The Wink home automation thread

Page 120 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
At this point, I watch Smartthings just to know what the competition is up to. Competition is good for us consumers.

That said.. based on what I'm seeing internally, I'm not worried about Wink at all. I could be wrong, who knows. But things are progressing internally and I'm pretty excited by what I'm seeing.

We've been hearing about these things from Wink and yet see nothing. We need some release dates and more info. Don't get me wrong, I'm hanging on to Wink and ordered ST v2.0 because I was able to get that really good bundle deal and wanted to play, but many people are wondering what is happening inside the company and what is coming down the road. Ben said local control by "end of summer" and summer is over in a couple of weeks.

RodolfoDLV

Aug 28, 2015
At this point, I watch Smartthings just to know what the competition is up to. Competition is good for us consumers.

That said.. based on what I'm seeing internally, I'm not worried about Wink at all. I could be wrong, who knows. But things are progressing internally and I'm pretty excited by what I'm seeing.

So, I just recently started in this whole HA thing. Said to myself: "I'll go slow and just put up a few things that are platform interchangeable and see from there". Little did I know this is so awesome to install, connect and play with, I'm already about 30 connected devices. And I chose Wink over ST, not because of the initial price, but more because of aesthetics, Nest support and the other connected companies. I mean, having Chamberlain, Lutron, Bali, Rheem, Nest, etc. is just something very big. The only thing that annoys me is that with the Quirky debacle, I'm left looking around for other sensors and there are no others available right away.
What I really like about ST is the "modes" you can use and presence sensors. Having to tap just one mode and go into full vacation mode in your house, except than activating and deactivating different robots is a nice feature.

Regarding Wink's future, it is hard for me to believe that when you have over 300,000 users there aren't a lot of companies just trying to swarm your office asking for their products to be supported. So I think (keep in mind, think) that Wink will survive. I just hope I could get some more info and reassurance on it.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
So, I just recently started in this whole HA thing. Said to myself: "I'll go slow and just put up a few things that are platform interchangeable and see from there". Little did I know this is so awesome to install, connect and play with, I'm already about 30 connected devices. And I chose Wink over ST, not because of the initial price, but more because of aesthetics, Nest support and the other connected companies. I mean, having Chamberlain, Lutron, Bali, Rheem, Nest, etc. is just something very big. The only thing that annoys me is that with the Quirky debacle, I'm left looking around for other sensors and there are no others available right away.
What I really like about ST is the "modes" you can use and presence sensors. Having to tap just one mode and go into full vacation mode in your house, except than activating and deactivating different robots is a nice feature.

Regarding Wink's future, it is hard for me to believe that when you have over 300,000 users there aren't a lot of companies just trying to swarm your office asking for their products to be supported. So I think (keep in mind, think) that Wink will survive. I just hope I could get some more info and reassurance on it.

I've generally been very pleased with the performance of my Wink stuff. It has greatly improved since I deployed it last October/November and I really want them to stay afloat. Like you though, I am concerned with the lack of certain sensors and wish that if Wink knew they were going to discontinue certain products (such as Overflow) that they would've at least had support ready for third-party sensors which performed similar functions prior to discontinuing hardware products.

Local control is something I REALLY need though and I intend to stick with Wink until it comes. I got the ST v2 bundle because I'm a geek and like to play, it was cheap ($100 for the hub and 2 sensors), and I thought maybe I could supplement Wink with it.

MjnMixael

Aug 17, 2014
We've been hearing about these things from Wink and yet see nothing. We need some release dates and more info.

Obviously I can't talk about specifics... but I am seeing. I know it'd be great if they told everyone more about what's going. I can't make them do that, but I do understand your position. I'm just saying that for whatever my anonymous internet user word is worth to you, I'm seeing really cool things coming. I'm chomping at the bit to be able to geek out with people over it all, too! I just can't.

I'm sure Smartthings can work with Nest at least. Can't it to Rheem, Bali, Chamberlain? Those seem like big brands not to support... But the problem I have with Smartthings is that it requires too much tinkering from what I'm reading. Wink is on the other end of the spectrum and doesn't allow enough tinkering! However, it is pretty sweet how Wink easily integrates with these other brands.

Modes/Scenes is something that I consistently harp on with Wink internally... here's hoping we get something like that.

RodolfoDLV

Aug 28, 2015
I'm sure Smartthings can work with Nest at least. Can't it to Rheem, Bali, Chamberlain? Those seem like big brands not to support... But the problem I have with Smartthings is that it requires too much tinkering from what I'm reading. Wink is on the other end of the spectrum and doesn't allow enough tinkering! However, it is pretty sweet how Wink easily integrates with these other brands.
It can work with Nest through either an app some developers created or through IFTTT, but no official Nest support. ST can work either way. You can either go and choose their officially supported products and just play with them, or you could decide to tinker with things. You don't necessarily have to tinker. Granted, having to look through their smartapps may seem complicated for some people, but they have the option.

Modes/Scenes is something that I consistently harp on with Wink internally... here's hoping we get something like that.
Pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase, keep on to them until they either shoot you or decide to do it. Using Shortcuts runs short. Is there a way I can get myself to be a beta tester of of the app? How did you get inside Wink?

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Obviously I can't talk about specifics... but I am seeing. I know it'd be great if they told everyone more about what's going. I can't make them do that, but I do understand your position. I'm just saying that for whatever my anonymous internet user word is worth to you, I'm seeing really cool things coming. I'm chomping at the bit to be able to geek out with people over it all, too! I just can't.

Oh, I'm not blaming you and I don't expect you to spill the beans. I was just hoping you could push them to release some info. :D

The system is getting to the point where I feel I can roll out home automation throughout the house. Right now I have it confined to my office, some Trippers on my garage doors, and some Casetas in my bar. The wife has complained about the robot delay with the Casetas so if local control can come soon, I think it will be a big win and she'll be less reluctant to indulge in my geekiness. I'm already thinking I'll likely go with a Ring doorbell, Nest thermostat, some additional Trippers, and maybe some cameras around the house over the next few months.

MjnMixael

Aug 17, 2014
I really love the Nest thermostat. I know a lot of people also really like Ecobee, but I never used it. It took about a month for Nest to learn our habits and now I rarely touch it.

EDIT: And we are actually about to buy a new water heater because our current one can't keep up... so I'll probably check out Rheem, too.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
I really love the Nest thermostat. I know a lot of people also really like Ecobee, but I never used it. It took about a month for Nest to learn our habits and now I rarely touch it.

EDIT: And we are actually about to buy a new water heater because our current one can't keep up... so I'll probably check out Rheem, too.
We have an ecobee and it works very well. Biggest improvement for us is the temp averaging over 3 remote sensors. Our upper floor would get too hot during the summer since the thermostat was on the main and we have a single zone. This helps massively. Not to mention being able to turn the fan on for x mins rather Tha just being on or off.

RodolfoDLV

Aug 28, 2015
We have an ecobee and it works very well. Biggest improvement for us is the temp averaging over 3 remote sensors. Our upper floor would get too hot during the summer since the thermostat was on the main and we have a single zone. This helps massively. Not to mention being able to turn the fan on for x mins rather Tha just being on or off.

This was the main reason I started with the whole HA. I have a Nest and the second floor was just to hot. I still don't get why Nest hasn't come out with temperature sensors of their own to improve that. After I got my Spotters connected with my Wink hub, problem kind of solved. 1st gen Spotter Robots are terrible.

MjnMixael

Aug 17, 2014
Nest uses their Protect smoke alarm to help average the temps in the house. Of course they are much more expensive than Ecobee sensors. Nest can also run the fan for X minutes.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007

Oh, that sounds VERY interesting to me. I'll have to look into Ecobee with remote sensors. I also have a two-story house with only 1 zone and remote sensors would be really cool. I haven't kept up - it is fully supported in Wink yet?

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Oh, that sounds VERY interesting to me. I'll have to look into Ecobee with remote sensors. I also have a two-story house with only 1 zone and remote sensors would be really cool. I haven't kept up - it is fully supported in Wink yet?
Don't know. I have nexia, switching to smartthings soon

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Ah, OK. Yeah, I went ahead and preordered the SmartThings v2.0 bundle as well - can't wait to play with it.
The ecobee is much cheaper than the other remote sensor alternatives like Honeywell red link. It's not perfecr, not like mulizone bit is a huge improvement. You can also remove the main thermostat from the average which allows you to get even more local.

CAL7

Sep 29, 2014
While waiting for delivery of my v2, I've whiled away too many hours browsing the ST community. I'm definitely suffering from the "grass is greener" syndrome, so take it FWIW, but I really love the flexibility that a gung-ho community offers. With Wink, I'm completely dependent upon an underfunded entity to support devices and applications; with ST, you make a wish and developers provide the code (or so it seems). Reminds me a lot of XDA for my phone and tablet.

Ditto the other thousand voices of despair over Lutron support. I'll be keeping Wink going in parallel until ST offers a solution. I'd like to also say I'm going to fairly evaluate both side-by-side, but you can probably tell that Wink is histoire with me and it'll take a Hail Mary to get me back.

Mike A.

Apr 19, 2015
While waiting for delivery of my v2, I've whiled away too many hours browsing the ST community. I'm definitely suffering from the "grass is greener" syndrome, so take it FWIW, but I really love the flexibility that a gung-ho community offers. With Wink, I'm completely dependent upon an underfunded entity to support devices and applications; with ST, you make a wish and developers provide the code (or so it seems). Reminds me a lot of XDA for my phone and tablet.

That's one area where I think that Wink's really fallen down - having some sort of official community/developer forum. Surprising to me given how community-centric they are/were on the Quirky side. They've got a great box. Probably too late now but if they'd opened things up and been more supportive I think that they could have built a much stronger user and product base. Missed a big opportunity there I think.

RodolfoDLV

Aug 28, 2015
That's one area where I think that Wink's really fallen down - having some sort of official community/developer forum. Surprising to me given how community-centric they are/were on the Quirky side. They've got a great box. Probably too late now but if they'd opened things up and been more supportive I think that they could have built a much stronger user and product base. Missed a big opportunity there I think.

I think they can still catch up. There are a lot of Wink customers. I just think that the ST costumers are more technology oriented. They've got many developers on the forum and people that really do their research there. Wink, I believe has many customers that just picked it up at Home Depot for the lights and when they go online, there's nothing much. No offense to anyone, but the Anandtech forums aren't the most user friendly.;)

Last edited:

colinnwn

Dec 28, 2014
I think they can still catch up. There are a lot of Wink customers. I just think that the ST costumers are more technology oriented. They've got many developers on the forum and people that really do their research there. Wink, I believe has many customers that just picked it up at Home Depot for the lights and when they go online, there's nothing much. No offense to anyone, but the Anandtech forums aren't the most user friendly.;)
Using it through Tapatalk is much more friendly.

JFHughes08088

Jan 14, 2015
For anyone who has one. The motion sensor works but seems slow. I wanted to use it to turn on a bathroom light upon entry and off 15 minutes after no motion detected. The lag on the turn off is no big deal but it should turn on quicker. Hell, trippers do a better job. Is my experience consistent with what others have experienced?

Last edited:

RodolfoDLV

Aug 28, 2015
Same experience here. Robots tend to have a lag, but the motion sensor itself is very laggy. I don't know if it varies anything by trying the Eco-Link, Monoprice or the GoControl brand, but they all seem to be the very same sensor with different names.
In my experience, Zigbee works generally faster than Z-wave devices, and it tends to be slower when there is some Z-wave to Zigbee pathway (i.e. motion sensor to turn on smart light bulbs). But this is my experience, maybe someone has a different one.

NewTron

Jul 1, 2015
For anyone who has one. The motion sensor works but seems slow. I wanted to use it to turn on a bathroom light upon entry and off 15 minutes after no motion detected. The lag on the turn off is no big deal but it should turn on quicker. Hell, trippers do a better job. Is my experience consistent with what others have experienced?

I had the same basic requirement, I needed a fast detecting sensor in one of my bathrooms. The only system that met that requirement was a Wemo Motion detector paired with Wemo light switch. It works well.

I've migrated mostly away from Wemo, except for this one application. It's fast, picking up motion within two seconds and turning on the light switch for 15 minutes.

The reason it's fast is it doesn't have to communicate with a hub. Otherwise the Wemo System is way to inflexible for all my other requirements.

RodolfoDLV

Aug 28, 2015
Has anyone tried with success the GE 12730 Z-wave fan control switch? I'd love to control my ceiling fans through my Wink hub, but I don't want to go over the installation to find out it doesn't work.
If not the GE switch, has anyone tried a different one?

Thanks!:)

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Has anyone tried with success the GE 12730 Z-wave fan control switch? I'd love to control my ceiling fans through my Wink hub, but I don't want to go over the installation to find out it doesn't work.
If not the GE switch, has anyone tried a different one?

Thanks!:)

On the 12730's Amazon page, one of the answered questions says it does work with Wink. However, my understanding is:

1. You have to have a neutral wire.
2. You have to currently have a hardwired speed control switch.

I was thinking about just using a GE on/off switch for my fan, as I have it set to the high speed via the pull chain.

MjnMixael

Aug 17, 2014
Home Automation companies are starting to actually make things for ceiling fans.. I'm hoping Wink gets something integrated soon. I'd honestly just wait and see what happens. Would hate to spend $50 on something that Wink kinda supports only to suddenly see them support something else fully.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Looks like the latest beta is adding Ecobee support. woot!

In other news, my SmartThings v2 kit should be shipping very soon. Anxious to see it in action.