The Wink home automation thread

Page 160 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Man these home automation systems are constantly changing. I am dumping Smarthings after they forced everyone from the classic app as the performance in the new app is terrible. I am moving all my devices over to either my Ring Hub (Zwave stuff like my 30 GE light switches) or a 4th Gen Echo (Zigbee stuff). So far the performance and control has been much better (Ring has come a LONG way for handling not Ring devices), and I prefer how the Alexa app organizes things compared to the dump list of devices in Smarthings, and the routines are just enough to do what I want in regards to automation, but now I have to have two assistants all over the house because Alexa sucks when it comes to Spotify casting or understanding questions compared to Google Home.

Oh well, I guess two sets of voice devices everywhere is better than two hubs, or at least that is what I will tell myself.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Man these home automation systems are constantly changing. I am dumping Smarthings after they forced everyone from the classic app as the performance in the new app is terrible. I am moving all my devices over to either my Ring Hub (Zwave stuff like my 30 GE light switches) or a 4th Gen Echo (Zigbee stuff). So far the performance and control has been much better (Ring has come a LONG way for handling not Ring devices), and I prefer how the Alexa app organizes things compared to the dump list of devices in Smarthings, and the routines are just enough to do what I want in regards to automation, but now I have to have two assistants all over the house because Alexa sucks when it comes to Spotify casting or understanding questions compared to Google Home.

Oh well, I guess two sets of voice devices everywhere is better than two hubs, or at least that is what I will tell myself.

Yep, I moved over to Hubitat earlier this year when ST announced they were forcing everyone to the new app. That, and my ST hub is 5 years old and I felt I was living on borrowed time. I still have a few devices on SmartThings, but nothing extremely important and I'll move those things to Hubitat eventually. I still need to rebuild a few automations in Hubitat but otherwise it's good.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I want to have time to install something similar in my house before the summer. However, I do not know how much it will cost. My brother has already installed a whole automation system for a long time, and he really likes it, he said that he would help me with this

Either Alexa (simple) or SmartThings (more customizable) is your best bet. Wink has pretty much been replaced by Samsung: