The Wink home automation thread

Page 130 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MjnMixael

Aug 17, 2014
OK.. that's pretty damn cool. Sadly, I won't be adding a Tesla to the mix just yet. :p

Unless... hear that Wink guys? I'd gladly test Tesla connectivity for you!

RodolfoDLV

Aug 28, 2015
OK.. that's pretty damn cool. Sadly, I won't be adding a Tesla to the mix just yet.

Unless... hear that Wink guys? I'd gladly test Tesla connectivity for you!
Highly doubt Wink can make $70,000 out of the blue with how their finances are right now. But if they do manage, please don't even tell me about it. Up until now it's been hundred dollar gadgets. Don't even think of telling me there's a $70,000 gadget that works awesome with Wink

baluvee

Aug 17, 2012
Hello Room
I bought a wink Hub, rooted it. Have openHab on raspberry pi and controlling 1 bulb(for now) locally. I am thinking about getting Kidde 2-in-1 Battery Operated Wireless-Interconnected Combination Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Voice and converting it as water sensor.

Tech_Greek

Sep 18, 2011
I finally got around to linking all of my lights again in the new house...all 17 of them. That was...fun.

MjnMixael

Aug 17, 2014
Did ya'all see the new stuff added to Wink today?

Ecobee support, Carrier Cor support, iHome SmartPlug support, and the ability to enable disable Robots through Robots and Shortcuts.

EDIT: Also, has anyone gotten any generic zigbee/z-wave temp sensors to work with Wink? I'd like something other than Spotter for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007

Ecobee support, Carrier Cor support, iHome SmartPlug support, and the ability to enable disable Robots through Robots and Shortcuts.

EDIT: Also, has anyone gotten any generic zigbee/z-wave temp sensors to work with Wink? I'd like something other than Spotter for obvious reasons.

Nope. I tried with my Lowes Iris sensors and couldn't get them to pair. Work GREAT in SmartThings though.

jrlnc

Oct 3, 2015

Hi all,

First time posting here, but I've been reading for several months.

A few months ago I made a feature request of a support person at Wink to add Ecobee. (Actually I think they must have already had it on their list. The person I spoke to seemed to know something about it.)

This update is great news for me because I replaced the Nest thermostat with the Ecobee. The Ecobee is the best thermostat I've ever had because it uses as many sensors as you want to use for temperature/occupancy to make sure the rooms you are using are kept within your 'comfort' settings.

Not only can I add the Ecobee to my Wink system now, but now maybe its sensors can be used to trigger shortcuts/robots for lighting. :cool:

Can't wait to get home and add it tonight!

The other thing that's great about it is that Wink is still alive and still has several nice updates in the queue. I hope that local control is coming soon.

Tech_Greek

Sep 18, 2011
Let us know how the sensor triggers work. I may buy another ecobee for the new house if that's the case.

MjnMixael

Aug 17, 2014
Hi all,

First time posting here, but I've been reading for several months.

A few months ago I made a feature request of a support person at Wink to add Ecobee. (Actually I think they must have already had it on their list. The person I spoke to seemed to know something about it.)

This update is great news for me because I replaced the Nest thermostat with the Ecobee. The Ecobee is the best thermostat I've ever had because it uses as many sensors as you want to use for temperature/occupancy to make sure the rooms you are using are kept within your 'comfort' settings.

Not only can I add the Ecobee to my Wink system now, but now maybe its sensors can be used to trigger shortcuts/robots for lighting. :cool:

Can't wait to get home and add it tonight!

The other thing that's great about it is that Wink is still alive and still has several nice updates in the queue. I hope that local control is coming soon.

It was (and is) tough when people were posting in this thread talking about how Wink needs to add this or that product and I know the product is coming due to the testing stuff.... I just can't say anything. I've been wanting to blurt out in this thread for a while that Ecobee was coming! My point is that Wink is very much alive an active internally.

trunzoc

Feb 19, 2015
It was (and is) tough when people were posting in this thread talking about how Wink needs to add this or that product and I know the product is coming due to the testing stuff.... I just can't say anything. I've been wanting to blurt out in this thread for a while that Ecobee was coming! My point is that Wink is very much alive an active internally.

