig.

Hope they release a Crossfire profile for this soon!

Thanks, yeah. It's unfortunate that it's so pronounced. I haven't played another game with such pronounced microstutter (and I thought Metro2033 had it bad in that regard).

I'm really looking forward to this game but I'm only on Act 2 of the first...must...finish it.

microstutter aristot?:(

I don't understand what you mean by this.

orbster556

Dec 14, 2005

I had the same problem during that first fight. Although it took me a while to figure out the mechanics, I eventually was able to make sense of it now and get through fights. It did, however, take some trial and error.

Apr 28, 2010
I had the same problem during that first fight. Although it took me a while to figure out the mechanics, I eventually was able to make sense of it now and get through fights. It did, however, take some trial and error.

Yeah, took me a little to get used to it again.

Try to get everyone infront of you, by dodging/running around, should they come from more than one direction.

Single out the weak opponents first. Guys without plate armor, and shields. Lock on to them with ALT, and take one down completely, before going for the next.

Move a lot. I let the guys with shields take a swing at me, and then stab them in the back, or interrupt with them the Igni sign, and then quick stab.

I actually enjoy the combat, it's very fast paced.

shurato

Platinum Member
Sep 24, 2000
I don't have time to play Witcher 1.... i dont know why I just bought Witcher 2 since I don't have time for that either.

Will I be missing out on alot if I dont play Witcher 1?

Apr 28, 2010
I don't have time to play Witcher 1.... i dont know why I just bought Witcher 2 since I don't have time for that either.

Will I be missing out on alot if I dont play Witcher 1?

RPGs have always been my favorite genre when it came to video games. I've played them since the late 80s, and I'd rate The Witcher somewhere in my top five best RPGs of all time.

Give it a little and it really picks up. Especially once you get inside Vizima.

Few combat mods released for the game. I played through the game with a mod which balanced out the magic signs, and made sword fighting a lot harder. You did more damage, but you also received a lot more. I thought it was a big improvement from the original implementation.

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
Yeah, took me a little to get used to it again.

Try to get everyone infront of you, by dodging/running around, should they come from more than one direction.

Single out the weak opponents first. Guys without plate armor, and shields. Lock on to them with ALT, and take one down completely, before going for the next.

Move a lot. I let the guys with shields take a swing at me, and then stab them in the back, or interrupt with them the Igni sign, and then quick stab.

I actually enjoy the combat, it's very fast paced.

thanks for the tips, I never had any problem with combat in Witcher1, but here I died so many times dealing with the group guarding the ballista. I'm going to try playing with a wireless Xbox controller too to see how well it works.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Ouch. Does D2D not have an integrity check?

Other people seem to be having the same issue - except with the DVD CE version.

Re-downloaded and still the same problem - CRC error in ZIP file does not match the CAB.

When I click on retry this time around, norton 360 chose to delete the setup.exe file because it was behaving "suspiciously". I suspect Norton AV has something to do with the CRC error...

update - restored the setup.exe file, disabled norton AV, and continued/installed without any issues. Activated, downloaded "activation patch" [updates], and good to go!

Holy crow - that didn't take too long to get into some full frontal nudity... :D

Dang..wish I would've saved my Witcher 1 game saves too... [or maybe it doesn't matter?].

Last edited:

shurato

Platinum Member
Sep 24, 2000
RPGs have always been my favorite genre when it came to video games. I've played them since the late 80s, and I'd rate The Witcher somewhere in my top five best RPGs of all time.

Give it a little and it really picks up. Especially once you get inside Vizima.

Few combat mods released for the game. I played through the game with a mod which balanced out the magic signs, and made sword fighting a lot harder. You did more damage, but you also received a lot more. I thought it was a big improvement from the original implementation.

Yes I've been a big fan of RPG games since the DOS days. Ultima, Might and Magic, Wizardry, etc... I would say Baldurs Gate is one of my favorite RPG's of all time.

I can't seem to get into the newer generation RPG's however. I didn't really like Oblivion or Fallout3. The epic scale of the world actually seemed pretty lifeless after playing MMORPG's. I've not played a single player RPG since Mass Effect 1 which I ended up losing interest on as well.

Maybe it's because I'm getting older and my attention span is getting shorter....

Witcher 2 is almost done downloading from Amazon. I was set on just jumping right in to part 2 but ..... now I must make a decision now to dive in or purchase Witcher 1....

Apr 28, 2010
"Dang..wish I would've saved my Witcher 1 game saves too... [or maybe it doesn't matter?]."

I'm currently playing with a save where I sided with Siegfried and the Order of the Flaming Rose, and killed all the elves/dwarves.

Can't think of any other major choices you make the game.

Maybe letting the King of the Wild Hunt consume The Grand Master's soul?

Not sure, yet, just a few hours into the game.