I'm the same way. I was so freaking excited that they finally announced it. Ecobee is honestly the best thermostat I have ever used and so happy to have gotten one to test for Wink.

Also, for those interested, Wink@Home was already configured to work with Ecobee, the remote sensors, as well as the iHome Smartplug.

Got check it out...

https://winkathome.net

Also, I'm not sure if I ever posted it here or not, but I also fired up a wiki. LOTS of compatible devices listed, sorted alphbetically by company, or by device type.

http://wiki.winkathome.net

trunzoc

Feb 19, 2015
Let us know how the sensor triggers work. I may buy another ecobee for the new house if that's the case.

The Ecobee remote sensors report occupancy and temp to Wink. Right now, occupancy doesn't really do anything, but you CAN set robots based on temp. They work great.

jlslate

May 12, 2015
My Relay is updating again. It seems to update way more often than the hubs. I see no change log for it anywhere. Is it just updating the OS rather than the application?

jrlnc

Oct 3, 2015
The Ecobee remote sensors report occupancy and temp to Wink. Right now, occupancy doesn't really do anything, but you CAN set robots based on temp. They work great.

I was really hoping that the occupancy sensors would work with Wink, but they're only on the screen for Temperature sensors.

However, this is still useful. It is a much nicer screen to view the temperature for multiple rooms than even Ecobee's own app. In the Ecobee app you have to drill down 2 levels and all you can see are the temps. The Wink screen shows the last time polled so you have some idea of the polling frequency.

And it is much better to do thermostat adjustments through the Wink app than going to a separate app for that.

On another note .... about 2 weeks ago I purchased 2 of the new Lutron Zigbee remotes (called 'Connected Bulb remote' w/ 4 buttons on it). My entire house is mostly Lutron Caseta -- I love their remotes and they are the best switch for dimming LEDs. And their remotes still work even if Wink is offline.
Anyway, instead of using these remotes to control specific bulbs, I programmed each of their 4 buttons to execute a specific shortcut. The remote for my living room is setup for

1. Lights Up
  2. After Dinner Scene
  3. Movie Time
  4. Bedtime
Much handier than grabbing the iPad and launching Wink and then finding the shortcuts screen. And just like the Lutron pico remotes, you can wall-mount them or put the on a table-top pedestal stand. Neat!

Last edited:

matt-wink

Apr 17, 2015
Last edited:

mfridman

Aug 25, 2015
Thanks, but I think Home Depot + 5% HD credit discount is better?

Hey Gang, our friends at Leviton are running a special offer for Wink users.

Offer: 40% off and free shipping on select Leviton Decora lighting products (Z-Wave)
Where to buy:http://store.leviton.com/DZC-Home-Automation/b/10154645011?ie=UTF8&title=DZC&utm_source=Wink+Email+Newsletter+and+Updates&utm_campaign=4a26fea396-9_29_15_WinkUpdateNewProductsAndWidgets00device&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_4214645c6a-4a26fea396-
Expires: 7/11
Promo code: WINKSAVE

mfridman

Aug 25, 2015
If anyone is using the GoControl siren/strobe unit (the one that comes with the "Premium Security Kit", can you tell me if the latest version of Wink app lets you set up robots that will flash strobe only? Also, is there a way to change it from the 30s default siren timeout to something longer?

MjnMixael

Aug 17, 2014
If anyone is using the GoControl siren/strobe unit (the one that comes with the "Premium Security Kit", can you tell me if the latest version of Wink app lets you set up robots that will flash strobe only? Also, is there a way to change it from the 30s default siren timeout to something longer?

You can set a Robot to trigger the Strobe, Siren, or both. You can set the timeout to None, 30 seconds, 60 seconds, or 120 seconds.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I can't remember, is there a module for controlling ceiling fans yet? On, off, speed, and light? I know the GE one has limited unofficial support, but I'd prefer something Wink Certified.